Barren Hemmeldal

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Barren Hemmeldal

Post by HooCairs »

I have noticed before that there is little happening these days in Hemmeldal. Today I tried the new lynx and did the following tour.

Started at northern lodge and fast traveled to a tent/tower. I have placed that tower there already as this is a bit of an open area, hoping to see lynx.

After about 10-15 minutes, all I had was a moose bull calling. Started to run the shown path and actively ran towards every single track I found to identity it. Picked up a tent at the lodge and continued doing the same.

At the end of the run, I have seen a grand total of 20 animal tracks.

The hunt started at 10:00. The arrow is where I found the first lynx track at 11:34. That is 94 in-game minutes / 47 real minutes and about 6.5km.

While it might be some special fun finding the elusive lynx, I would at least like to be able to hunt something else in between, not so elusive. There used to be a lot more going on in Hemmeldal. One of the additions (Reindeer, Ptarmigan) killed it though. Like said, I have seen this before where I walked for 10 minutes and only ever had one call and no tracks, but now I have some real numbers to show the problem I have with Hemmeldal.

Who is first to call "bad spawn" or "tough luck"? :?

But seriously, is your Hemmeldal better?
Last edited by HooCairs on September 12th, 2018, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: Barren Hemmeldal

Post by SoftShoe »

Yeah thats rough! I would guess you had a bad spawn because I have had hunts similar to that on several maps.

I'm at work so not able to truly "hunt" the Lynx but I did a quick run through to try & stumble on one. While I didnt stumble onto one I did cut several tracks in the central part of the map (just east of the twin lakes) & saw the usual assortment of animals.

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

HooCairs wrote:Who is first to call "bad spawn" or "tough luck"? :?
SoftShoe wrote:I would guess you had a bad spawn
:lol:
Spoiler:
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Hemmeldal has been that way for some time. I can't say exactly when it started but I would guess when Ptarmigan were introduced.
Hoo just remember that new players don't know how Hemmeldal or the other reserves used to be.
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Yeah that is true though. Maybe some of the old ones can say if they remember it being better.
Spoiler:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

I will say this Hoo, pretty much all reserves from my experiences , since that famous render distance change , look pretty empty .
Lots of my hunts are exactly like you describe .

So yes ! Hemmeldal used to be way better .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Hemmeldal has never been the reserve with lots of action for me, but I agree that recently it seems to have calmed down even more. I don't know how recently though and I'm not sure whether it's due to the flying rats or something else. I also agree with Serge that ERR does seem to have changed the balance quite a bit, even though I suspect it's more noticeable with some hunting styles than with others.
Image Image Image
Beldin
Scout

Post by Beldin »

Well, I just had a short session at Hemmeldal, with my primary goal being to find a Lynx. Lots of calls from all sorts of animals while moving around or sitting in a stand, so the reserve definitely isn't empty. Finally, I found a Lynx track and immediately after that heard a call. Treestand and e-caller quickly out, and after a total of 1h 45min of hunting, I bagged my first ever Eurasian Lynx.

Took me enough time to say that I will probably consider combining bear baiting and lynx calling together in some way. That just might keep it interesting, as sitting in a stand waiting for an animal that may never appear can get very boring.
HooCairs wrote:Yeah that is true though. Maybe some of the old ones can say if they remember it being better.
To this, I might say that I definitely remember it being better. It was indeed better up to the moment when ptarmigans being introduced... Though that is only because I really, really hate those birds, and honestly wish there was a launcher option that I could set to disable all birds from the whole game. I just don't like that part of the game at all, even though it kinda adds realism to have some winged creatures around.
Spoiler:
Terzi1985
Scout

Post by Terzi1985 »

Even before the ptarmigans I noticed a real drop in amount of action, especially while hunting the roe deers. So much so that I took a most of my permanent stands and blinds away from the map and said goodbyes to good old hot spots of roe deer hunts. I had taken many hundreds of roes on those areas, guaranteed to almost always provide plenty of bowhunting action but at some point something changed and all of those places turned out to be empty hunt after hunt. I had one tent where I usually got the first roe call within one minute of starting the hunt like 8/10 times when starting a new game, now you can wander around half an hour without hearing anything or seeing a single track, start a new hunt and it's just as quiet hunt after another, it's not just a bad spawn. Yet devs always insist that nothing has changed. :(

Then came the ptarmigans and it seemed to be the finishing blow to kill the Hemmeldal. Not to meantion the noise pollution of the ptarmigans flying around the reserve like the Huey helicopter formations in Vietnam... :?

One thing I've wondered sometimes, when devs introduce ptarmigans, to Hemmeldal, to VDB and TGT, or let's say any birds to any reserve, they say that the number of spawning animal has not been reduced, BUT does that mean that the all the new birds spawning are taken off from the number other species spawning? That would explain a lot why Hemmeldal seems so empty and lifeless these days. If it is so, it is a huge shame, Hemmeldal used to be my favourite reserve back in the days when there was lots of animals and action but I think the harvest numbers of mammals / four legged species on Hemmeldal have nosedived downwards from what they used to be, and it's not just a single bad spawn. It's the new norm.
Dilaj
Tracker

Post by Dilaj »

Hemmeldal was already abandoned, but now with the lynx pff. I need to play like 15-30 min for the first track.

Return to “General Chat”