Animal Fleeing AI Rework

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Animal Fleeing AI Rework

Post by gas56 »

@Tree Kiwi
Thanks for the better explanation of that question.
Hopefully everything goes as planned as I know it will,..
and will keep working with the ongoing process of improvement as it has in the past.
Bugs will always arise when things are added just like in the past also,..
so it will be no surprise to expect anything different, and when they do I have never ever seen the majority of players not give
support in finding them.................................. ;)
The old saying that "if you don't jump in the water you won't never learn to swim" and I guess I'm am the only old fart that has any faith in
progress even for EW. Press on an make believers out of everyone because this game deserves the update.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Djehmli wrote:I would hope during the asset design specification process, an impact study had taken place prior to the first bit of code being written...
I've read your posts in this thread and I agree with everything you've said. The processes you describe are what all development teams should practice, no matter the size or project. In reality though, we both know that's often not the case. I've done consultancy work for many companies, ranging in size from small fry to blue chip. Right now I'm doing consultancy work for two massive US companies and I can assure you that even there, bad practices occur that would leave you scratching your head in disbelief.

The difficulty with your expectation which I've quoted is that this is a fairly intricate and complex game in terms of gameplay and mechanics, and whilst TreeKiwi plays the game often and can tell the developers what actions might impact other parts of the game, he can't make a determination as to whether a proposed feature or change is going to negatively impact certain bits code. The only people who might be able to make that judgement almost certainly don't play the game anywhere near enough to understand how the game works. Testing certainly helps with the detection of many bugs but with a finite amount of time there are always going to be releases that result in a lot of frustration and reputational damage.

I'm not defending Expansive Worlds, but having peeked behind the curtain I understand that not all bad releases are a result of poor planning or testing. Sometimes things just have to be released, whether they're ready or not. It frustrates me massively just as I'm sure it frustrates TreeKiwi and other developers.

All that being said, my opinion is that if the new vehicle needs to trigger fleeing then perhaps this might be an opportunity to add a new type of fleeing specific to that source (vehicles). That way existing AI (and I use that term loosely since none of this is actually AI in any way shape or form) can remain untouched and a new type of fleeing can be introduced, with a view to adding more types in the future.

My advice is definitely not to touch anything that currently works.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

caledonianblues wrote:My advice is definitely not to touch anything that currently works.
In other words with so many things that are already broken then don't touch the little bit that is ...........:lol:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

gas56 wrote:
caledonianblues wrote:My advice is definitely not to touch anything that currently works.
In other words with so many things that are already broken then don't touch the little bit that does ...........:lol:

Agree, but apparently the problems are when something new that wasn't supposed touch a working features do unintentionally touch it, by example the Pointer dog, that has nothing to do with the Scent Hound, but after releasing the Pointer it messed the hound, or ERR and the bait barrels, etc, often is not what you are trying to change or introduce what is broken, but something that may be completely unrelated at first sight.

And we cant blame the devs for wanting introduce new features like vehicles, after all new things sell, and this game need to sell to keep afloat, is not a massive mmo, but a niche one, must be hard to try balance bug fixing and introduce new thing to keep the blue numbers. But Devs must not forget that fixing bug is a way to keep the trust of the faithful members that eventually must decide renew or not a membership and support the game ;) .

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

for me, the animals flee way to early and after being shot, run way to far before dying.....not to mention that they don't respond to the callers very well......but, there nothing can do except grap about it.....so sad, but i keep hunting.......if i was young and had a girlfriend, my money would be going someplace and i'd have a BIG smile on my face......oh well,"C'est la vie" that's life, huh... :lol:
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

outrider wrote:for me, the animals flee way to early and after being shot, run way to far before dying.....not to mention that they don't respond to the callers very well......but, there nothing can do except grap about it.....so sad, but i keep hunting.......if i was young and had a girlfriend, my money would be going someplace and i'd have a BIG smile on my face......oh well,"C'est la vie" that's life, huh... :lol:
Well it's not really a joke but a lot of things are just the way it is and you might as well take it with a grin..........
At least for today......... :D
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

gas56 wrote:
outrider wrote:for me, the animals flee way to early and after being shot, run way to far before dying.....not to mention that they don't respond to the callers very well......but, there nothing can do except grap about it.....so sad, but i keep hunting.......if i was young and had a girlfriend, my money would be going someplace and i'd have a BIG smile on my face......oh well,"C'est la vie" that's life, huh... :lol:
Well it's not really a joke but a lot of things are just the way it is and you might as well take it with a grin..........
At least for today......... :D
as i said...."C'est la vie" that's life..... :D
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

i cant see thehunter ever being the bug free game we all want, tbh i cant see it ever being better than it was 12 months ago. in the years ive been playing its stability, durability and overall condition has steadily declined and if you look at it for what it is can we expect anything else?. It was born from a heavily modified just cause 2 engine, its now a decade old had multiple owners and had so many staff members chop into it youd need a football stadium to host a reunion. staff that by and large have mostly been interns, who by definition are learning what to do on the job and are expected to make mistakes and cannot have it held against them as much as we do

if it were a car it would be a kit car made from parts from manufacturers that arnt about anymore, that got snapped up by the local engineering college, a generation of kids have botched an oil change on it. Of the 3 lecturers one never had a driving licence, the other was a bike man and the 3rd ran of with the gym teacher. The MOT was a forgery and some sod had stole the spare wheel. :D

it just so happens its my favorite car which is very frustrating
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

The noise distance to spook an animal when placing a tree stand seems to have grown since the sound disappeared. I may be wrong and probably are, I think I used to be closer to an animal and place the tree stand without spooking. To me I have noticed it quite a few times.

I figure some animals spook easier than others even in the game. I was in a wide open space a couple days ago when I got a male reindeer roar over this hill. The hill was from say the middle of the huntermate to over half the distance to the edge. Then the first reindeer flee print was at the opposite side base of the hill. I could hear the rattle so I was looking in that direction and couldn't see the male yet.

It spooked when I put my tree stand on a tree. I even walked backwards from where I was at to try and make sure it didn't spook. But it did and it was a big one by the huntermate's numbers.

Anyway, I'd like to see the distance the tree stand spooks an animal be smaller. And if it did change at the time the sound quit, then put back at least where it was.

thanks
g
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

sircaptgordo wrote:The noise distance to spook an animal when placing a tree stand seems to have grown since the sound disappeared. I may be wrong and probably are, I think I used to be closer to an animal and place the tree stand without spooking. To me I have noticed it quite a few times.

I figure some animals spook easier than others even in the game. I was in a wide open space a couple days ago when I got a male reindeer roar over this hill. The hill was from say the middle of the huntermate to over half the distance to the edge. Then the first reindeer flee print was at the opposite side base of the hill. I could hear the rattle so I was looking in that direction and couldn't see the male yet.

It spooked when I put my tree stand on a tree. I even walked backwards from where I was at to try and make sure it didn't spook. But it did and it was a big one by the huntermate's numbers.

Anyway, I'd like to see the distance the tree stand spooks an animal be smaller. And if it did change at the time the sound quit, then put back at least where it was.

thanks
g

Sometimes is not the animal you see the one that spook, by example you can detect a reindeer at 120mts, then place the treestand thinking that is far enough to not scare it, but maybe what you didn't see was a bear or a roe that was closer, and that animal run away scaring the others, it happens often in areas with low visibility like forest, and in my personal experience is very annoying when you are trying to place a treestand to lure a buck in range for the bow and suddenly discover a unseen doe running and scaring the whole forest. :o

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “General Chat”