Animal Fleeing AI Rework

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Animal Fleeing AI Rework

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hey all,

We are starting to look into changing the animal fleeing AI, but were wondering if it is going to be something you actually want? Currently it is a little unrealistic and predictable.

So the question I want to ask is "Would you like to see the animal fleeing AI more randomised, or would this change be too drastic and infuriating?"

Please do not reply with other examples of AI that needs to be changed, this is potentially a first step into getting some changes in other areas as well.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

TK
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Animal Fleeing AI Rework

Post by HooCairs »

A hunter will say "Yes make it more realistic".
A Gamer such as myself will say "leave it as it is".
And as an IT guy I would add "Never change a running system". You have other things to worry about right now such as fixing lots of bugs. You might open another can of worms here that you won't be able to close anymore.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

i wouldnt mess with that.try and find what the same people can do but would have a better effect on the game than animals fleeing.

heres how i would see it. you do ai rework.after its done it gets implemented. if its worse than what we have now it will stay.so all those resources kinda wasted.
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

I would like to see the fleeing a bit more random.

You can see videos on youtube of hunters with "buck fever", missing an animal 5 times and the animal is not running away.

Would be nice to see that animals react to the shot and by chance just run a few meters instead of always fleeing ~100 meters.

MfG L.E.

Jagdreviermeister

Post by Jagdreviermeister »

I share Hoo's opinion on this.
But let me have a thought: As of yet the fleeing AI kinda worked (more or less) and I got used to it. I wouldn't say that the fleeing behaviour is unrealistic. I mean, it doesn't negatively influences my hunting experience. Predictable? Maybe. But by observing roe bucks near my house I can say that their fleeing behaviour is pretty similar to those from tH (besides the barking. They sometimes bark before fleeing i.o. warn the others.) However, change is good if bugs can be fixed along with it. And that is the only point that woud make me give green lighs for the randomized AI: If it provides animals from getting stuck in the landscape. E.g. if they suddenly make 90°-180° turns or so.
Last edited by Jagdreviermeister on September 21st, 2018, 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
wintergoose
Outfitter

Post by wintergoose »

I agrees in the hunter statement : make it more realistic.

What has alweys iritated me in gaming that are baced on real live happenings are that we know how the real tings are working but many avoid that and plays how the programming works and dont tryes to be realistic.

This is a difficult balance and spesialy in competitions. And it is impossible to makes rules fore.

Therefor I will prefere a system as like the real thing that possible.
In hunting more randomising are not always the most real behavier. Many animals has apredictible behavier.
iz_da
Scout

Post by iz_da »

Hoo and Ron have a very valid point, which I also share.

It's not fun to play the game at the moment. Pulsar doesn't work properly, there is the "Zoom lag" thing, Bobcats screwed up the reserves, far too many Wolves etc etc.

And many players miss the acknowledgement that these issues actually exist. It feels like the bug section in this forum is just being handled as an appendix these days - something that's there, but isn't really of use.
Spoiler:
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

there is numerous things locking up at the moment. binos, range finders. i slid down a hill yesterday in the live stream couldnt look up.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

i like the idea of anything that makes the game a little more difficult and less predictable. however i can see that making it anymore complex than it already is could end in tears. its not uncommon to find an animal fleeing backwards and forwards or in a circle as it is. but im confident if done right it could open other A.I doors and be a much richer game because of it so im behind the risk
Last edited by L3M182 on September 21st, 2018, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Threwlys
Tracker

Post by Threwlys »

It's "amazing" how the gamers in this forum ask for years for so many Y THINGS and out of the blue the devs come with X THINGS as if they were pure geniuses and if their ideias was the most important and interesting to do at the moment. :( :( :(

That's why day by day i'm becoming more and more frustrated with this game and don't even play so often: they don't listen to the costumers.

Return to “General Chat”