Feeling Very Disappointed..[No Africa for tHC]

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
MudBug
Outfitter

Re: Feeling Very Disappointed..

Post by MudBug »

Mills wrote:I think it might be a little too soon to completely write off an African themed map for Classic. I do not favour one game more than the other. I've always thought that an African map would even be better in COTW due to the advanced graphics capabilities. The AI is different in COTW than Classic, but in my opinion better in COTW in certain aspects. The herding, advanced time of day behavioural AI are only a couple of examples. I am a hunter in real life as well; mostly waterfowl/upland birds/and whitetails. I've downed at least 15-20 deer in my life. From my experience when shooting a whitetail in a herd the rest of them do not all just frantically bolt in every which direction like they do in Classic. Hell, I've had some herds just stand there and look at me after taking one of em down. I live in the prairies in one of the flattest areas of land in all of Canada. Pure farmland where longshots are a must because there' very little cover to do a stalk. Most of the time the herd will run at first in a coordinated direction and then trot together, sometimes stopping after a hundred metres to take another look back and then keep moving to the next bluff. I've seen this kind of behaviour in COTW so I applaud the devs for bringing this realistic behaviour to the game. I personally can't wait for the map to come to COTW. I need to get back into theHunter (COTW and Classic) again... and this is going to be the reserve to get me back. If we are getting Africa for COTW I think it's only a matter of time for Classic. That's my nickel (5 cents). <We don't value pennies in Canada anymore ;)

Take it easy,
Mills.
I respect and understand what you are saying about the deer that you've hunted in real life and how they reacted. That's precisely how they react in the setting you describe, flat terrain with long shots. They don't run out of sight because they don't know where the shot comes from and diffusion of the sound of the rifle going off with the shot. However, they do run. I've had the same reaction from deer while hunting in South Texas for 10 years. Shots were 250 - 1000 yards. In COTW they don't.

I'm not sure how you can say COTW A.I. is better. You can sit in one spot and shoot a herd of European buffalo one at a time from 75 yards and not one of them takes a step to flee as you gun them down individually. Same thing with Elk or Red Deer at slightly longer distances. How is that A.I. better?

I hope you and others are correct that Africa will come to Classic. I've never been a fan of COTW. IMO, the only thing it has going for it is a better graphics engine.
Mills
Outfitter

Re: Feeling Very Disappointed..[No Africa for tHC]

Post by Mills »

It's pretty plain and simple that the AI in Classic is very dated compared to the more complex patterns and behaviour in COTW. I mean in reality I have not hunted bison. From what I've learned though they are very easy prey showing little fear of humans and dumb as bricks. I get we're talking "European" bison here but I cant imagine their behaviour being too different compared to their North American counterparts. The AI for most of the species is walk in straight line stop to graze occasionally... rinse, repeat. You can call them in as if they are hooked on a line. COTW has feeding/drinking/time of day patterns. When I call in an animal they react to the call in a more realistic way by trying to get downwind sometimes or coming through cover so as not to leave them exposed to ambush. These behaviours are very clearly absent from Classic apart from the yotes/foxes. I am a fan of both games and my main point was that it's a little early for everyone to start chastising the dev team for not announcing Africa for Classic. We don't know what new reserve they have in the works yet.
Mills.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Mills wrote: I mean in reality I have not hunted bison. From what I've learned though they are very easy prey showing little fear of humans and dumb as bricks. I get we're talking "European" bison here but I cant imagine their behaviour being too different compared to their North American counterparts.
Actually true wild bison are extremely difficult to hunt. They are very sharp with great eyes, ears, and nose. I've watched some hunts for them where they seemed to me equally as warm as a whitetail. Of course if you go on YouTube you find a lot of videos of people shooting semi tame bison on ranches. I think that's where the idea that bison are easy to hunt comes from.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Threwlys
Tracker

Post by Threwlys »

An african reserve in The Hunter Classic would be great, because of the immense expectations about it and because the devs are incredible talented in applying artificial inteligence and in the shape and colors of the animals.
But i would be happy too if i see in a near future an American Prairie Reserve, plenty with very wild bisons (yes, hunting the hunters), great deers, wolves, and other exciting animals (just take a look at this great and inspirational image in the top of this website; of course, the URL is here just for illustration):

https://www.americanprairie.org/hunting
Muglug
Scout

Post by Muglug »

I find it strange that they came out with a new weapon that can be used on all animals, thats got to mean no income on a lot of weapons!.

Now they put Africa Reserve in CotW, when players have been asking for a long time for the reserve to be put into the theHunter.

