I need help to understand the specific effectiveness of each one of this shotgun calibers: 10 GA, 12 GA 16 GA 20 GA.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Threwlys
Tracker

I need help to understand the specific effectiveness of each one of this shotgun calibers: 10 GA, 12 GA 16 GA 20 GA.

Post by Threwlys »

I am very new in this game and my hunting experience from The Hunter Call of the Wild has no use here at all. So, i'm asking if you guys could help to clarify me about what are the differences in the use of this weapons that i own:
- 10 GA Lever Action Shotgun;
- 12 GA Pump Action Shtogun;
- 16 GA Side by Side Shotgun; e
- 20 GA Semi-Automatic Shotgun.
Which one is more effective to hunt birds, varmints, etc.? I like to hunt all of them.
Many thanks in advance for all your help.
1Al
Hunter

Re: I need help to understand the specific effectiveness of each one of this shotgun calibers: 10 GA, 12 GA 16 GA 20 GA.

Post by 1Al »

It depends on each person, you have to try them, but they are all good shotgun for hunting varmints and small stuff.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: I need help to understand the specific effectiveness of each one of this shotgun calibers: 10 GA, 12 GA 16 GA 20 GA.

Post by VonStratos »

Ok i am no expert so i gonna give a very simple answer. the lowest the number the more is the "power" so a 10ga can take down in a ethical way large animals while the 20ga only is allowed for birds and rabbits, that is not a technical answer, just a basic way to put it, more informed hunters may elaborate better.

Now for large and medium animals 10ga and 12ga are the way, which specifically shotgun is better that is a matter of taste, 10ga got good reload and power but no scope, 12ga pump is similar but got both a bird and a slug scope that allow more precise shots, sxs and over/under are great for birds and duck/goose hunting, the 16ga is more like a challenge and got the old style, the 20ga are only for ducks, birds and rabbits but can put 3 fast shots so... there no a absolute better one. That said you can fin videos of all this shotguns in the wiki and in youtube to see them in action and see what do you like the more before buy one.

http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons
Last edited by VonStratos on July 18th, 2018, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

VonStratos gives a pretty good explanation above. I would add that you might want to check the ethical species lists on the Wiki. Not to add to the confusion, but there are different ammo types for most of the shotguns too, with birdshot, buckshot & slugs, so the Wiki is a good resource to check which guns/ammo are ethical for which species.

If I were to recommend one shotgun, it would be the 12 gauge pump. You can load it with birdshot & put a red dot scope on it for waterfowl, all the birds & rabbits. You can load it with buckshot and take deer, bobcats, foxes, coyotes, etc. You can load it with slugs, mount the slug scope & take elk, moose, bear, etc. It is the only shotgun that combines this species list with the ability to mount optics. In my experience, the red dot is very good for bird shooting.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Threwlys, I agree with everything already said except one thing, the red dot shotgun scope.

This is the 2x Red Dot Shotgun Scope, or as I like to simply call it, The Failscope..

Compare to this red dot scope..

See the difference? The whole purpose of a red dot scope(aka open sight scope) is to allow for an open field of vision which makes picking up your targets by eye much faster and easier. Why EW created a closed red dot scope, and why it's never been fixed, is beyond me. If you want to save yourself a little em$ and a whole lot of frustration and bad feelings, you might want to take a pass on the red dot shotgun scope. When you're going after birds and rabbits with a shotgun, I recommend just not using a scope at all, it's simply not needed. My next best recommendation is to look up the different shotguns on youtube like VonStratos mentioned, there should be plenty to choose from. Good luck and happy hunting!
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

Yes, it's true ! ;) :D
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

J_Birdman wrote:If you want to save yourself a little em$ and a whole lot of frustration and bad feelings, you might want to take a pass on the red dot shotgun scope.
I disagree wholeheartedly!

The red dot scope is the best thing by far about the pumpie.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Knut wrote:
J_Birdman wrote:If you want to save yourself a little em$ and a whole lot of frustration and bad feelings, you might want to take a pass on the red dot shotgun scope.
I disagree wholeheartedly!

The red dot scope is the best thing by far about the pumpie.
Lol. I would argue that if a shotgun scope is truly desired, no matter the animal, then the 2-6x32mm Slug Scope fits the bill no matter what you're going after. Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to be shooting at airborne birds with a closed sight, but to each their own. The slight gain in magnification just doesn't justify the severe lack of vision, for me at least.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

J_Birdman wrote:Threwlys, I agree with everything already said except one thing, the red dot shotgun scope.

This is the 2x Red Dot Shotgun Scope, or as I like to simply call it, The Failscope..

Compare to this red dot scope..

See the difference? The whole purpose of a red dot scope(aka open sight scope) is to allow for an open field of vision which makes picking up your targets by eye much faster and easier. Why EW created a closed red dot scope, and why it's never been fixed, is beyond me. If you want to save yourself a little em$ and a whole lot of frustration and bad feelings, you might want to take a pass on the red dot shotgun scope. When you're going after birds and rabbits with a shotgun, I recommend just not using a scope at all, it's simply not needed. My next best recommendation is to look up the different shotguns on youtube like VonStratos mentioned, there should be plenty to choose from. Good luck and happy hunting!

This is an issue I think also effects the handgun scopes . Holding a revolver at arms length will still give you a good field of view. Irons all the way until this issue gets fixes
Mashuu
Hunter

Post by Mashuu »

I am not 100% sure. But if you MUST buy one, and do not mind not having an optic, get the 10 gauge. It supposedly reaches out a bit further to get those geese, ducks, and rabbits. If you want to have an optic, the 12 gauge pump as a closed red dot that can help. It also has a slug scope. But I feel that one is rather useless.

But, there is no way to actually test anything in game yet :/

Return to “General Chat”