Zombie Moose

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Minkus32

Zombie Moose

Post by Minkus32 »

Not really zombie in the end, but had me wondering for a while.

The other day I was hunting in Redfeather Falls in the swamp area where I have a tower setup. Along comes this bull moose and gets within 20 years of me so I put an arrow right in the uppder shoulder on the left side with my pulser and doesn't the damn thing run off. I'm like wth..how did you not go down. So I give him a few minutes and i watch him run away and then start to follow. I fully expent him to hit the dirt anytime as it says lung/heart shot I walk about 15 minutes and finally catch up with him and this time I see him walking acroos my line of sight on the right side facing me. So, up I go and I give it to him again...WTH...he ran off again.

So, here I am chasing this freaking moose who now has been shot twice, both times in the shoulder and he just won't go down. I finally find the damn thing again and this time I pull out the .300...if he walks away this time, I'm outta there...last place i want to be is next to a ***** off Zombie moose who's been shot 3 times :)

Line him up and blam..down he goes...whew...not so tough now are ya bullwinkle...
Walk up and claim him and it shows me 2 shots...weird...doesn't look like the first shot shows as registered from what I can tell from distances. Oh well, i got him anyhow.
Walk back to my tower and see tracks near it...thats odd, its the same moose I just claimed, but I think to myself, don't those tracks disaappear after you claim them? Oh well, lets follow them again and see what happens....walk about 20 minutes and there's a moose on the ground with an error in his left side...

LOL, apparently the second moose I came across wasn't the one I shot the first time after all...managed to get 2 bull in the same area.

Definetly had me scratching my head for a few minutes wondering how the hell that moose took 2 arrows (one on each side) to the heart and lungs and kept going.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Zombie Moose

Post by VonStratos »

Sometimes you get the lung/heart track, but the animal doesn't die near and after a time tracking the clues change to "body shot" its a known "bug" i mean some says is a bug and some that is a intended part of the game mechanic that has not been properly explained, but whatever, when it happens is a real pia, i you only harvested one moose but shoot 2 then you will get a pm from Doc, by the way i do the same when a moose or a large animal don't go down gently with an arrow and make me track him for a while, next time i see it i blow him with my biggest rifle. xD

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Minkus32

Post by Minkus32 »

no, in the end I did get 2 moose, but I didn't realize it was 2 seperate moose I was hunting until after I harvested what I "Thought" was the same moose I shot first. Then I realized the initial tracks /blood I followed were still on the ground and realized there must have been another moose out there I shot the first time
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Great story

I have done this as well! :lol:

The moose can sometimes run up to 9ish seconds after you double lung them.
Kinarr
Tracker

Post by Kinarr »

They deliberately run back over their approach tracks, just to throw you off.
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Kinarr wrote:They deliberately run back over their approach tracks, just to throw you off.
Not really. An animal in this game will nearly always run directly away from the hunter, so if he is coming straight at you he is sure gonna run back over his own tracks when he flees.
If you shoot him broadside he will again run directly away from you, at 90 degrees from his roaming tracks, and never cross them.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Minkus32 wrote:Not really zombie in the end, but had me wondering for a while.

"Along comes this bull moose and gets within 20 years of me"
I think I know why that moose just ran off without dying, it still had 19 years left to go................... :lol:

Return to “General Chat”