Could theHunter be closing soon?, and if so to contine playing players will have to go over to CotW.

Maybe wrong......will wait and see.
Ghosts don't die they just fade away, like players do every day.
007aln
Spotter

Post by 007aln »

Muglug wrote:I find it strange that they came out with a new weapon that can be used on all animals, thats got to mean no income on a lot of weapons!.

Now they put Africa Reserve in CotW, when players have been asking for a long time for the reserve to be put into the theHunter.

Could theHunter be closing soon?, and if so to contine playing players will have to go over to CotW.

Maybe wrong......will wait and see.
Actually just checked that gun out, this is what is written for the 9.3 ammo:

"9.3x74R Ammunition
Capacity cost 0.65
Contains: 10 cartridges
Featuring a slick bottleneck design and being quite popular when it comes to African hunting, this round is ideal for bringing down medium to large game. Ships in boxes of 10."

How long has that description been around? It would be a bit a of a tease to mention African hunting without giving us an African reserve as well.

Personally I think we'll get it. I'm happy enough with blue wildebeest and lesser kudu and springbok (even though those species do not occur together in nature??), but as I said in another thread I do hope we get zebra, greater kudu, and lion (or failing that, leopard). Elephant, rhino and giraffe etc aren't big pulls for me, but could be pretty cool if the reserve has a lot of thick brush so you can't see them till you're quite close to them.

I think a landscape with lots of brush and topography is a good thing regardless of species but would be vital for really big game.

As far as worrying about the politics of what species are offered, I think that is bizarre. This is a game where you can run and gun unlimited Rocky Mountain grizzly sows, which is a political and conservation abomination. Alberta put an indefinite moratorium on grizzlies for conservation purposes which I think is unlikely to be lifted for political reasons, BC just banned the hunt province wide for purely political reasons, and in the lower 48 Montana has declined to hold a hunt and Wyoming and Idaho are opening small hunts to much gnashing of teeth. No one cares about killing them in this game because it's a game. We can (thankfully!!!) hunt polar bears now and does the public care? I don't think so. There are bigger fish for anti-hunters to fry than video games, like people actually shooting these animals IRL.

Most of the flashy African species while threatened, aren't so threatened as to be Endangered - lions are IUCN Vulnerable, white rhino are Near Threatened, African elephants are Vulnerable (though maybe that will change with a new assessment), giraffe are Vulnerable. That's the reality of under-resourced conservation in a lot of Africa; however in southern Africa (where probably most hunting goes on), those species are doing quite well. And for comparison, lesser kudu are Near Threatened and polar bears are Vulnerable.

Also wrt an American prairie ecosystem, personally I would prefer an Arizona map. You could have cougar, pronghorn, desert bighorn, plains bison, coyote, bobcat, mule deer, Coues whitetail deer, elk... and if you wanted to really liven things up, jaguar, but that runs into political issues again...
Sheldon
Spotter

Africa map

Post by Sheldon »

Hello,

I find it an insult by the developers, the now wildly for "call of the wild" coming one Africa map! :evil:
In "thehunter Classic" an Africa map was already desired, there was not even cotw!

And they always rejected it and now they do it for "cotw", unbelievable … :roll:
why are you so deceiving us?

Instead, we get a reskin of the already bad shape Lynx (the eyes oh my god). That is ridiculous!

I can not comprehend that!

The developers owe a lot of explanations to us players here!!!
1Al
Hunter

Re: Africa map

Post by 1Al »

Sheldon wrote:Hello,

I find it an insult by the developers, the now wildly for "call of the wild" coming one Africa map! :evil:
In "thehunter Classic" an Africa map was already desired, there was not even cotw!

And they always rejected it and now they do it for "cotw", unbelievable … :roll:
why are you so deceiving us?

Instead, we get a reskin of the already bad shape Lynx (the eyes oh my god). That is ridiculous!

I can not comprehend that!
The developers owe a lot of explanations to us players here!!!
It's a year since I can no longer comprehend what are they up to with theHunter Classic! But they dont explain nothing concrete.
I think that after so many years of tHC, it' time to have an African map. It's a big miss in this game. Who cares about new sheeps or lynx.
pastuh
Scout

Post by pastuh »

Very sad so tragic result..
Watched some Twitch streamers, and all players almost sleeping!

To end this issue need something better. For now i will skip this DLC.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

I would not be surprised to see Africa as tHC's new reserve this year. If there were ever a time to be hopeful I would say this is certainly it!

Return to “General Chat”