Animal Fleeing AI Rework

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Mills
Outfitter

Re: Animal Fleeing AI Rework

Post by Mills »

I'll be honest, I don't think it's something worth doing right now. As Hoo said, it'll most likely create more hassle than it's worth.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

mapache01 wrote:
Back old days you can bag 10-15, 20 turkeys in a good spot in just 5min, now try to find that spot and shot 10 turkeys in a roll in 10minutes, this a game to have fun, relax and for many hunters do what you cannot done IRL, now it's really boring to stay 1 hour (real) calling and trying to hunt turkeys, even in the past you can shot from more than 100mts a Turkey with a rifle and just the closer ones flee, now bye bye entire flock around 50mts and wait 10min to some show up.
This may be a little over-exaggerated in just 5 or 10 minutes time.

2) Fix the magazine and loading sequence of all bolt rifles with magazine like .300, .243, .270

Now this would be great to have done making these rifles no longer being a single shot. I don't know what other hunting game made these rifles single shots?
Oh............probably because all the other hunting games before the hunter was made by Americans and know what most real experienced hunters use............
at least across the pond.
the reason must have been game balance.................... :lol:
Bluejay
Scout

Post by Bluejay »

I wonder if this is something they have to do for the implementation of the vehicle we are getting, or in some way tied to it.
If so, we probably will have no choice, not that we do anyway. I honestly don't believe they truly care what the community thinks.
Anymore I cringe when I see that there is a game update..... always just more broken stuff that never gets fixed.
Last edited by Bluejay on September 21st, 2018, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ehr_Icaar
Scout

Post by ehr_Icaar »

Improving the fleeing AI is something that can make the game a lot better imo.
If it's done good, it can take the game to a whole new level actually.
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

Fleeing AI as in what?
If you are talking about how they flee when our arrow or bullet hits them, i think yes, seeing a deer kick up his back legs when we hit it with an arrow or something would be amazing and super realistic.

If you are talking about the fleeing/ running animations, some animals could use work but some are ok IMO. Moose definitely do not look the best in this game, The fleeing and trotting moose animations in COTW are absolutely spot on and i think we need those animations in this game 100%
Nathan22Outdoors
Beldin
Scout

Post by Beldin »

TreeKiwi wrote:We are starting to look into changing the animal fleeing AI, but were wondering if it is going to be something you actually want? Currently it is a little unrealistic and predictable.
I crawled through this thread, and had to return to see your exact original wording. So you are looking into changing instead of improving. Changing it doesn't sound like a good idea at this point, as in my opinion the word "change" hints towards something very different from what we have now. And that would most likely lead into more bugs, while you apparently haven't even got a list of most urgent bugs to fix sorted out yet.

However, if you are planning on improving animal fleeing AI specifically on those occasions where it is just stupid, I'm all in for that, and I'm sure just about everyone agrees. I would be really happy to see improvements such as a bear actually finding a new route instead of running two minutes on the same spot, stuck between a tree and a rock, and so on... E.g. if an animal is in fleeing state and it's coordinates don't change at all in several seconds, something must be wrong and it should choose a new direction to go to.

As a general improvement, I wouldn't mind a little more randomness to where the animals flee though. Some more turns here and there would require us to keep our eyes open, instead of being able to simply draw a straight line from the first two or three fleeing tracks and follow that. This kind of update could also make the bloodhounds more useful, as I have never really needed them for tracking. Only use of them tends to be an extra backpack for ammo, if I'm going for a long session.
Spoiler:
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Nathan112244 wrote:Fleeing AI as in what?
If you are talking about how they flee when our arrow or bullet hits them, i think yes, seeing a deer kick up his back legs when we hit it with an arrow or something would be amazing and super realistic.

If you are talking about the fleeing/ running animations, some animals could use work but some are ok IMO. Moose definitely do not look the best in this game, The fleeing and trotting moose animations in COTW are absolutely spot on and i think we need those animations in this game 100%
He means that animals will randomly spook away for no absolutely no reason, like they do in CotW. For example; You're sitting in a tree stand, you are calling in a below-average buck and you have set up your shot perfectly(camo, scent elim, wind, no other animal within 300m of you, etc., everything perfect, you know what you're doing, you know that in less than thirty seconds you WILL be hitting this animal), when all of a sudden it spooks for a 100% non game-related reason other than the RNG rolled a 1 on it's "animal, do you want to run away now, and also spook everything else around you, yes or no?" roll. This doesn't happen now or has ever happened in the game, each and every animal you've ever seen or heard spook has been triggered by something whether or not you knew exactly how it got spooked. Thus the "infuriating" part of the OP. EW is not talking about animations, they're not going to re-animate every single animal's fleeing animation in the game, that's ridiculous and no would be "infuriated" even if they did ..which again, they're not.

TreeKiwi wrote:Hey all,

We are starting to look into changing the animal fleeing AI, but were wondering if it is going to be something you actually want? Currently it is a little unrealistic and predictable.

So the question I want to ask is "Would you like to see the animal fleeing AI more randomised, or would this change be too drastic and infuriating?"

Please do not reply with other examples of AI that needs to be changed, this is potentially a first step into getting some changes in other areas as well.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

TK
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

ronMctube wrote:maybe this in the future https://twitter.com/i/status/1043197762597253120 :D
No way, Ron! The dall sheep in the game aren't even able to flee from a slope. ;)
Image Image Image
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

gas56 wrote:
mapache01 wrote:
Back old days you can bag 10-15, 20 turkeys in a good spot in just 5min, now try to find that spot and shot 10 turkeys in a roll in 10minutes, this a game to have fun, relax and for many hunters do what you cannot done IRL, now it's really boring to stay 1 hour (real) calling and trying to hunt turkeys, even in the past you can shot from more than 100mts a Turkey with a rifle and just the closer ones flee, now bye bye entire flock around 50mts and wait 10min to some show up.
This may be a little over-exaggerated in just 5 or 10 minutes time.
....:
Back in those days I use to harvest all turkeys as soon as end shooting, parker Python was the Stealth/Super silenced bow for the task and Whitehart Island still the best for turkey over SCreek, back in those days was a PARADISE and really really fun to hunt Turkeys

Here's a hunt expedition back in 2015 (3 in 3 minutes) 1 per minute
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/mapa ... n/55308785

Here's another expedition 2015 - Harvest from 2015-11-28 10:27 to 2015-11-28 10:32 that's 5 minutes , 4 Turkeys in a roll
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/mapa ... n/55370914

2014 - from 2014-01-25 11:11 to 2014-01-25 11:14 3 Minutes - 6 Turkeys;
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/mapa ... n/27091017
Last edited by mapache01 on September 21st, 2018, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”