Question Regarding Shot Placement on Bear

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
zacht180

Question Regarding Shot Placement on Bear

Post by zacht180 »

Hey guys, quick question here. I've done a bit of bear hunting normally using the 45-70 and have had no problem for obvious reasons. However out of curiosity I've been trying out 12ga slugs on black bear since I've not used slugs much. I aim right behind/armpit their shoulder similar to how you would aim broad-side on deer. These pictures and diagrams show generally what I'm aiming for:

However, on 2/3 occasions the game registered the shot as an intestinal wound and I end up having to track them for anywhere 60-100m before finding them dead. I'm not really upset about having to track an animal after shooting it, I'm just unsure as to why the bullet wound ends up turning into an intestinal injury. Is the bullet ricocheting off of bone? Does the game even process terminal ballistics in that manner? Maybe I am aiming too far back towards the rear or too low, but here's a picture with the bullet wound decal to give you an example:

This was a straight broad-side shot from about 30m.

Any tips are appreciated!
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Re: Question Regarding Shot Placement on Bear

Post by INTIMID883R »

It is really because some people can't seem to get it through their heads, that there are no intestines housed within the rib cage.
Spoiler:
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

My tip would be just shoot on the leg, seems to work,
not too far forward just a couple inches over onto the leg seems to hit heart most of the time.

Nathan22Outdoors
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

It seems to me that all the animals in Classic have the heart to far up & to far forward. The pic Nathan has is IMO a good reference on where to aim.

zacht180

Post by zacht180 »

SoftShoe wrote:It seems to me that all the animals in Classic have the heart to far up & to far forward. The pic Nathan has is IMO a good reference on where to aim.
Thank you both for the advice. I'll give it a try here when my shift is over and make proper adjustments and report back.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

@zacht180 No there is no bone ricochet. There are many animals with hitbox issues in the game but bears aren't usually under suspicion. Ever shoot an animal full-on straight chest and get no heart/lungs but instead get rear organs? Go figure that one out, I'm still at a loss. But I agree with Softshoe about EW's overall organ placements. I tend to go by the game's organ models(seen in the harvest screen and post-hunt stats) when trying to figure out where things are. It kills me that so many animals' hearts are right "in" the leg instead of a little behind when they're standing perfect, and have the shoulder blade shots to prove it, hah. Looking at your pic and comparing it to the organ model, it's a toss-up. Personally for bear I aim tight in the armpit. In general, I say if you're not hitting what you should be, adjust a little and test, you'll find it.
sircaptgordo
Tracker

Post by sircaptgordo »

I use a crossbow a lot which would be a similar hit. If it's a side shot I shoot right above the front leg. If it's straight on, I wait until they lower their head to eat. Then shoot right through the top of their neck which goes right on through their organs. Now keep in mind I'm in a tree stand and usually with a bait barrel.

They drop like a rock every time.

I have also used the slug from a 12ga and shoot the same spot.

hope this helps
g
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

What you can also do is head out to Darkwood Lodge (I think it is?--the one in Redfeather?) with the shooting range that has animal models. Stand on the platform, shoot the "bear." It'll tell you which organs you hit, so you should be able to experiment a little and find where they lie on the models.
Reggy
Scout

Post by Reggy »

TheSheWolf wrote:What you can also do is head out to Darkwood Lodge (I think it is?--the one in Redfeather?) with the shooting range that has animal models. Stand on the platform, shoot the "bear." It'll tell you which organs you hit, so you should be able to experiment a little and find where they lie on the models.
IIRC the bears are 'broken' and only show body shots regardless of shot placement.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Oh, fantastic :lol: Never mind, then!

Return to “General Chat”