I need help to understand the specific effectiveness of each one of this shotgun calibers: 10 GA, 12 GA 16 GA 20 GA.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
L3M182
Outfitter

Re: I need help to understand the specific effectiveness of each one of this shotgun calibers: 10 GA, 12 GA 16 GA 20 GA.

Post by L3M182 »

Mashuu wrote:I am not 100% sure. But if you MUST buy one, and do not mind not having an optic, get the 10 gauge. It supposedly reaches out a bit further to get those geese, ducks, and rabbits. If you want to have an optic, the 12 gauge pump as a closed red dot that can help. It also has a slug scope. But I feel that one is rather useless.

But, there is no way to actually test anything in game yet :/
I remember reading someplace All birdshot has a max range of 70m. However the 10 gauge does fire a bigger number of pellets so will in theory give you a better chance of hitting a bird with enough pellets to get the kill
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Re: I need help to understand the specific effectiveness of each one of this shotgun calibers: 10 GA, 12 GA 16 GA 20 GA.

Post by ronMctube »

i recently did a video comparision of the 12 gauge pump shotty versus the 10 gauge. id take the 12 gauge pump shotgun. its cheaper. can have short and long range scopes on. so you can have 6 shots. its ethical for the same species as the 10 gauge.has better accuracy.

the only species you cant kill which is the same with the 10 gauge is
Banteng
Bison
Water Buffalo

the red dot makes it really easy to pull of more accurate shots at closer distance.also the long range scope is also useful for targets past 30m.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

J_Birdman wrote:I would argue that if a shotgun scope is truly desired, no matter the animal, then the 2-6x32mm Slug Scope fits the bill no matter what you're going after.
Too cluttered and the higher magnification is detrimental for any kind of moving shots. It's only beneficial for aimed slug shots.

J_Birdman wrote: Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to be shooting at airborne birds with a closed sight, but to each their own. The slight gain in magnification just doesn't justify the severe lack of vision, for me at least.
That might vary a lot with your screen size and resolution. For me on 26" and WQXGA, it's plenty with the scope and more than necessary without.
The red dot and the otherwise completely uncluttered view makes picking up a target and placing the shot way easier and more instinctive.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

J_Birdman wrote:Threwlys, I agree with everything already said except one thing, the red dot shotgun scope.

This is the 2x Red Dot Shotgun Scope, or as I like to simply call it, The Failscope..

Compare to this red dot scope..

See the difference? The whole purpose of a red dot scope(aka open sight scope) is to allow for an open field of vision which makes picking up your targets by eye much faster and easier. Why EW created a closed red dot scope, and why it's never been fixed, is beyond me. If you want to save yourself a little em$ and a whole lot of frustration and bad feelings, you might want to take a pass on the red dot shotgun scope. When you're going after birds and rabbits with a shotgun, I recommend just not using a scope at all, it's simply not needed. My next best recommendation is to look up the different shotguns on youtube like VonStratos mentioned, there should be plenty to choose from. Good luck and happy hunting!
But, there is a good side to that red dot, like when you are duck hunting and they are coming over but with iron sights when u lead them the gun gets in the way and u cant see how much you are leading by.
Nathan22Outdoors
Mashuu
Hunter

Post by Mashuu »

L3M182 wrote:
Mashuu wrote:I am not 100% sure. But if you MUST buy one, and do not mind not having an optic, get the 10 gauge. It supposedly reaches out a bit further to get those geese, ducks, and rabbits. If you want to have an optic, the 12 gauge pump as a closed red dot that can help. It also has a slug scope. But I feel that one is rather useless.

But, there is no way to actually test anything in game yet :/
I remember reading someplace All birdshot has a max range of 70m. However the 10 gauge does fire a bigger number of pellets so will in theory give you a better chance of hitting a bird with enough pellets to get the kill
Hmm interesting. Thank you for this. No 10 gauge for me then!
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Threwlys wrote:I am very new in this game and my hunting experience from The Hunter Call of the Wild has no use here at all. So, i'm asking if you guys could help to clarify me about what are the differences in the use of this weapons that i own:
- 10 GA Lever Action Shotgun;
- 12 GA Pump Action Shtogun;
- 16 GA Side by Side Shotgun; e
- 20 GA Semi-Automatic Shotgun.
Which one is more effective to hunt birds, varmints, etc.? I like to hunt all of them.
Many thanks in advance for all your help.
10 ga Lever
most powerful within its range and semi-fast follow up shots
6 rounds birdshot/buckshot/slugs good for Birds, Small - Medium -Large - Game Animals except Bison, Bateng, & Water Buffalo

12 ga Slide/Pump *most versatile shotgun with attachable scopes
powerful within its range and slightly slower follow up shots than the 10 ga lever
6 rounds birdshot/buckshot/slugs good for Birds, Small - Medium - Large - Game Animals except Bison, Bateng, & Water Buffalo

16 ga SxS Double
less powerful within its range than 12 ga and very fast follow up shots
2 rounds birdshot/buckshot good for Birds, Small - Medium - Game Animals

20 ga Semi-Auto
less powerful within its range than 16 ga and fast follow up shots
3 rounds birdshot good for Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Pheasants, Ptarmigans & Turkeys

*Note: Shotguns which are less powerful than the 10 ga does not mean that they are less effective within their range at animals being dead
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

Personally, I don't use shotguns a lot and I don't own the 16ga. But. The most fun I have is with the 10ga lever. No doubt.

nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Here I have a link to a goose hunt in Hirschfelden with my 10ga shotgun:
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/nach ... n/80734224

You will see consistent 1-shot kills in the 40m+ range and even 50m+.

It is my firm impression that the 12ga is not able to consistently drop geese at that same distance. We don't even have to talk about the 16ga or the 20ga for those ranges. At shorter ranges with the red dot scope, the 12ga still is an amazing gun. Being scope less the 10ga is harder to aim at long ranges of course.
Code: Select all
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Knut wrote:
J_Birdman wrote:I would argue that if a shotgun scope is truly desired, no matter the animal, then the 2-6x32mm Slug Scope fits the bill no matter what you're going after.
Too cluttered and the higher magnification is detrimental for any kind of moving shots. It's only beneficial for aimed slug shots.
J_Birdman wrote: Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to be shooting at airborne birds with a closed sight, but to each their own. The slight gain in magnification just doesn't justify the severe lack of vision, for me at least.
That might vary a lot with your screen size and resolution. For me on 26" and WQXGA, it's plenty with the scope and more than necessary without.
The red dot and the otherwise completely uncluttered view makes picking up a target and placing the shot way easier and more instinctive.
No, has nothing to do with my monitor. Trap/skeet/clay shooters, wingshooters and waterfowlers alike would never think of using any kind of scope/sight, and for good reason; You don't aim with a shotgun, you point with a shotgun. They're already looking for their next target as they're shooting their current target, same as I do in the game when hunting birds. A closed sight destroys this, and I would argue that even using a properly created red dot scope(unlike the one in the game) would be a hindrance instead of an aid and they're all best left for slug shooting.

I'm all for everyone doing what works best for them, more power to you, but let's not pretend that shotgun scopes are commonly used for shooting small, quick, multiple targets because they're not, and for great reason. That being said, I fully expect a bunch of people to now say they use a scope for this type of shooting. :lol:
Threwlys
Tracker

Post by Threwlys »

Guys, thanks, thanks, thanks to all of you!!! Great informations. You are awesome, very kind.

Return to “General Chat”