Best weapon in game, what is your favorite?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Beldin
Scout

Re: Best weapon in game, what is your favorite?

Post by Beldin »

I'm going to split my answer to three parts. Let's start with rifles.

For a very long time, my favorite has been .300 Bolt Action Rifle - it's ethical for nearly all of the animals I hunt in this game, and is also accurate and powerful enough even at long distances. I remember shooting a lot at the edges of old render range, and have had a few 300m-ish heart shots on bigger animals with new render ranges. My current go-to weapon is 7mm Magnum Bullpup Rifle though. It feel it's very similar to the .300, and somehow I like the sound more. Whatever the above rifles aren't ethical for, I shoot with a bow or crossbow.

Speaking of bows/crossbows, I would say my favorite is the good old Parker Python. Pulsar that I only purchased recently is a good one as well, but it goes down the list to position 3 (after Python and Tenpoint), simply because it forces me to reload all five arrows before I can shoot. In a situation where an animal surprises me, that's really annoying. We should have a way to take just one arrow when using that weapon.

And what about shotguns and handguns? I have no favorites in those categories, as I don't hunt birds or see much need for handguns. I only pick up my 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun or a specific handgun for occasional competitions where you have to use them. This is also why I am definitely not going to buy the new Drilling gun; I have absolutely no interest in paying a higher price for a rifle just to have a useless (well, useless to me) shotgun barrel included.
Spoiler:
BryanBSpivey

Post by BryanBSpivey »

I like the drilling is cool and also the Buffalo Rifle. From my view i think they are the best.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Is hard to say only one, for rifles i like the.30 o/u similar to the .300 in functionality but with a second shot, and i like how it looks. the for birds the 16ga Blaser, and for all around hunts, any compound bow, to take from Bison to rabbits.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Questions to ask yourself when selecting your rifle:
  • Which sights will fit on this rifle?
  • If I have to buy a sight, will this fit on other rifles?
  • How fast can I reload for follow-up shots?
  • Does it have a magazine for faster reloading?
  • How is the stability when aiming?
  • Do I like the overall look?
  • Which firing sound appeals to me?
  • Which iron sights appeal to me?
  • What is the list of permitted animals?
  • How much capacity does it take up in my inventory?
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

HooCairs wrote:Questions to ask yourself when selecting your rifle:
  • Which sights will fit on this rifle?
  • If I have to buy a sight, will this fit on other rifles?
  • How fast can I reload for follow-up shots?
  • Does it have a magazine for faster reloading?
  • How is the stability when aiming?
  • Do I like the overall look?
  • Which firing sound appeals to me?
  • Which iron sights appeal to me?
  • What is the list of permitted animals?
  • How much capacity does it take up in my inventory?
My list is much shorter.
  • Do I own it
:mrgreen:

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

As an update, I absolutely love the .300 composite. The sound is a beast, the power is amazing, accuracy's quite good, and it looks badass.

My main issue with it, however, is its weight, and wobble. The 7mm is lighter--it takes up less inventory space, and also wobbles less, for about the same performance. The .300 is only "four" capacity, while the 7mm is "3," but this still has an impact on both fronts. I'll still use the .300 for awhile regardless, as it's a beautiful gun (still no Stambecco) with a fantastic sound & power. The sound may be the best part, to be honest--it REALLY roars.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

My only complaint about the .300 is that is a bolt rifle with only one shot, a drawback that get almost nullified when you learn to put a shot in the right place and add the power of the.300, but i would like have more shots like in the .340, but then i think the .300 could be too op and bring unbalance to the force.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Easy .3000 Carbon, 7mm and 30-06 (great for pack of yotes, Mule Deer brothers),

I wish the .300 have the reload mechanism and magazine of 308 Carbon Bolt I'm using this one for Goats/Roos

Here's my new "toy" acquired last week , Browning Stalker .308

And here's what I carry normally. (40SW) my other pistols a Bull Cherokee and SIG 229 both 9mm
Hunter.Glass

Post by Hunter.Glass »

I also like the .30-06 Lever Action Rifle Forest Camo, it's my primary for Logger's Point. I also use certain weapons for certain reserves, but I switch it up some of the time so it's not my dead set loadout for a reserve. But my all time favorite is the .50 Cap Lock. ^^

Val-De-Bois - .45-70 Buffalo Rifle, 7mm Magnum Break Rifle, .45 Long Colt Revolver
Logger's Point - .30-06 Lever-Action Rifle Forest Camo, .17 HMR Lever Action Rifle (w/ High Velocity rounds), .44 Revolver
Whiterime Ridge - .300 .300 Bolt Action Rifle Winter Camo, .223 Semi-Automatic Rifle, .50 Cap Muzzleloader
Hemmeldal - .50 Cap Lock Muzzleloader (or .300 Carbon Rifle), .17 HMR (w/ HV) Lever-Action Rifle, .454 Revolver
Redfeather Falls - 7mm Magnum Break Action Rifle, Tenpoint Carbon Fusion Crossbow (because that's the only crossbow I own right now lol), .45 Long Colt Revolver
Timbergold Trails - .45-70 Buffalo Rifle, 7mm Magnum Break Action Rifle, .45 Long Colt
Bushranger's Run - .300 Carbon rifle, .17 HMR w/ HV (or .223), .44 Revolver
Rougarou Bayou - .50 Cap Lock Muzzleloader, .223 Semi-Automatic Rifle, .44 Revolver
~Glass
Favorite Caliber: .300 - Favorite Species: Bear - Hunting Since: 2015 - PC: AMD 1500X, 12GB, 1050 Ti
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Bluejay wrote:I like the parker, I have 17,775 kills with it.
If I had to pick a rifle I would choose the 30R.
Agreed. The 30R is my first choice now. I also have the 9.3x74R Break Action Rifle but find the 30R is flatter shooting, has more consistent accuracy and has better knockdown power on all the animals they share permissions for. For the really big stuff I still like the 45/70 lever action best.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.

Return to “General Chat”