Hit Boxes

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
L3M182
Outfitter

Re: Hit Boxes

Post by L3M182 »

This has been an issue since I started playing and has been the same for the many species added since. So this is something either deep in the code or a mistake in how the animal internals are modelled. It’s got to the point I thought it was common knowledge to shoot left or right of dead center to at least get 1 lung. As it’s a high probability to get the guts and miss the boiler room
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

There are dozens of posts and threads here regarding hit boxes, on a lot of species, but mostly bears. For months. And there is never a mention from our esteemed Community Managers, or even an acknowledgement that the problem exists. But just this morning, after a criticism, TK writes this:
TreeKiwi wrote:
L3M182 wrote:The overall condition of the game, content quality, communication and general attitude of the development team and community Over the past 6 months has degraded significantly imo . Got to say that this has got to be probably the worst it’s been for the forums and game as a whole. its not particularly an enjoyable place for me to spend time atm. Whiterime was bad but not this prolonged or wide spread. It just seems to be wall to wall and seems to have been so for all of 2018
How would you like the communication to change? What has not been communicated over the last 6 months?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hey Stan... before I even started here I put a post up asking about hit boxes, specifically on bears. I was told by all the old guys that it was just my shooting... I even linked the organ chart and said where I was shooting them and that judging by the chart I should be getting lung shots. From memory I was told that it would probably never change. These problems have been around a lot longer than my time... remember I'm not even here working, it's my Sunday and I thought I would pop in and see how things are. Like I said in the PM to you.

I was asking how I can do my job better, in my response to Liam. Isn't that a good thing? I actually care that I do a good job and asking for pointers, can only be a good thing right?
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

TreeKiwi wrote:Hey Stan... before I even started here I put a post up asking about hit boxes, specifically on bears. I was told by all the old guys that it was just my shooting... I even linked the organ chart and said where I was shooting them and that judging by the chart I should be getting lung shots. From memory I was told that it would probably never change. These problems have been around a lot longer than my time... remember I'm not even here working, it's my Sunday and I thought I would pop in and see how things are. Like I said in the PM to you.

I was asking how I can do my job better, in my response to Liam. Isn't that a good thing? I actually care that I do a good job and asking for pointers, can only be a good thing right?
This would be my immediate pointer. Instead of taking each criticism personally, and directing your response to the poster, perhaps this:

"How would the community like to see the communication change. Does anyone know of anything that has not been communicated over the last 6 months."

I'm guessing you would get a list from several members.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Communication is not really the problem. The total and complete lack of action after complaints are communicated is the problem. Mat you asked if I would work directly with Martin and give you your family time, so I contacted him, and made the videos he requested, and sent them to him. Last friday I sent him just a short note asking for a status update. His reply was that he sent vids to production, and they would look at it when they had time. Well I was told the same thing over 2 years ago about the recurve and other bows string jumping problem. Guess what.....they are still broke 2 yrs later. How damn long do us bow hunters have to wait until someone has time. You have no problem taking our money, so why are bow hunters treated like second class hunters?
And don't try to tell me that we are not, just take for instance, portable targets were just released. Lets see, what was it now 10/12/15 targets released, and not a one suitable for bow hunters, all designed for firearms. Never even a thought about making maybe 1 out of all those for bow hunters.
Back to hit boxed, I think I am correct here, this is a HUNTING game.....right? Seems like vital organ location in the model would be an important part of a HUNTING game. I mean hell it's not like it is a new game, one would think after 10 years somebody would have figured out how to do it. Bullet and Arrow impacts I would think would be also an important part of a HUNTING game, but no, someone will look at it when they can find time. Definitively not the answers any hunter is looking for, but certainly the answer we always get when it is brought up.

Rant over.....for now.
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

TreeKiwi wrote:I was asking how I can do my job better, in my response to Liam. Isn't that a good thing? I actually care that I do a good job and asking for pointers, can only be a good thing right?
Shooting the messenger never helped things to get through to the Devs and I know you are trying in doing your best.
Now it's time for the Devs to take serious action to the problems that should be at the top of their priority list
when there are so many players to report the same problems. So it's more than 1 player confirming that it happens, and it does happen.
Take note of the Devs responses with their replies and it may qualm the on lookers for some kind of explanation why is it taking so long
to get the bug(s) fixed that cause the sometimes multiple bullet path or the extreme off target bullet accuracy on widespread hitboxes.
This isn't the time to let problems slip along slowly over the summer months even if the EW workforce gets to become minimal.
As paying customers still expect a half decent working game,.. and hopefully knowing that the game will get fixed at some point and time,..
but does finally get fixed and at a sooner point the better.
What does bother me personally is that in 2015 the game worked harmoniously better than it is now being taken care of.
With the ongoing game process developing it should not become less represented of it's former self and in being the best hunting game out there does
not mean that it has to be wider or more intricate where it has flaws in working right consistently over it's lifespan but only to produce a game
that performs in what it was intended in doing in the first place which brought the player base to enjoy it at it's best which doesn't mean that
it has to be able to do everything that the Developers are now turning it into.
In that point, it is obviously not performing right that way and has gone in the wrong direction with negatively effecting full enjoyment of customer playing satisfaction.
Sincerely,.. a concerned customer............................GAS
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

In the past when we would have a technical issue like this, it wasn't uncommon that a programmer would set us straight if we didn't understand how some mechanics or specifics worked when on their side of the screen everything was working as designed and implemented.

