How far do they run?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
kahuamp
Scout

How far do they run?

Post by kahuamp »

Hi all,

I was just curious about the fleeing distance when spooked by a weapon, vs fleeing distance when spooked by detecting you.

Do they run just as far in both cases?

The reason I'm asking this is because I am a guest now and would like to save my arrows for comps etc. Is it worth deliberately scaring a low scoring animal or female to avoid spooking others with the gunshot? Thanks
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: How far do they run?

Post by Tanngnjostr »

kahuamp wrote:Do they run just as far in both cases?
As far as I know, the animals run further when spooked by a shot than when spooked by detecting you. I'm not 100% sure though, would love to hear the others chime in.
Image Image Image
kahuamp
Scout

Post by kahuamp »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
kahuamp wrote:Do they run just as far in both cases?
As far as I know, the animals run further when spooked by a shot than when spooked by detecting you. I'm not 100% sure though, would love to hear the others chime in.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am aware that a gunshot will also scare animals all around me, while a spooked one will just affect the ones in its fleeing path which is already a plus. Still like to hear what others think :)
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

I think also , that they spook farther with a weapon being shot vs. spooked by hearing / seeing you only .
From my exps also, you can add a couple meters if there is more than one animal spooked and fleeing together . They will run a bit farther because of all the commotion they make between themselves . Then , they will trot a lot , all over the place ,trying to regroup .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Return to “General Chat”