Leveling weapons and skills, any preferred way?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Mackie2112
Tracker

Leveling weapons and skills, any preferred way?

Post by Mackie2112 »

Hello all,

I am presently leveling one rifle, one shotgun, one pistol and one bow during my daily hunts. Im trying to stick to specific species I enjoy first in order to increase my tracking and spotting abilities. I feel like i am missing something. Sometimes I just like to grab the fancy rifle and just go after something new. I try to be regimented in the way I approach my skill advancement, but i see I have been more fluid. Id there a way some of you prefer? Like stick to one weapon/weapons and species till max etc?

Thanks for taking the time to help a Newbie!
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Leveling weapons and skills, any preferred way?

Post by VonStratos »

For rifles i have no particular advice other than if you also are trying to lvl up the spotting then use a high zoom scope, so you can spot and shoot from further distance, for shotguns its easy, duck hunting (or goose) if you don't have a setup, pheasant or any animal that you can get close and take with a well placed slug, like moose or reed deer, bow is the same as shotgun, and pheasant hunting work really good too, but the difference is that you kill them in ground, in Hirsh you can get a lot of them, pistol is similar too, they work better against animals that you can get close, but depend on what animals your pistol can hunt in a ethical way.

Now there is something clear, the best way to lvl up is just hunt and enjoy, don't overdo yourself trying to lvl all while letting the fun escape, the weapons will lvl up after all, but more than that your own skills will improve at the point where the weapon level will not be so relevant in a hunt.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Mackie2112
Tracker

Post by Mackie2112 »

Thank you. I do enjoy being fluid and just enjoying the hunt and experience. I did grab the shooting tripod for those super long distances when I am using a newer weapon. It helps a great deal in reducing the wobble enough for a good shot placement.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Level your bow from a tree stand do a search in the fan guides section for the hot spots to hunt. Call and kill everything on the map I know easier said than done when you are first starting out but you will learn how to drop animals with the bow quickly. Don't get out of the stand to collect them just let them pile up and pick them all up at the end.

As for your rifles you could pick a hard to kill animal like bison and shoot them in the intestines then shoot them again as they run off. 2,3,4 times what ever it takes. since your shooting skill is accrued by how many shots you hit not how many kills you get.
Spoiler:
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Welcome! Good to see you're getting into it to the point of considering these finer points because they do make a difference.
Weapons are kind of all over the place at first but for me, once you hit lvl 5 or so they start to become pretty reliable. I notice this when ever a new gun comes out and how crappy I am with it at first because you get used to using those old favorites you can always count on so it's a bit of a shock. Our shots fly around in the beginning no matter how well or steady we aim.

I'd rate trk/spot on animals to be higher in importance because if you put the time into tracking an animal you want it to be for something worthy of your time spent. Lvl 20 it the highest of course, but getting to 10 adds a bunch of valuable information in most cases and 15 is the sweet spot lvl because then you get remaining animal health on blood tracks. This helps knowing how a body shot will turn out for example and whether it's going to die or you'll have to shoot it again. From 15 to 20 your scoring/weight accuracy increases with a smaller range to the point you can pretty much call the score based on the spot but tracking is only weight and you can have fat animals with crud scores and skinny ones make the leaderboard.
The trick to increasing tracking is this, collect every track you come across. If you shoot an animal, track it back before collecting, get at least the 3 dots, those first 3 give the most points for trk lvl but they all add up. Same thing with spotting, spot everything, having the variable power spotting scope helps to acquire even the farthest critters.
Also keep an eye on weekly updates. Once in a while they will announce a double points weekend, like they do sales where we get double points for tracking and spotting and skills. It's good to hammer those weekends if possible, you can make some gains pretty quick. I usually like to work on the things I'm not very high on because I may not hunt them often.

Above all, enjoy the game. I've never started a hunt without a plan of something I'd like to do, and can't remember too many that I ever ended up where I wanted to :lol: ~ I'd say 10 minutes into most hunts whatever you thought would happen is forgotten about by what is about to happen :lol:
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Mackie2112
Tracker

Post by Mackie2112 »

Radamus wrote:Welcome! Good to see you're getting into it to the point of considering these finer points because they do make a difference.
Weapons are kind of all over the place at first but for me, once you hit lvl 5 or so they start to become pretty reliable. I notice this when ever a new gun comes out and how crappy I am with it at first because you get used to using those old favorites you can always count on so it's a bit of a shock. Our shots fly around in the beginning no matter how well or steady we aim.

I'd rate trk/spot on animals to be higher in importance because if you put the time into tracking an animal you want it to be for something worthy of your time spent. Lvl 20 it the highest of course, but getting to 10 adds a bunch of valuable information in most cases and 15 is the sweet spot lvl because then you get remaining animal health on blood tracks. This helps knowing how a body shot will turn out for example and whether it's going to die or you'll have to shoot it again. From 15 to 20 your scoring/weight accuracy increases with a smaller range to the point you can pretty much call the score based on the spot but tracking is only weight and you can have fat animals with crud scores and skinny ones make the leaderboard.
The trick to increasing tracking is this, collect every track you come across. If you shoot an animal, track it back before collecting, get at least the 3 dots, those first 3 give the most points for trk lvl but they all add up. Same thing with spotting, spot everything, having the variable power spotting scope helps to acquire even the farthest critters.
Also keep an eye on weekly updates. Once in a while they will announce a double points weekend, like they do sales where we get double points for tracking and spotting and skills. It's good to hammer those weekends if possible, you can make some gains pretty quick. I usually like to work on the things I'm not very high on because I may not hunt them often.

Above all, enjoy the game. I've never started a hunt without a plan of something I'd like to do, and can't remember too many that I ever ended up where I wanted to :lol: ~ I'd say 10 minutes into most hunts whatever you thought would happen is forgotten about by what is about to happen :lol:
Thank you for your post. The guidance is appreciated. I had not known they have like a double xp weekend. I will surely keep my eye out for it as with the summer and all the sales and competitions runnign I am getting a feeling after reading this they may have one.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Mackie2112 wrote:I had not known they have like a double xp weekend. I will surely keep my eye out for it as with the summer and all the sales and competitions runnign I am getting a feeling after reading this they may have one.
I'm not sure whether they still do "double XP" weekends. Actually I think we're still stuck in one - leveling seems to be much faster nowadays and I think that they changed something about it. Which is fine since we have sooo many species now.
Image Image Image

Return to “General Chat”