Most accurate, hard hitting gun at long range?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Griph
Spotter

Most accurate, hard hitting gun at long range?

Post by Griph »

So, I'm really enjoying the new view/draw distance. It adds a tremendous amount of realism, both in terms of what you actually see in the RW and in terms of ballistics.

I'm wondering what people think the most accurate, flatest trajectory weapon is now. I suspect the .340 Weatherby Magnum might win overall, at least in terms of knock-down power at distance, but I'm particularly wondering about those guns that work for most game, the deer species up to the smaller large animals like elk.
Granti
Hunter

Re: Most accurate, hard hitting gun at long range?

Post by Granti »

you will get many answers for that question;)

but here is a thread from not long ago with exactly the same subject: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p927718

the 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle is missing there

i for myself really like the .300 and im really impressed by the knock-down power of the .30-06 stutzen
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

My impression.

The ones with the flattest trajectories beginning with the most powerful:

1. .340
2. .300
3. .30R
4. 8X57IS
5. 7mm
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

That’s an interesting list. And makes some sense.

I read the other thread on the most powerful and versatile rifles when it came out, but that’s not actually the same question at all and was pre-draw distance change. My question is about flat trajectory at our new distances and knockdown power and penetration at these new more extreme ranges.

Perhaps folks setting up the shooting ranges with the new deplorable will have some insights soon.

I was hunting yesterday and took shots on Reindeer at near 300m with the 7mm. With only the 9x scope, precise placement was tricky so hard to say how much drop, and the 7mm isn’t the hardest hitting round even at closer distance, so hard to say how much energy it lost over that distance. It was not an ideal shot, with he animal quartering away from me, but he was showing no signs of changing direction and was close to disappearing. I aimed for his lungs but hit further back in his intestines and the bullet didn’t penetrate further forward than that. He was also standing uphill, so that hit could have been partly bullet drop.

I’m just very curious whether our choice of weapons will be more limited by penetration values and ballistics out beyond 250m. I think I’ll take the .340 and .30R out next and try for moose or other larger animals at range. I should probably get the new scope so I can place my shots more precisely.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

I don't have any of these except for the 7mm, but I can say that the .45-70 RAPIDLY loses accuracy (and height) past the old 200m, and the 7mm loses -none- that I can tell. I've taken several shots at around 300m and my 7mm break-action is still exactly on the crosshairs (new Eagle scope, mind you). That said, if you're hunting anything very large (bison as an example), the 7mm will NOT penetrate to organs. You need a bigger gun for that. For deer and anything smaller, 7mm is accurate and plenty strong enough, though.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Yeah, you should definitely get the new rifle scope. It's almost a must when doing this kind of testing. A lot of rifles can't equip the new scope hence I haven't tried the new render range on those ones.
Penetration will be the new thing. It already is for me. I've tried the rifles which can equip the new scope on animals at +300m and all of them can do it. A lot of times though, it will be a "body shot". Lethal, but still not penetrating any visible organs. The .223 bolt action I haven't got to +300m as of yet though. I think I've managed to get it to 282m something. There's no need to try it on foxes at those distances. They're just too tanky. Roe deers I've found to be possible. It really becomes a matter of finding the "least tanky" animal on the permitted list when going for an one-shot-kill at distances.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

340 if its ethical is the most easiest to smash big game at distance.it really depends on what kind of distance you shooting and what animal. to some people they think 250-300m is far when others think 400m minimum.that is very different.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

I enjoy shooting long shots but I won't be playing the "game-in-game" - searching for elevation, scent sprays, scouts and fast traveling etc. That's pushing it too far for my taste. I'll stick to render range +/- a few meters.
I do applaud people pulling longer shots of though.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Granti wrote:you will get many answers for that question;)

but here is a thread from not long ago with exactly the same subject: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p927718

the 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle is missing there

i for myself really like the .300 and im really impressed by the knock-down power of the .30-06 stutzen
Most powerful/versatile Rifles? that Post link has nothing to do with Most accurate, hard hitting gun at long range. The .340 Wbee would fill this slot (as an example)
Those rifles were picked because of their hard hitting/versatile allowable lists range. As the .300 win mag was. (as an example)
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

ronMctube wrote:340 if its ethical is the most easiest to smash big game at distance.it really depends on what kind of distance you shooting and what animal. to some people they think 250-300m is far when others think 400m minimum.that is very different.
And now records will be broken,.. even topped by a long shot..
I may take a long shot,.. but I'm not one that will break long distance records with a rifle, or even try.
But give somebody the tools and there will be players lining up to try.............. ;)

Return to “General Chat”