Reduced animal population?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Nockedup
Hunter

Re: Reduced animal population?

Post by Nockedup »

JimboCrow wrote:I'll tell you something I probably shouldn't, but here goes. :? I'm very stubborn about not leaving a hunt without at least a few harvests, so over time I've come to believe I've noticed a pattern. Call me crazy, but whenever I fight through an obviously horrible spawn, I tend to find at least one pretty decent trophy animal. I'm not saying I haven't also taken leaderboard material in a good spawn, but I find that if I stick it out through a lousy spawn I quite often (more often than not) will eventually come across a taxer. It might just be coincidence, it might only be my human pattern-seeking mind playing tricks on me, but there it is. Maybe it's because when there are fewer animals around I'm not just shooting up the place, and so not scaring hell out of everything within earshot. :? I dunno, but it SEEMS to work for me, so that now I always stick it out in a bad spawn. Several of my all time personal bests have come out of the worst spawns. No joke. :)
There's a lot of truth in what Jimbo said here. Maybe I'm crazy too! :lol:
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nockedup's Twitch Channel

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

At least in Pickabeen Bay I have recently come across frozen animals quite often (Rusa&Sambar). If animals freeze up that makes for quite eerie maps where very few encounters happen
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

JimboCrow wrote:
Radamus wrote:Some spawns are just going to suck- the secret is how quickly you can figure it out.
I'll tell you something I probably shouldn't, but here goes. :? I'm very stubborn about not leaving a hunt without at least a few harvests, so over time I've come to believe I've noticed a pattern. Call me crazy, but whenever I fight through an obviously horrible spawn, I tend to find at least one pretty decent trophy animal. I'm not saying I haven't also taken leaderboard material in a good spawn, but I find that if I stick it out through a lousy spawn I quite often (more often than not) will eventually come across a taxer. It might just be coincidence, it might only be my human pattern-seeking mind playing tricks on me, but there it is. Maybe it's because when there are fewer animals around I'm not just shooting up the place, and so not scaring hell out of everything within earshot. :? I dunno, but it SEEMS to work for me, so that now I always stick it out in a bad spawn. Several of my all time personal bests have come out of the worst spawns. No joke. :)

(Full Disclosure: Lots of folks here know that I have espoused some really whacko theories over the years. For instance, I've also noticed that when there are ravens croaking in the woods on Whiterime Ridge, there's always a 220+ moose standing underneath my tree stand on RFF. :lol: )
Right that true Jimbo~ With that thought brings music to the mind

"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Greywolf01
Tracker

Post by Greywolf01 »

Haven't hunted cottontails in awhile but seems to me that their numbers have gone way down. Was this by demand or what? Used to be so many that you had to travel only short distances to find the critters and shoot plenty. Now you find only small amounts in larger distances. Please let me know if anyone has an answer. Thanks.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

JimboCrow wrote:(Full Disclosure: Lots of folks here know that I have espoused some really whacko theories over the years. For instance, I've also noticed that when there are ravens croaking in the woods on Whiterime Ridge, there's always a 220+ moose standing underneath my tree stand on RFF. :lol: )
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Greywolf01 wrote:Haven't hunted cottontails in awhile but seems to me that their numbers have gone way down. Was this by demand or what? Used to be so many that you had to travel only short distances to find the critters and shoot plenty. Now you find only small amounts in larger distances. Please let me know if anyone has an answer. Thanks.
I've noticed that too. Those Cottontails I only find in SC these days...
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I don't hunt rabbits often, but doing a comp recently on LP, I found them on my go-to spots as always. Did a hunt on LP last night and again, although not looking for them, found them in places I expect. if there's been some kind of change you couldn't prove it by me.
Spawns vary and some suck, nothing new and this discussion becomes one of the longest running forum theories of change. I'm confident I can find rabbits under 5 minutes anytime I want on LP. Now the other places, that's a different story.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Greywolf01
Tracker

Post by Greywolf01 »

Ty everyone for your input. I just remember seeing a lot more then Im seeing now. Again tks for helping.
jim1975
Scout

Post by jim1975 »

Greywolf01 wrote:Haven't hunted cottontails in awhile but seems to me that their numbers have gone way down. Was this by demand or what? Used to be so many that you had to travel only short distances to find the critters and shoot plenty. Now you find only small amounts in larger distances. Please let me know if anyone has an answer. Thanks.

Been hunting them the last few days on LP. Haven't had any problems in finding them, or is it because I'm a guest now? Took my usual routes to find them and haven't been disappointed with it. Only spent about half hour each hunt and was finding 4-5 rabbits and missing more. Spent a bit longer on a hunt today (1h 15m) and managed to bag 15 rabbits. Hunt results: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/jim1 ... n/82083957

Also never found the WT buck this antler came from. Shame lol as it was a nice size:

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

jim1975 wrote:

Been hunting them the last few days on LP. Haven't had any problems in finding them, or is it because I'm a guest now? Took my usual routes to find them and haven't been disappointed with it. Only spent about half hour each hunt and was finding 4-5 rabbits and missing more. Spent a bit longer on a hunt today (1h 15m) and managed to bag 15 rabbits. Hunt results: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/jim1 ... n/82083957

Also never found the WT buck this antler came from. Shame lol as it was a nice size:

Usually there is aplenty of rabbits in that route areas, the thing is that usually the see me first and i only find their tracks, i have also tracked them near the canyon bridge and in the clear plains of the western edge of LP, but that route its like a charm to lvl the pointer, other places to find rabbits easily are the fields near the lodges in settlers.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
jim1975
Scout

Post by jim1975 »

I usually use summer field camo, no scent reduction and either air rifle or .22. I try and spot them from afar if I can and get within -100m with the .22 and around 50m with the air rifle. Keep your settings on low graphics makes it easier to spot them as well. Sometimes they spot me and flee but they don't usually go too far.

Return to “General Chat”