This interaction didn't happen a lot, but it happened a few times. This is what I sometimes refer to as "throwing us a bone", just a little partnership with the people responsible for making this world and keeping it running. We had some AMA's with artists, animators, programmers, back end and sound folks. Having those small input/output discussions went a long way imho to relations and understanding both sides of what is reality. Put your big boy and girl pants on, don't take it personal and toss the morons who thinks it's a whiner session or "Bash the Devs" session. Some people are incapable of understanding it's an opportunity not a confrontation. Don't defend, excuse or try to explain away what we see as reality. Might I suggest another go at an AMA?

TK, you're a Com Mgr now, not a mod- you have a jewell in your hands- what do you do with it? Status quo? or you going to set the standards how it's done? Everyone, and I mean everyone with any position of importance fights a 2 front battle. 2 ways to go, soldier or officer - be an officer and lead. ... I'm trying to encourage you man, think! .... everything you need is before you. Don't accept failure, challenge others. The secret is pulling that off with no effort - attitude is everything. Here's what divides the memorable and the forgettable - If you don't know what you're going to accomplish by the end of the day before it starts, you're reactive. If you do know, you're proactive and the one whom no one forgets.

For example - someone in programming give us a little tutorial of how a shot on our moose, or black bears or whatever works and why we see what we interpret as an anomaly/problem/bug/fault. It either IS an issue or we're not smart enough to know why it isn't an issue, clue us in.

And save the "we're a small group with limited resources" ... We know that, and we get that, make that fact a positive. No one is asking for instant gratification, it's never been about that. Be leaders. Leaders don't plan for achieving "satisfactory" leaders plan for "no end in sight" making the days challenge a cake walk by making the path into the unknown without fear.

So people go to work starting with - OK, I have to check things off my list and I'm going home - I get it, I do it at times. Others jump all in with a goal and pride with the attitude you're going to kick ass because you can and you are that good.

I need a refill so I'm done ` So go kick ass! and don't worry about names, no one will ever care ;)

the folks in that office have the best fan club one could ask for but we need a reason to believe that they too believe.

I'm not on the "the game is junk" train, not at all -but sure, like any other day since the first time I've played there's something that needs fixing. That's not going to change and it's why people have a job and it's why this "Fan Club" signs the check - Make us feel good about that, that's all.

So for the staff, here's something to think about - you're working on a 10 year old game - You've got dedicated players here since the start, many for years and new ones still coming in. All the pieces for a Legacy game to be honored in the hall of fame of game production are here. Exploit your strengths. Want it more than anyone everyday and you'll never know defeat.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
wvmtman59
Spotter

Post by wvmtman59 »

Good job!
HawkEye81
Tracker

Post by HawkEye81 »

I was helping a friend with a big horn mission- heart shot, and I just want to remember that animals hit boxes are still so damn bad, here is an example https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/hawk ... /614101907
I shot this one at 13 meters while I was prone, all most perfect front shot, animal state idle (wasn't moving at all) aimed at hearth and I got only a body hit, no other organs .Mosin Nagant at 13 m hitting only body is just a Laughing matter, but we are not laughing, it's just frustrating to see this, maybe we should start trowing rocks at them to get better results? At least it would be much cheaper regarding that I paid for this weapon and scope real money !!!!!
Another shot at 20m with SxS 16G bucksot, broad side was only a body shot also.Both animals drop on spot with 100% harvest value with no organs hit...
I remember in the past getting weird results from time to time from shots but lately it's worst and worst and not only on big horn sheep (which by the way they still Don't a have sound when they fight and this was reported on bugs https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... nd#p930167 Five months ago with Zero results :( )
I've seen on Mp servers more and more ppls complaining (to say it kindly) about the number of game bugs and the time needed for a fix.Don't got me wrong we all like and want new content but most of us will prefer to see the existing one fixed before something new, I know new stuff brings more income for EW and that is needed for the existence of the game in the future but you guys over there should have some priorities and they should start with the present bugs and player complains and after that move to new stuff!!!
I've heard other players saying that they had stopped paying for anything in the game until they see the game and current bugs fixed and even thought I just recently brought few new items and a one year subscription I'm thinking to do the same in the future, I can only speak in my name but I guess others might share my thoughts when I'm saying that we need the Stuff for what We Paid and continue paying to work!!!
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Since this is going no where I made a vid awhile back showing exactly what's wrong with the hitbox on Black Bear.
Hopefully the video helps... Shown in my video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafaJNCDJig
(You may need to watch TK) ;)
0:27 hit - 3:21 result.
4:58 hit - 7:21 result.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox

Return to “General Chat”