A Vehicle for theHunter?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: A Vehicle for theHunter?

Post by SoftShoe »

Tanngnjostr wrote: For me it's just a logical consequence of game balance losing its meaning to both the devs and a majority of the community in the past year or so. Everything has to be easy and there's no real sense of achievement any more. That's just my personal perception and opinion and a bit off-topic...
This is exactly right however I would say its part of the player base expectation. Allot of people seem to have an aversion to the status quo. They want more without a clear idea of what "more" actually is. Moreover as games age the devs try to one up previous efforts to create pizzaz for lack of a better word. They feel the need add more regardless if its truly good for the game or not. I have seen other games do exactly the same thing.

While I really dont want motorized power in Classic either I do not know that I would go so far as to say its an harbinger of doom. Without doubt a percentage of the player base will use them in a manner inconsistent with the spirit of the hunt. I really dont see it skewing leaderboards but it will have an impact on comps. I dont do the EW comps but I would be curious to see if we could effectively keep them out of UHC comps, if not THAT would be a problem!

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

HooCairs wrote:If it is a ATV, car or bike, how about make it fast on roads and really, really slow anywhere else. The CotW's ATV is not too bad, and somehow they fixed the initial herding that could be done. I have rarely seen any running animals in my last outings.

Some Classic reserves seem completely unsuitable though at all for any vehicle, some others might work.
- Val-des-Bois is a big river, hard to cross even on foot, and then hills and high mountains.
- You would never take a car into a Piccabeen Bay kind of place.
- Rougarou Bayou has practically only swamps.
- Hemmeldal, Settler Creeks, Logger's Point, Redfeather Falls and Timbergold Trails all have rough terrain off the roads.
- Ok(ish) could be Whitehart Island, Hirschfelden, Bushrangers Run, Whiterime Ridge.
If EW could figure out a way to prevent herding/driving the animals with the vehicles that would go a long way preventing problems with their use.

Another idea to reduce the usage/abuse of vehicles is make it so there is a charge to use them (I can hear the cries of derision already). Have it so they use fuel instead of the perpetually full tank of CoTW make it so the fuel depletes like feed from a feeder. You can buy fuel with em$/gm$. It would ostensibly limit their use & help monetize it for EW.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Restrictions on Motorized Vehicles will allow you to drive the vehicle in a safe and normal manner.

1. Not allowed to shoot while on a transport: Penalty = 1 weeks time non-drivable (all players involved on transport).
2. Not allowed to shoot within 100 meters of any transport, while any transport is driving by or parked: Penalty = 3 days non-drivable by offending player(s).
3. Chasing Animals on a transport to drive them to an area/wrecking transport into an animal or another player: Penalty = 1 day non-drivable + unable to harvest that animal (+ med-kit for injured player(s).
4. Wrecking a Transport unsafely falling down a cliff: penalty = non-drivable transport until repair-kit is used + med-kit.
5. Running full throttle on a transport within 300 meters of going past another hunter(s) while another hunter is in the field 100 meters away from their transport: Penalty = non-drivable transport
for 1 hour game time.
6. MP games can allow or disallow the use of transports.
Ha ha ha.....Doc will be watching you!
now check these photos out with the possible transports.......... animals sold separately!
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

gas56 wrote:Restrictions on Motorized Vehicles will allow you to drive the vehicle in a safe and normal manner.

1. Not allowed to shoot while on a transport: Penalty = 1 weeks time non-drivable (all players involved on transport).
2. Not allowed to shoot within 100 meters of any transport, while any transport is driving by or parked: Penalty = 3 days non-drivable by offending player(s).
3. Chasing Animals on a transport to drive them to an area/wrecking transport into an animal or another player: Penalty = 1 day non-drivable + unable to harvest that animal (+ med-kit for injured player(s).
4. Wrecking a Transport unsafely falling down a cliff: penalty = non-drivable transport until repair-kit is used + med-kit.
5. Running full throttle on a transport within 300 meters of going past another hunter(s) while another hunter is in the field 100 meters away from their transport: Penalty = non-drivable transport
for 1 hour game time.
Are you being facetious? I can't imagine them developing any of the penalties you suggest. However...

1. Not allowed to shoot while on a transport: Just make it impossible to shoot from the transport.
2. Not allowed to shoot within 100 meters of any transport: Also could be like shooting at out-of-bounds animal. But this seems impractical. If someone is herding, they would probably park more than 100m from the herded animals as to no longer spook them.
3. Chasing Animals on a transport to drive them to an area: How do you tell the difference between this & normal driving & spooking animals?
3b. wrecking transport into an animal or another player: Interesting. I suppose this could just render the transport inoperable for the rest of the hunt?
4. Same. Inoperable
5. Also impractical
6. MP games can allow or disallow the use of transports.: If the intention of the transports is for moving equipment/setup/baiting, then it would make sense to only allow the host to deploy one.

Of course we're all speculating. I think the biggest concern is the transport giving a significant advantage to hunting / harvesting animals. i.e. herding, road hunting, etc...
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I like that kind of concept art Gas! :D

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Tod1d wrote:
gas56 wrote:Restrictions on Motorized Vehicles will allow you to drive the vehicle in a safe and normal manner.

for 1 hour game time.
Are you being facetious? I can't imagine them developing any of the penalties you suggest. However...
Of course we're all speculating. I think the biggest concern is the transport giving a significant advantage to hunting / harvesting animals. i.e. herding, road hunting, etc...
Am I being facetious? ..... me of all people? Don't you think I would take this topic seriously?
Didn't you see the Water buffalo on top of the transport?
now you can laugh...................... :lol:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

HooCairs wrote:I like that kind of concept art Gas! :D

Now I like that!................ ;)
Dilaj
Tracker

Post by Dilaj »

for 1 hour game time.
now check these photos out with the possible transports.......... animals sold separately!
Your pictures are awsome. I can imagine this atv in the game :D
ehr_Icaar
Scout

Post by ehr_Icaar »

I want a canoe.
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

I wish they would add an option for server host to allow or not allow use of vehicles on their server when making the game. Vehicles bring so much opportunity to troll and ruin other players hunt. When I host a game I want to restrict the use of loud guns and vehicles so everyone can hunt in peace and not have their animals spooked by some easily bored "hunter". -Allow vehicles - yes - no - would be better than restricting the game to a ridiciosly high hunterscore limit.

While on the subject I think they should also add more info about the server you are attempting to join, namely the current time on the server and in case of feeders, if they are active or not. Love joining a game at 5 Am and sneaking to a feeder only to find out it's full but won't be active in another 3 hours. These are the two things I want to know as a player before loading into a multiplayer game.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."

Return to “General Chat”