Finding Reindeer?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
hismaimai2000

Finding Reindeer?

Post by hismaimai2000 »

Hello everyone, I seem to be having some trouble finding reindeer, i've been scowering Hemmedal for the species, and haven't even found tracks. I am aware that they're a migrating animal, but an strategies to find the animals, Hoocairs' strategy didn't seem to work for me.
Any support would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Dịch vụ rut ham cau gia re tận tâm công ty rút hầm cầu giá rẻ chuyên nghiệp
Seifer
Hunter

Re: Finding Reindeer?

Post by Seifer »

When it comes to reindeer what I do is just wander around listening for the audio clues that they make. They do make some sounds that aren't picked up by the HM. When I hear them then I use the Reindeer Rattle to call them to my position.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

In my experience a good way to find them is start in the northern lodge and walk to Grimulfr's Sten, in that area i spend some time awaiting, and cheeking for other animals like Bears and Moose, eventually the Reindeer will show up, now have a chance to find the Lynx around too, just walk there and eventually you will spot or hear the Reindeer, also in that area the visibility is wide for clear shoots.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

hismaimai2000 wrote:Hoocairs' strategy didn't seem to work for me.
If you mean the entry points, they changed them some time after the video. Look more on the western end.

It is best to run around until you find tracks, then follow them. That part can still be done as shown in the video. Never follow them walking or you won't catch up in most cases before they leave the reserve. Also remember that when you see a circle on the Huntermate it will only be half the distance to where they actually are. They roam faster than any other species.

There was a bug reported where apparently shots make reindeer spawn. So don't be afraid of making noise. Keep running and use loud guns. Sound stupid but works.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Bluejay
Scout

Post by Bluejay »

HooCairs wrote:
hismaimai2000 wrote:Hoocairs' strategy didn't seem to work for me.
If you mean the entry points, they changed them some time after the video. Look more on the western end.

It is best to run around until you find tracks, then follow them. That part can still be done as shown in the video. Never follow them walking or you won't catch up in most cases before they leave the reserve. Also remember that when you see a circle on the Huntermate it will only be half the distance to where they actually are. They roam faster than any other species.

There was a bug reported where apparently shots make reindeer spawn. So don't be afraid of making noise. Keep running and use loud guns. Sound stupid but works.
HooCairs.... When you see the circle on the Huntermate is it only half the distance to all animals or just the reindeer.
I did not know this about the circles on the huntermate.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

there pretty simple to get try my new route made other day.

start at 11am. from this tent position. co ords X 7256 Y -4300 . walk in a line same as this picture straight to my treestand position. you may get reindeer call within 1 minute sometimes.just sit in the treestand you will get reindeer either pass the point or around you.i just checked and within 1 minute reindeer called and reindeer tracks were under my stand. hope it helps.

https://postimg.cc/1g6w936j
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Bluejay wrote:HooCairs.... When you see the circle on the Huntermate is it only half the distance to all animals or just the reindeer.
I did not know this about the circles on the huntermate.
The circle is very accurate for most animals. You will see this when you follow an animal and then it calls, the calling symbol will be pretty exactly on the circle. However some animals roam fast and the circle is off. For brown bears you can add 20-50%, for reindeer 100% or even more. Another one is a trotting feral hog after it was spooked or when it is catching up to the rest of its group. The circle is then totally off too.

In my reindeer video I follow a bull and then he calls. Here is the situation from the video. Since it is the tracked animal that calls, the circle stays. You can see that the bull is double the distance away.

If you know this, you can run until the radius of the circle is only half the distance to the edge of the Huntermate screen.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

My only tips (im not great at hunting them either)

1- Run after their tracks if you find any sets, they roam in perfectly straight lines so if they are far and headed to a lodge spawning there could help cut them off
2- When they call i like to run right towards them to get a little closer before i stop and call
3- Don't expect a 600+ they are super rare
4- Only males come into calls but the females follow the male
5- always make sure the entire herd is spotted before taking the male, there could be a rare (also is very rare)

I'm by no means a professional at reindeer hunting, hell i don't even think i'm good, but these are what i use after watching videos and hunting with friends that are much more experienced.
Nathan22Outdoors
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

ronMctube wrote:there pretty simple to get try my new route made other day.

start at 11am. from this tent position. co ords X 7256 Y -4300 . walk in a line same as this picture straight to my treestand position. you may get reindeer call within 1 minute sometimes.just sit in the treestand you will get reindeer either pass the point or around you.i just checked and within 1 minute reindeer called and reindeer tracks were under my stand. hope it helps.

https://postimg.cc/1g6w936j
I'll be trying that spot out today. I had a spot up north where reindeer came by all day through this valley. Now nothing, I've sit there 3 times this week and nothing. Yesterday I seen like 3 tracks, sit there for 3 or 4 real hours and nothing.

thanks
g

I'm in your spot and the first animal to greet me was a Lynx female.
Last edited by sircaptgordo on September 22nd, 2018, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

while you trying to nail down hotspots or routes no point in sitting in places for hrs. try short stints. then log the location. then try other areas and log any good results try again see if its repeatable.

many older guides arent great now or things been tweaked or changed. sometimes by bugs or unforseen changes. just adapt and try different things. its the only way to be really on point with things since the serverside changes.

Return to “General Chat”