Doubts about the best bows. Which one to use in big game?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Threwlys
Tracker

Doubts about the best bows. Which one to use in big game?

Post by Threwlys »

I have in my inventory (with all the scopes):

.Compound Bow "Snakebite";
.Compound Bow "Parker Python";
.Compound Bow "Pulsar";
.Reverse Draw Crossbow.

Which one is the most deadly and silent at the same time to hunt big game (the competition is coming!)? Ore are they just about the same?

The more i watch videos and read reviews, the more confused i get. I don't even have time to play, just studying this matters of what gear to use.

Anyway, here, in this forum, i always find the right answers i'm looking for.

If there are others bows you think is very good or even better, that i should buy, feel free to suggest. I love bow hunting.

As always, many thanks in advance.
Threwlys
Tracker

Re: Doubts about the best bows. Which one to use in big game?

Post by Threwlys »

I just found this video from the great HooCairs (i'm trying to see all his videos) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_YBjnqEjg4

Very good!
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Ok similar to the shotguns there is no "best" bow(compound) the 3 are good and the 3 can do the same, but in different ways and have advantage and disadvantages:

1 Snakebite: most powerful, great for big animals, but its the most noisy and it have only one pin, so you need learn to aim or get near 20 meters, easy against a moose, not so much against a coyote. but if you can lure the animal at your ambush its a great bow.

2 PP: great against packs of animals, more silent but a bit weaker than snakebite(still can drop a bear or a moose with a good aimed shot) got by default a 3 pin sight, so is easier to aim at long distances, and you can attach another sight with range finder, its the bow of choice to take down flocks of turkeys or coyotes. whenever you stalk or lure to your ambush is good.

3 Pulsar:Great mix of the 2 above, less noisy and powerful than snakebite but more noisy and powerful than PP, can mount a great sight with 5 pins for precise shots, but the slow animation when taking the arrow of the quiver make it more suited for shots from tree-stand or other ambush style instead stalk and aim fast shots.

4 Reverse xbow: not much in the way of silent but you can drop water buffalo in the spot with that bazooka, drawback, almost no zoom in the scope.

So as you see it depend again in your preferences and hunting style, and what are you planning to hunt, if for big game, the reverse xbow could be an efficient choice, but again, every bow can drop the largest animals in game, just take practice to put the arrow in the lungs or heart. ;)

Again, youtube have vids on every weapon and many reviews, always watch before buy... but if you like bowhunting you may end buying the 3(like me) just to have one for every situation xD

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

All the bows will do the job but some do it much easier than others, my personal fav is the pulsar.

I went back and used the snakebite for a while and the power is insane on it but with that its loud and only has 1 pin however i find it a fun beefy bow to shoot.
Pulsar is quiet and has a lot of power, only downside is reload time but that doesn't seem to be an issue when stand hunting.
Parker is very quiet but its lacking power, i have a hard time dropping animals that are bigger then moose with it.

Edit:
I did not know u also had reverse draw on the list but i see it now. It is also an insane weapon up there with the pulsar on my list.
I have both maxed out already
Nathan22Outdoors
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

i made videos on all the bows. my goto bow is still the snakebite.silence side of it doesnt really make much difference anymore comared to how it used to be . when it did i used to recommend the parker for turkey hunting.with how things can randomly spook though since whenever that change was i just go for the simpliest bow with the most power.which is the snake bite.

i also have comparision video of all the natural bows in one video.recurve is the natural bow of choice for me.

many people will give different personal opinions . its mainly just preference.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

If the "arrow rule" is still true, that anything hit with any arrow is going to die with 100% certainty, it's just a matter of how long it takes before death.(i.e. better shots = quicker deaths regardless of species) Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or if there's a current bug with certain species not dying out.

Going by that "rule"(or game mechanic), and by what you're after(big game, specifically for that comp), and by what you currently have in your possession, I would use choose Snakebite. The power; Gives you some grace on mis-placed shots. The noise; You won't be trying to drop herds, you'll be trying for the best animal in the herd, so shot spooking isn't a major issue. Of course, if you want to quietly remove "nuisance" animals between you and your target, nothing prevents you from taking a stealthy bow along too. If you do choose the Snakebite, I highly recommend getting some range practice time in now.

