Does the spook radius change with render distance?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Re: Does the spook radius change with render distance?

Post by Ravenousfox »

gas56 wrote:
Ravenousfox wrote:Does the spook radius change with render distance?
More or less yes.
As your standard 220m render stopped the animals running much further or hearing shots out past 220m
According to the release notes by the DEVs the shot of a certain rifle sound loudness travel distance on animals past a 220 M render range setting still has the spook effect you just can't see it past 220 M.
A none rendered animal means you can't see it but it's still working even past a 220 M render range setting on the map whatever it is doing (walking, sleeping, fleeing, etc),.. it doesn't just stop being there on the map. Once the animal is spawned on the map it is there to stay until you kill it and harvest it even if you can't see it's model body & skin(textures) outside of your seeable render range that gives better performance on less powerful computers.
Now you can actually see what the animal response is at higher render ranges of 270-320 Meters, because you can see the animal model body & skin and what they're doing past 220 M..
The spook radius was not changed at all as the Devs stated.

These are developer notes given at the release of the changed render range from 220m to 320m.

◾ How does the ERR affect animals spooking from gunshots? ◾ Depending on the size of the gun, it depends on how far the sound travels and this is true for both single and multiplayer games.
◾ Before the change you could not see the animals over 220m fleeing, now you can
◾ The spook mechanics have not changed and are working as they always have.
Gas56 m8, please watch my video and look at what I'm talking about with render.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLwaksyffIg
That's the render trick you can do for 220m. At 320m it's ALOT more difficult and more animal can hear/flee further out at 320m
They basically stop running where they de-rendered from as shown in my video.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

If this is true, then the metrics on weapon/range/impact value would be the secret to this and here's why. YOu could go to BRR, find a pack of Roo's or goats. Back up until they all blanked out but the closest one. You then could shoot it. Then, move forward until the next ones rendered- they were not spooked. Rinse and repeat - I've done it, I've seen it and regardless of what is in that statement, I'm telling you the way it was. Not going to argue about it but this is an old trick/exploit, whatever you want to call it for long range shooting. It was never hard to figure out.
So to make the above statement true- there's been a change somewhere along the way. I haven't done it in a long time, I last did it on goats not long after they came out. It was kind of a pain because they walk around so much they could pop out a lot and you know that you can't just move forward 5m you have to move a fair amount till they rendered, then move backwards again trying to get the range you wanted. All I'm saying is, what I know for a fact conflicts with this in general but we don't know the impact of the weapons used and that is the only thing that leaves it open.

-fyi- Fox, just watched your vid - THIS is exactly what I was referring to. So here's the proof of fact right here. So what would be interesting to try now, is back the settings down to the old 220 and see if it still works the same. Also to try this on max range and see the actual difference. This would solve the whole thing.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

I also have my doubts about this dev statement.

Plus it forgets to mention one thing: even if the spook mechanics haven't been changed, the flee distances certainly have.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Ravenousfox wrote: Gas56 m8, please watch my video and look at what I'm talking about with render.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLwaksyffIg
That's the render trick you can do for 220m. At 320m it's ALOT more difficult and more animal can hear/flee further out at 320m
They basically stop running where they de-rendered from as shown in my video.
Watched your video and the one thing that is noticeable is from far range shooting with a certain rifle is that each has a spook effect of the further distance fired but what is that
certain number.... that is an unknown without exact known distance of how much impact the sound travel noise has with correlation to how much effect it has on spook fleeing
distance. This is what I mean..... The closer the animal is to the shot of a rifle and the louder the noise is how much the animal flee's from the noise?
If you shoot at an animal within' 50 meters will that animal only spook a short distance as it does in longer distances that a rifle spooks it at and makes it flee over a longer distance?
The answer is no.... it will flee relatively a lot further at shorter distances because the loudness of the rifle being used is increasing the spook distance.
As the distance gets further the sound of the rifle decreases in loudness so less spook distance is applied to the factor of what remains with how far the animal runs.

The trick you use to move ahead a few meters is allowing you to see the animals again and is just coincidence to the factors that are applied from loudness distance and less flee distance at that longer range. Like they say nothing has been changed so it was probably made like that to work those distances in the first place and the cut-off was past 220 meters render range and now with longer render ranges you can actually watch what the animal does past the 220 ranges.
This is a snapshot from your vid where the goat just walked out of the picture when you came back in range of over 220 meters of it, I was a little late and missed the goat but it was just there and walked out of range again when I took the screenshot which shows the greater distance a lot more than 160 meters.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Gas, this is exactly what I referred too is the missing data- So to test that, go out there and do the same thing with the 340 let's say, then see if they went farther than with the .223. If what they said is true, with a 220 render, we shouldn't see those same goats just moving a few meters ahead. I have seen moose flee using the 340 when they were visible in the 350m range. I also have seen goats who weren't shot at stop fleeing still in render BEFORE the ERR - when I used the 243 but they were well beyond 220 because of the elevation difference. I moved ahead slightly and there's my wounded goat.

I wonder what we would see with 2 guys, one with min settings and one maxed. One person would have animals rendered the other wouldn't. I suspect they would flee since they are rendered to at least one hunter. - just an idea.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

in theory it shouldn't make a difference how many players there are or what their render settings are as animals work independently on their own AI to react upon a set code towards each individual player within its parameters. Spooking & fleeing would still apply to any of the players that may cause it within those parameters.
Last edited by gas56 on July 16th, 2018, 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Radamus wrote: but they were well beyond 220 because of the elevation difference.
I have in the back of my mind that the spook/call/attraction/etc. distances only take into account the horizontal distances and distance increase due to elevation doesn't change things.

My memory tells me that this was at least discussed, if not confirmed somewhere. But I can't find anything about it.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
ForstHeld
Outfitter

Post by ForstHeld »

Ravenousfox wrote:Does the spook radius change with render distance?
Honestly if you like run and gun it's probably BETTER believe it or not to go back to the old render 220m. Because then animals don't flee/hear shots that far out and you can shoot them once they pop in render then all you have to do is walk a bit forward so they render back in again and shoot. (rinse and repeat, can kill whole groups Feral Goats doing that) A lot more difficult doing that same trick at 320m.
I was away from the game for over a year an startet again 2 days ago and i realized that something is diffrent in the fleeing behaviour. The i realized that i can see animals way further than in the "old" times. I tuned down to old 220m render distance and my huntingstyle works like before. Im pretty sure @Ravenousfox is spot on.
kev0426
Scout

Post by kev0426 »

Is render 320m now?
Sarroth
Tracker

Post by Sarroth »

|theHunter profile

Return to “General Chat”