theHunter:Classic and its future

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Re: theHunter:Classic and its future

Post by ronMctube »

the game wont ever go ftp unless its given away to people after its closed its doors for people to run on their own servers.

the business model been set. people spent their money. so that wont, cant really change.

personally think if we being honest the games real hold back has been a couple of things.the cost of playing it. marketing it wrong .ftp on steam for eg.

the innitial plan for the game was totally different to what we have now. we were wardens . we could trial items for a month game totally different approach.the thing is you can see how that ideal world worked out for the game.it went bankrupt !

so unless you can bring in the money with a ideal idea then you have to cave to business.over the perfect game scenario.to keep it going.so while you can say the game can be expensive without the money coming in the game wouldnt of survived !

so the right decision was made at the right time financially to secure the future of our game.the way it was done wasnt remarkable at the time early on i suggested what may happen even have it screenshotted somewhere. i said more content needs to be made more regular quicker. just not like tf2 and making hats for the sake of money ! what happened next pim joined and followed the battlefield heroes strategy of content.the game made money finally and secured what we play now.without that decision game probably wouldnt of lasted.although some things i would of liked to see done differently.

the player numbers are very low we are ten years old now so its kinda to be expected. stream remarketing the name has been tried but you cant change that because the impression was made about ftp was false.it is a expensive game to keep playing in comparision to other games.

the next step if there is one would ideally be classic 2.0 but how would this work ?

Call of the wild is on APEX. so putting classic 2.0 on APEX would kinda make classic a competitor to its own brand.makes no sense to do so.ideally you want two different ip brands to cover as much hunting players.so you would need a newer engine or one already made.for eg unreal 4 but then you have costs of using someone elses engine.royalities so i cant see that happening in a big project.as avalanche want everything made by themselves.

so i think unless its already been done that classic wont happen.that just call of the wild will just move forward and take over.slowly progressing.

you cant really rejuventate this game now.there isnt enough players.that is why its declined over the last year gradually.stem the flow yes but slowly it isnt staying afloat.

i hope im wrong and it doesnt just go away. its been a huge part of my life.been here since the start and hope that something behind the scenes has been in the works for years to continue on into a new generation.fingers crossed.this happens though i cant see it happening.only call of the wilds progression.
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

I'm afraid too that one day in the next 2-5 years this game will stop developing because of the playerbase...
I love the game and will cry if the dev close the servers.

So EW should really do something about it, like other engine or other busniss model.
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

DarkHunterXX wrote:I'm afraid too that one day in the next 2-5 years this game will stop developing because of the playerbase...
I love the game and will cry if the dev close the servers.

So EW should really do something about it, like other engine or other busniss model.
It was I said before.
They have let players choosing their updates like for example "summer fiesta" some people likes others no. The choice must be to the player to install and buy what he thinks is best for him. Pushing players in only one way kill the game. The game must be a based program that every one can develop (by paying updates) in his way. Otherwise the game go to the end :(
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

Yes, Change the Steam thing instantly. Make a new attractive bundle on steam for max a tenner, if they like it they will come back and spend more packs. refine the offers on steam anyway as it clearly doesnt work with those DLC's

If there is ever a Classic 2.0 it will mean rebuying all the guns we owned before in the new engine. And I will not do that. EW on the other hand won't give out all the existing guns for free. If there is ever a next step its this game, rebuild from the core to get all the patchy/buggy stuff out of the way and getting it more streamlined where possible. Add some HD models where possible and head a steady course with current ways.

New user experiences are needed. Give the new players a real tutorial rather than what we have now. Make calibre and animals more obvious (.243 duckhunting f2players anyone) fire up their INTEREST them in the game.

Or you end up making it not server depending (which isnt possible, but hey NOT-Possible and EW, right!) and selling it normally on Steam with a sale for a change. Changing membership packages every 10 months as well as a new incentive. Yes this is an expensive game, I spend way more on this than 10 years of mmos. But its a choice. If the new players, like myself keep coming, spending 20 to 50 quid a month per head, its a good thing. Now just to tap in a new group of players.
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

I really appreciate it for the polite and constructive comments.

But I think some of you didn't take my point about the "transaction" part. I'm not saying this game should be completely free. I don't see any free games that are good enough. Completely free game = Unable to develop
So, I'm saying EW should attract more players to the game. And IMHO, this can't be done right now.
I've worked for a company a few years ago and this was their motto: "Lower profit(cheap) = More customer"

We all know this game is not cheap. It's very expensive in between all other free to play games. But IMO, this is not a very good thing for a long time business.

I didn't want to say any suggestion but let me say some of them. And I thing these few things can bring more players and make them harder to leave the game.