If you were going to buy a new bow/xbow, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Heavy Recurve. The power; Like the Snakebite, it simply destroys, maybe even a little more than the Snakebite but that's my impression. The noise; Also an impression since I've not tested, but it seems fairly quiet to me and I would rate it on par with the Pulsar.(I agree with VonStratos' Pulsar review about the noise level) If you choose the Heavy Recurve I would again highly recommend range practice until you get it down. On a very personal note, I am still very much head-over-heels in love with this bow. :oops:

Good luck!
Threwlys
Tracker

Post by Threwlys »

VonStratos wrote:Ok similar to the shotguns there is no "best" bow(compound) the 3 are good and the 3 can do the same, but in different ways and have advantage and disadvantages:

1 Snakebite: most powerful, great for big animals, but its the most noisy and it have only one pin, so you need learn to aim or get near 20 meters, easy against a moose, not so much against a coyote. but if you can lure the animal at your ambush its a great bow.

2 PP: great against packs of animals, more silent but a bit weaker than snakebite(still can drop a bear or a moose with a good aimed shot) got by default a 3 pin sight, so is easier to aim at long distances, and you can attach another sight with range finder, its the bow of choice to take down flocks of turkeys or coyotes. whenever you stalk or lure to your ambush is good.

3 Pulsar:Great mix of the 2 above, less noisy and powerful than snakebite but more noisy and powerful than PP, can mount a great sight with 5 pins for precise shots, but the slow animation when taking the arrow of the quiver make it more suited for shots from tree-stand or other ambush style instead stalk and aim fast shots.

4 Reverse xbow: not much in the way of silent but you can drop water buffalo in the spot with that bazooka, drawback, almost no zoom in the scope.

So as you see it depend again in your preferences and hunting style, and what are you planning to hunt, if for big game, the reverse xbow could be an efficient choice, but again, every bow can drop the largest animals in game, just take practice to put the arrow in the lungs or heart. ;)

Again, youtube have vids on every weapon and many reviews, always watch before buy... but if you like bowhunting you may end buying the 3(like me) just to have one for every situation xD

Awesome! Excellent observations. Many Thanks, VonStratos.
Threwlys
Tracker

Post by Threwlys »

ronMctube wrote:i made videos on all the bows. my goto bow is still the snakebite.silence side of it doesnt really make much difference anymore comared to how it used to be . when it did i used to recommend the parker for turkey hunting.with how things can randomly spook though since whenever that change was i just go for the simpliest bow with the most power.which is the snake bite.

i also have comparision video of all the natural bows in one video.recurve is the natural bow of choice for me.

many people will give different personal opinions . its mainly just preference.
Great ronMctube! I am your fan! I saw this video yesterday before sleep. Very interesting. Thanks for the attention.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Maybe I'm a bit biased but I agree that the heavy recurve is almost better than the compounds. It's very powerful and easier to make fast shots when needed. Any of the traditional bows are better for making shots quickly IMO.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Threwlys wrote:I have in my inventory (with all the scopes):

.Compound Bow "Snakebite";
.Compound Bow "Parker Python";
.Compound Bow "Pulsar";
.Reverse Draw Crossbow.

Which one is the most deadly and silent at the same time to hunt big game (the competition is coming!)? Ore are they just about the same?

The more i watch videos and read reviews, the more confused i get. I don't even have time to play, just studying this matters of what gear to use.

Anyway, here, in this forum, i always find the right answers i'm looking for.

If there are others bows you think is very good or even better, that i should buy, feel free to suggest. I love bow hunting.

As always, many thanks in advance.
Are you writing a guide book or what on these subjects?............ :lol:

The Parker Python and Pulsar are more silent but still deadly if you hit where you're aiming for as the animal will die being hit with a bowshot.
Heart/lung bowshots put them down pretty fast as will a double lung, a spine shot or neck vertebrae, or brain shot or two organs hit.
All bows demand that you learn to hit vital areas to bring them down faster than long tracking of less vital bolt/arrow hits.

The difference of the bows is how fast and hard the penetration deepness is made and the spooking sound loudness of a released weapon. The silence of a weapon comes in handy when you have a herd coming by your tree stand and picking them off one by one while not spooking the further away ones that doesn't hear the release of the weapon or any other similar situation where you are not trying to spook the intended animal you are after. Unlike a bullet the broadhead slices its way through the flesh and body thus usually making an animal bleed out with whatever it comes into contact while penetrating within the animals body. In the game this means that the animal will die 99% of the time from a bowhit,.. and how long it takes to die with how much damage is cut into it from where it hits on the animal.
All the bows have a place for hunting situations and can be used with great results and is a preference of which you prefer as all the Arrow/Bolt does the inflicted damage from the weapon,..
some are stronger and some are more quieter, and the arrows hit kills from all of them.
Last edited by gas56 on July 21st, 2018, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”