Finding Reindeer?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Bluejay
Scout

Re: Finding Reindeer?

Post by Bluejay »

HooCairs wrote:
Bluejay wrote:HooCairs.... When you see the circle on the Huntermate is it only half the distance to all animals or just the reindeer.
I did not know this about the circles on the huntermate.
The circle is very accurate for most animals. You will see this when you follow an animal and then it calls, the calling symbol will be pretty exactly on the circle. However some animals roam fast and the circle is off. For brown bears you can add 20-50%, for reindeer 100% or even more. Another one is a trotting feral hog after it was spooked or when it is catching up to the rest of its group. The circle is then totally off too.

In my reindeer video I follow a bull and then he calls. Here is the situation from the video. Since it is the tracked animal that calls, the circle stays. You can see that the bull is double the distance away.

If you know this, you can run until the radius of the circle is only half the distance to the edge of the Huntermate screen.
Thanks Hoo!
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

I wasn't here 45 minutes and a tribe of reindeers showed up. The biggest male said 420 to 620 score. I shoot it and the score was 421. I have a 446 for the contest, I need a bigger one.

g
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Here is a little strategy to hunt Reindeer.
First off,.. the Reindeer can migrate through the map practically anywhere from any direction so don't take it for granted that the Reindeer routes ( the red dotted lines with arrows on the end of them) I placed on the map below are what they will do, these are just example routes for you to understand Reindeer migration.
Hunting on high ridges (green dashed lines) and over-seeing open spaces are a good way of spotting reindeer at long distances, so covering these areas will give you an
advantage of seeing them instead of being in thick timber where your view is hindered on long distances.
The bright yellow asterisk's on the map below are where I would start looking for Reindeer as I commonly find them there. The orange asterisk's I would consider checking those areas of the map
secondary, and the gold asterisk's on the east side of the map if hunting is slow on the west side.
The thing about Reindeer hunting is if you do find a spot where Reindeer are traveling through the map it sometimes pays off to stick around a little while longer
as sometimes a few more herds may pass through the same general area and using a weapon like a bow will keep from spooking them down to a minimum, and using a tree stand
would probably be your best advantage in a situation like that..
If you do happen to see a big male, don't hesitate to shoot it with whatever weapon you're comfortable with hitting it. Remember if you don't hit it and then it may travel out of the hunting boundary.
Good Luck Reindeer Hunting.
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

gas56 wrote:Here is a little strategy to hunt Reindeer.
First off,.. the Reindeer can migrate through the map practically anywhere from any direction so don't take it for granted that the Reindeer routes ( the red dotted lines with arrows on the end of them) I placed on the map below are what they will do, these are just example routes for you to understand Reindeer migration.
Hunting on high ridges (green dashed lines) and over-seeing open spaces are a good way of spotting reindeer at long distances, so covering these areas will give you an
advantage of seeing them instead of being in thick timber where your view is hindered on long distances.
The bright yellow asterisk's on the map below are where I would start looking for Reindeer as I commonly find them there. The orange asterisk's I would consider checking those areas of the map
secondary, and the gold asterisk's on the east side of the map if hunting is slow on the west side.
The thing about Reindeer hunting is if you do find a spot where Reindeer are traveling through the map it sometimes pays off to stick around a little while longer
as sometimes a few more herds may pass through the same general area and using a weapon like a bow will keep from spooking them down to a minimum, and using a tree stand
If you do happen to see a big male, don't hesitate to shoot it with whatever weapon you're comfortable with hitting it. Remember if you don't hit it and then it may travel out of the hunting boundary.
What's up GAS, I'll read this later.

I have to thank ronMctube for this spot. I've had 3 groups of reindeers come by. Just got a 491 male which jumped me to 6th place. The biggest I've ever had was a 599 (wow, my footer says a 634, I don't remember that.) where I used to find reindeer anytime. But nothing now.

thanks
g
Last edited by sircaptgordo on September 22nd, 2018, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

congrats keep at it. :D

also as you noticed lynx will be near . ;)
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

ronMctube wrote:congrats keep at it. :D

also as you noticed lynx will be near . ;)
He be ded.

Update: Bam, a 533 reindeer.

Update: I just had a Lynx and a group of reindeer coming at me from the same direction. I don't know if one of them saw me or they saw each other. But all of a sudden the reindeer turned and started running and then the lynx took off. I was up in a tree stand.
Last edited by sircaptgordo on September 22nd, 2018, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Picture looks great Gas except that the travel routes are a perfect straight line. Or has this changed?
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

HooCairs wrote:Picture looks great Gas except that the travel routes are a perfect straight line. Or has this changed?
No,.. Hoo,.. these were just example routes just showing how Reindeer travel across the map.
They only look like that when I shoot at them and chase them............ ;)
Threwlys
Tracker

Post by Threwlys »

gas56 wrote:Here is a little strategy to hunt Reindeer.
Amazing! Thanks, gas56. I'll try this.

Return to “General Chat”