Barren Hemmeldal

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Re: Barren Hemmeldal

Post by ronMctube »

the ptarmigans were better how they originally was.the constant flying is annoying dont get why it was changed. i loved hunting them the original way they were. as soon as the change was made never touched them since.
Beldin
Scout

Post by Beldin »

Oh, they haven't always been constantly flapping around? I can't remember such a change at all... but then again, I've never liked bird hunting anyway. Only exception is if I get my hands on an old Nintendo and a NES Zapper. :lol:
Spoiler:
Lindenborn
Tracker

Post by Lindenborn »

This was my fav map when I first started playing..it is more sad to me than anything else the shape of it now. Why would parts of the map be so barren? Please give this map some love. I filled my bear feeders..maybe a bear-lynx combo today.
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

ronMctube wrote:the ptarmigans were better how they originally was.the constant flying is annoying dont get why it was changed. i loved hunting them the original way they were. as soon as the change was made never touched them since.
I totally agree with you. Really loved them in the beginning.

That flapping sound is really annoying.

Devs, please do something about.

MfG L.E.

ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

Beldin wrote:Oh, they haven't always been constantly flapping around? I can't remember such a change at all... but then again, I've never liked bird hunting anyway. Only exception is if I get my hands on an old Nintendo and a NES Zapper. :lol:
originally you had to find them on VDB then flush them.shoot them in air or on floor.if they flew off they would land and settle down again. which was more realistic more fun. then they changed them and once spooked they in a almost constant spooked flight.in certain locations all you here is beating wings constantly.very annoying if you after a different species. it might even effect other animals.who knows.

putting them back how they were would be better.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

I must be playing a different game when hunting on Hemm because yesterday I saw so many animals while Lynx hunting.
Since this turned into a Ptarmigan Post here are my thoughts.
I don't think the Ptamigans has anything to do with how the other animals spawn rate is and the only real problem with them
is the circling flapping wing sound and the constant covey return of the same spot.
If they acted like pheasant flushing without all the ground running like a pheasant does and just flew away to another spot the first time they were flushed
that might limit all the noise they make when they would get out of earshot.
I believe EW deliberately made the wing flapping sound loud so when they fly in their unorthodox flee mode circling the area that then the player is able to hear & spot them and
shoot them. When they flush just out of range of a shotgun then you have ample time to get to some circling birds and maybe get a shot or two in on them then wait in that spot
for them to come back and shoot some more birds.
IMO when they are sitting tight and you flush them at your feet and they fly straight away from you then that would be the best scenario they could use on them for players
to shoot and that would be more realistic than it is now with all that circling they do in the game.
I really don't know how many times I've suggested this since they came out, but way too many times and they aren't listening...........
Maybe EW employees should have a Ptarmigan competition between themselves than they could hear what we've been saying all along.
What do you say Matt?
Does that sound good?
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

It took me a long time to take a look at the rock ptarmigans after they were released so I never got to witness how they first acted. For me, ever since I finally did take a look, they do indeed fly around far, far too much. That incessant flapping sound is a huge annoyance and immersion breaking. I always thought it was because they were looking for a space to land amongst all those VDB rocks, much like the way ducks and geese can hang in the air circling until they vector in on a suitable landing spot. The other two ptarmigan species don't take forever to land, so that's where theory stems from. I would much prefer if they acted like pheasant usually do and just duck down instead of taking to the air. This makes much more sense to me because those exact same big rocks make spotting the birds on the ground extremely difficult. So, since they appear to have such a hard time finding a landing spot in them, what better place for them to hunker down and hide in? Seems like a no-brainer to me too, Gas. EW, please adjust the rock ptarmigan to spook less often/duck down more often, as well as adjust the volume of their wing flaps. Thanks.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

gas56 wrote:I must be playing a different game when hunting on Hemm because yesterday I saw so many animals while Lynx hunting.
Like I said before:
HooCairs wrote:You know what I think sometimes. They follow these posts and make spawn adjustments on the server, and what ever we claim on the forum is going to be wrong the next minute. Since they have moved the spawning to ber server-based, I wonder about myself still arguing about things on the forum as we can never be sure again about anything.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

HooCairs wrote:
gas56 wrote:I must be playing a different game when hunting on Hemm because yesterday I saw so many animals while Lynx hunting.
Like I said before:
HooCairs wrote:You know what I think sometimes. They follow these posts and make spawn adjustments on the server, and what ever we claim on the forum is going to be wrong the next minute. Since they have moved the spawning to ber server-based, I wonder about myself still arguing about things on the forum as we can never be sure again about anything.
If I'm reading you right, are you suspecting there's maybe some kind of RNG thing that selects specific spawn numbers on top of the typical RNG gods selecting rates/locations/pathing and species mix? And since we are having this discussion someone is following along and flipping some switches? Call me naive (somewhat a weakness I'll admit) but I'm going to need a lot of ketchup to get that burger down my friend :lol:

Here's my habits for Hemmeldal - the large circle is where I will spend 99% of my time. I've had good luck in the small circle but it seems like it's not what it used to be. I prefer to spawn at the north lodge and head NW. I put general tracks I take when spawning at tents. For bears, they travel along the north border. Once you have rendered them (whether you see them or not) they start moving counter clockwise. They have an area they basically walk in a circle until you've came in range. If you spook one, he will run away and stand stationary in nervous state for 15 minutes. After that he tries to return to his programmed roaming pattern unless you spook him again and say run after him. It seems once they are too far away they just go on a hike. I have followed a bear walking halfway around the map bordering the boundary. Also had some hell bent on returning to where they were when I found them. Bottom line, this is what I see happen and some of it may be my imagination but, I know what I see but you never really know what something it going to do, just what is likely, I think it has a lot to do with how close you are to them. And that's just the bears. Roe seem to travel everywhere but Hemm isn't a priority reserve to me for them. Moose are everywhere on the map and we all know the reindeer are a subject all their own.
My farthest east tent is in the bottom of that large flat area and I've bagged everything on the map there but it is quirky. It seems animals are either there or not at all, it's a hot and cold spot. Maybe 3/4 out of 10 times I go there is productive. I can just about always grab a couple fox there. Even if I don't hear any calls, I call anyway and be patient. Not all animals are going to make calls (except moose/roe) if they are in the area. For reindeer, travel back and forth across the top of the map near the border I guarantee you will get them. There's also a couple spots where reindeer seem to always be that is "out of the reserve" but you can still call them and they will enter the map. If you come in render they will start coming in sometimes but other times not. I think if there's room for them they enter on their own, if not they will just stay out of range unless you call them but I'll leave that a mystery, I imagine plenty of others already know about this anyway. Again, nothing is a guarantee, but some "likely" things have higher percentages and this would be one of the almost always that seems to be an exception.

So that's what happens for me, and I can't complain much, still my favorite place for browns and reindeer of course. I'll add, my first 200 moose was here on a hunt with BnB and where I got him isn't in my circles or even that close. I have since went to that area many times and am yet to ever see a moose in the area. It seems the east side is empty to me but bottom line is, when I find an area that produces I tend to work it until I'm familiar with what the "most likely" to score spots are.
I'll admit, from when I first started, there's only 1 tent that is in the original place, everything has been moved and I've even taken tents and stand down because for what I do there doesn't justify more equipment than what's there.

"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Radamus wrote: Image
Damn Len, no wonder you hate ptarmigans so much.....
Your far northwest tent is in Ptarmigan City....................... :lol:

Return to “General Chat”