1- Daily login/prize: Give players 1em$ or 50gm$ per day by loging in to the game or start a hunt. It can start by 10gm$ from day 1 to 10em$ in the 30th day!
2- Higher rewards for competitions: IMO, that would be better to see original competitions has rewards like "The big five" comp.
3- Gifts to ALL players in events: I'm not saying give 100em$ to all players. Give 10em$ or even 500gm$ to all players in events is not a bad thing, IMO. And EW will lose nothing with that amount of em$ or gm$, but instead it will make players happy and happy players will spend more money on a generous game.
Season Stats
Spoiler:
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

rhapsodaisical wrote:
If there is ever a Classic 2.0 it will mean rebuying all the guns we owned before in the new engine. And I will not do that.
This is the reason we will not see theHunter classic 2. If thy come out with a new game and I have to start over I will as I feel the current one owes me nothing
Spoiler:
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

One of the downfalls of a FTP Steam game is that it allows literally everybody to post up a review. And it's no surprise that people who are unwilling to spend money post up negative reviews, and so that's how they'll trend. From a business perspective, are those the customers you want anyway? If the game cost $30 up front, those customers would never have tried the game in the first place...they're looking for a free ride. Money makes the monkey dance.

The numbers at first glance appear troubling this year. My assumption would be that was due to some pretty major bugs that happened during that time frame. The analyst in me would want to see that compared in a YoY chart alongside a timeline of releases (for both Classic & COTW) & major bugs. Another thing to keep in mind is that Classic is not a Steam-only game, and has a major international following. What I've noticed on these Forums over the years is that many people do not like Steam at all and refuse to use it, even when not using it might cause a problem with an update. Steam numbers will never be representative of the whole in this game particularly.

The goal should always be:
1.) Attract new players to try theHunter Classic as Guests
2.) Increase the percentage of Guests that become Members
3.) Increase the amount that Members spend on em$
4.) Increase the number of Members retained

Everything should drive those goals. I think what can sometimes happen is the focus on working on #3 sometimes causes bugs that aren't addressed in a timely manner, decreasing the success of #2. If #2 declines enough, then any future success in #3 makes you less revenue. I'm sure EW has better numbers on these things than what we can see, and it's probably a much more delicate balance than we realize.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

IMO while this game is running afloat we should just enjoy it for what is here now.
We have no information on what EW is planning or not planning and If another new Classic like game will come out I would probably spend money on it
once I checked it out, but knowing what EW has done with The Hunter Classic, It would well be worth the time to try out a new hunting game if
it was as anything good as this game was in its tenure and right there would make the difference in knowing what they are capable of producing if they went that route.
Players say well "they're not going to put more money into a new game" because they already put money into an old game by EW.
Computer hunting games started around 1996 and there were a lot made throughout then and 2008, and a few that stuck it out up to 2018 these days.
Now let's start figuring how much an individual computer player would pay for all the game(s) in an individual year,...
and for example as myself I didn't just play hunting games, I played racing games, War games, Sim games, Dinosaur games, Wrestling games, and
a lot were on consoles also within this time frame.
To be truthful I spent a lot on games,.. maybe not what some players have spent on the Hunter Classic.......... :lol:
At least not just on one game, but on multiple games throughout each year.
Spending $150 U.S. dollars or more wasn't uncommon for me to buy a few different games,.. plus the costs of consoles and computers as each updating year progressed with technology.
So I really like these niche games as they are right up to my liking and likewise I am very fond of hunting, or any outdoor activity game.
So would I be willing to support another endeavor from EW if they decided to make a Hunter Classic 2 game and dropped the Hunter Classic when the time
happens? Because it will happen when the Hunter Classic won't outlive its viability.
I just hope that this is their plan for the future of their business, because I would say "Hell Yes" to support a new business model like theHunter classic was made.
Commanche
Spotter

Post by Commanche »

Do I spend as much as I want to and can spend on the game based on recent observations? The answer is simple. No. Game needs new players with "new money" to survive in the long run. How they're going to achieve that, only EW knows. We can only but wonder. In the mean time, as long as the launcher keeps on launching, I'll keep on hunting and throw a few bob their way every now and then.
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

I personally LOVE this game. (period)

I found and wanted to play CotW BUT my machine will NOT run it.
THEN I found Classic. and woah! it was FTP!
I am a broke mo-fo to be sure, but I have done without a pizza here and there to get a Membership and even bought a few new weapons, gear, and upgrades. EVEN got myself a dog!

Honestly, I do NOT see this as an expensive game. NOTHING compared to WoW, do not get me started on WoW...

In this game, buying new stuff is OPTIONAL. Pay to win? ONLY if you are SOOOooo into competition that you must absolutely be number one.
IF you just wanna play and have a great time - you CAN do it with the FTP version. Example: the .243 WILL drop a Buffalo. as will a well placed 12 gauge slug outta the single shot 12 that is given.

I am appreciative to the Devs for their continued support of this game.

And I will continue to show my appreciation by spending a little money here and there. For instance... After getting 70K GM's via the missions - I am about to pay the $9.00 US to get my missions reset. Back to killing whitetails! I am psyched. ALSO I plan on buying a few bows (now that they are on sale).

Thanks to the Devs - I am playing the best computer game ever made (so far) IMHO.
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

Return to “General Chat”