What happend to this GAME- RANT. Dont read if your a touchy feely person.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Re: What happend to this GAME- RANT. Dont read if your a touchy feely person.

Post by INTIMID883R »

1 Why would a tester fill a bait barrel, climb a rope, or shoot from a tower if he was testing deployable targets and the new ERR?
In my mind, because those things would be the least likely to be affected.

2 A limited group of testers can only focus on a limited number of things.

If testers or small group were given one and only one reserve to Test, and told to test and report on everything he could possibly test on that reserve, it should
and would be more efficient.

Also the BETA build should be the same build exactly, and not a build with collectibles still there from over 6 months ago, and God only knows what else. As
messed up as every release has been for so many years, one would think that somebody in authority would have learned something by now.
Spoiler:
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Game's not broken, no. The feeders are a bit bust but mostly the animals are fine.

That said I'd like it if they hunkered down & focused on bug fixes for awhile. It can certainly be irritating when animals are still getting stuck on trees & dogs are still bugged to the point of being unusable.

But the game isn't broken and I will keep playing.

They did communicate which bugs are being looked into in the status report and it looks like plenty is on the radar for fixing.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

i agree when bugs show their face its so infuriating and nobody is arguing that is doesn't happen a bit to often. but come on, ropes being out of place and bears not coming to feeders... the update was to do with render range. the devs have told us time and again the engine is a relic and its had more people work on it than a taxis had passengers. this just shows that absolutely anything can cause another thing to go wrong. if development slows down and every rock and stone is turned during testing. releases would be few and far between and the game would simply dry up and die with lack of revenue. increased render has been begged for for years and the impact from animal behavior, to game balance to system requirements has probably had to have been addressed and questioned for this release that has earned the game probably very little.

unrelated but touchy mean easily upset. touchy feely means something entirely different pal.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

I agree with Stan and Tony on the testing. I think offsite-testing would be a pretty straightforward means of helping some issues/bugs get sorted before release. I believe that if there were one play-tester per reserve, tasked with hunting every species within their respective reserves for even just a week or two, we'd see less buggy releases. This could be broken down many different ways, there's lots of options. You could have testers dedicated to certain species, styles of hunting(stalk hunters, platform hunters, birders, etc.), for example. Whatever the exact system, I doubt anyone currently working in EW has either the amount of hands-on gameplay experience or time to do it properly, more than the many long-timer players here. They are the greatest resource/archive of game knowledge when it comes to actually playing it, they are the ones who know when something is off. Bring back the Warden title and give the testers a shiny new jacket for it and EW would have to beat people back with a stick, lol. One could argue that the relatively tiny amount of testers couldn't possibly represent the player-base at large due to differences in computer hardware or internet quality, and they'd probably be right, but I would argue that it would still be a big help in preventing at least the major/less quirky bugs from seeing the light of day. I'm not a programmer or "pro" tester either, it seems a bit like magic to me to be honest, but I would also think it logical that any testing would be done using the same exact build as the live version. I dunno. It would be great if someone from EW would have a chat with us here, maybe help us understand the testing processes a bit better. It's a pretty interesting topic, in and of itself, that I'd love to learn more on.
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

Tod1d wrote:To play devil's advocate, why would a tester fill a bait barrel, climb a rope, or shoot from a tower if he was testing deployable targets and the new ERR?

Why those things would be affected by the enhancement I can't even imagine, but a limited group of testers can only focus on a limited number of things.

Do we need better testing & quality control? Absolutely! Would it be better if releases were postponed until a certain quality level is reached? I think so.

But some things are still going to slip through the cracks, even with a comprehensive testing process some things that are totally unrelated conceptually, but apparently related in the software get affected.

Hopefully they'll get the serious stuff squared away in short time.

That's what i'm saying, we need more people to test bugs but they will never get all of them.
Who knew adding a new render would zoom is iron sights?
90% of the glitches that come with additions are totally unrelated
Nathan22Outdoors
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

it is known that many things break when doing a new build.all main features should be tested.or make a testing group bigger so unexpected issues show up easier.

feeders are a big part of the hunter for eg. each build this could be looked at. you could even say could someone or persons try feeder for assign positions for testing certain items even.i guess it comes down to how many test.how much time you have .

a good tester will try random things. to see if unexpected issues occur.then it comes down to priority.
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

Or maybe EW need to figure out a core/base engine again and apply the features that way. To clean up the patch on patch structure. Sure, This mean a lot of effort from the devs but you'll end up w a more solid engine than the Jenga tower it us now with all the patching.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

rhapsodaisical wrote:Or maybe EW need to figure out a core/base engine again and apply the features that way. To clean up the patch on patch structure. Sure, This mean a lot of effort from the devs but you'll end up w a more solid engine than the Jenga tower it us now with all the patching.
if they were ever going to do that they might aswell move to the COTW engine and kill 2 birds with 1 stone
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

rhapsodaisical wrote:Or maybe EW need to figure out a core/base engine again and apply the features that way. To clean up the patch on patch structure. Sure, This mean a lot of effort from the devs but you'll end up w a more solid engine than the Jenga tower it us now with all the patching.
i think the main issue has been so many different devs and coders throughout the years that is just hard to change certain things because everyone does things different.some people do this on purpose so only they know how to fix things so they are kept employed or...if a issue needs fixing they are called in to fix it and can name their price.as others maybe cant fix it.

ideally a new start would be great but as this has been brought up so many times.the cost risk time it takes to make this happen isnt a easy decision to make.its alright us saying just make a new engine and transfer it over.it doesnt work like that.it isnt simple.it could cost millions for all we know.its easy to suggest things.making them a reality is a totally different thing.

i do in a way hope that there is a roadmap or thoughts to the future for classic.would love to see it either upgraded or start a new life.in some way or form.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

I'm going to try to comment a little , holding on , on being too aggressive and / or negative .

First ,people / players that think that this game ain't broken ,you need to clean your glasses . The word '' broken '' is just one of many words that could be used , and you need to see this .( Other words meaning the same thing : not playing as intended ,is scr.ewed ,is fuc.ked up ,is bad , suc.ks ...etc )
If your standards are low , good for you . Mine aren't . I was used to a certain degree of quality and its dropping every month or so now .

From my experiences , of almost 5 years of playing , many hours a day , every day , this game , the gameplay, is worst than 5 years ago .
The last patch ,for the addition of render distances , made it for me .So many things are '' broken ''now ( meaning that things changed , are not working as intended , etc ) that its ridiculous .

I made a thread , a while back ,proposing to have a testing group . A real , serious group , to help out . But i know it will never happen . I'm not saying that EW are not serious people now , don't go there ! Just saying that a group , made especially for testing would be the way to go .

In another game , and Tony can confirm this also , because he was a prime tester, a group was made and we were PLAYING the game . Testing every aspect of that game , after being given updates / patches . Was it effective ? Hell ya ! We were finding stuff and reported them to the bosses .

Would even be proposing myself to be a tester ,but not for free of course ,lol.
Reporting bugs today is almost a full time job now .

Just to name a few , from last patch :
- Ropes vanishing
- Baiting system flaws
- Spawning at tent , farther than before . Need to approach the tent now to go in .
- Tower wobble .
- Zoom of some weapons .
- Animals going outside of limits . i.e. Polar bears / Dall Sheep out 150m at sea .
- Bobcat running in circles again .

If that's not a bad patch , i don't know what is . But like i said , if you are o.k. with the actual game , it's all in your rights .

Hoping to have a decent game soon and i know that EW are working on it .
Keep up the work .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Return to “General Chat”