TheHunter Call of The Wild VS TheHunter Classic 2

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Griph
Spotter

Re: TheHunter Call of The Wild VS TheHunter Classic 2

Post by Griph »

I’ve put in a fair bit of time in both games and I don’t see any graphics issues. The guns and equipment look a lot nicer in CoTW, but I actually prefer the scenery in Classic. It may lack some niceties, like rain glazed pavement, etc, but it compares pretty darned well, overall. And animal behavior is much better in Classic.
ehr_Icaar
Scout

Post by ehr_Icaar »

They already made the game that could have been THC2.0.
They don't need to make an exact copy of the old game with new graphics and such, just keep the style of gameplay very similar but in a new universe if they cannot update the old one.
Maps could be themed similar or somewhat copied etc but no exact copy is needed if it's to demanding.
Last edited by ehr_Icaar on September 17th, 2018, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ehr_Icaar
Scout

Post by ehr_Icaar »

Why talk about cost of buying an engine license?
They have their own engine and it's up to current date in tech, just look at Avalanche Studios other games.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

well if they did use the same engine what would be the point in Call of the wild ? you need to games to cover different bases.unless one is just here to take over from the other when it finishes.maybe call of the wild will keep going and develop into classic 2 or thats the idea.

the suggestion of using a different engine was to give a game a different look to call of the wild. that way you have two games to cover different player bases. obviously the licensing costs would could be a issue thats up to them to sort out if it ever happened. thats probably why call of the wild maybe will be adapted. all specualation i guess we will see in the future.
Choggram

Post by Choggram »

Well there was good example of game engine update - Eve Online in a year 2006 i think. There were two game clients for some time - old-classic and next-gen. But their playerbase was seriously bigger and much more profitable.

I don't beleive that EW will ever update THC. Just because all game stuff is already sold to players. And there is only way - create new THC 2.0 game with discount (or without) for existing players and kill THC.
Or just milk THC to death. Like... Anarchy Online by Funcom. :-)
I think about milking to death.

COTW - has it's own problem. Full of bugs, lack of content, long updates = decreasing playerbase because of it. Almost dead project as for me.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

ronMctube wrote:unless one is just here to take over from the other when it finishes.maybe call of the wild will keep going and develop into classic 2 or thats the idea.
This would be my guess. Right now CoTW is riding the "new release" wave & has drawn some players because it is new. At some point many will drift away to some new FPS or something. When that happens I could see CoTW becoming a Classic2.

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

COTW doesn't even make sense to me- If THC goes dark I'll find something else to do quite simply.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
MudBug
Outfitter

Post by MudBug »

I have been here since before theHunter was out. I did alpha/beta testing for Emote, starting in September of 2008 (10 years!). When the game went live, I was member #48 to purchase the game. I have had an uninterrupted membership since the beginning. I've paid for memberships for my 2 kids and all the extras they needed. We've spent many hours traipsing the woods, talking via teamspeak, and having a great time. I've loved just playing as "Dad the hunting guide" for more hours than I can count. Time and $$ well spent.

Sure there has been some disappointing times when bugs greatly impacted gameplay. However, if it wasn't for EW taking over the game and advancing it to the point we are at now we'd all out of some very fond gaming memories. Personally, I hope theHunter continues for the foreseeable future. There is absolutely no hunting game out there that comes close to it.

My main concerns regarding the current state of Classic have to do with the distinct lack of a trophy animal harvest for those with less time to play the game. I don't have as much time to devote to playing Classic as I used to. I still play a fair amount, just not as much as I did in years 1-6. :D I understand that trophy animals should be less prevalent, yet based on playing the game over the last 2-3 years, I find it harder and harder to get motivated to play with my limited time since I know that my odds are extremely low at even seeing trophy animals. I used to play the game as a way to actually unwind, while in the back of my mind knowing that I at least had a fair chance of finding something large enough to take a shot at. I've killed over fifty 200" WT since the beginning of the game, most pre-truRacks. Now it doesn't feel that way at all. I haven't seen a decent WT approaching 200" in 3 years (not including several 200+ NT). It gets frustrating seeing the same old 160", 130", 120", 110", 55" WT over and over again. We desired non-typicals, yet it ushered in the decline of the trophy typical. There also seems to be a competition bias, whereby entering a competition seems to automatically decrease trophy chances even further. I like to do competitions. It just doesn't seem to justify the effort anymore. 3-4 years ago, you could hop in a soon to end competition and feel like you had a decent chance to get lucky. Not anymore, for me at least.

Now on to COTW. What happened to the graphics engine? When the game first released as a veritable bug festival, you could still overlook some of the bugs thanks to the breathtaking scenery rendered by the new game engine. I played it for a bit, found the much lauded "A.I." to be laughable. With animals standing in herds as you picked them off one by one until the herd reduced to zero. That quickly put an end to any immersion the beautiful scenery provided for me. I stopped playing it after a few weeks. I picked up the game again about a 6 months later to see how it was progressing and found things to be slightly better in the bug department, but I quickly grew tired of the continuing lack of immersion due to the disappointing animal A.I..

Dinner's ready. I'll finish this in a bit.
Back:

Cue Africa for COTW. I saw the trailers. My interest was somewhat piqued, yet I was ***** that they passed putting it in Classic first. I understand the limitations of Classic, but was still peeved that COTW was getting an Africa map at all. I distinctly remember the "we'll never do a big game Africa map" spouted by the Devs. After I calmed down, I figured what the hell, it's supporting EW, I'll give it a go....

Well, whatever pretty graphics that were in the game at launch are nothing but crap quality now. Doesn't matter the map. I have a machine that can run COTW at 140fps in 1920x1080 and 70fps in 5760x1080 with all settings maxed. I feel like I'm playing the game on a PS2 console. Graphics have definitely been downgraded/gotten messed up from launch. Did they gimp it so lower end machines could play on low at the expense of higher end rigs? The game went from scenery that blew Classic away to scenery that makes Classic look like a Picasso painting. Total potato quality. And the "improved A.I.", don't even get me started. Watched several warthogs run in circles. Walked up to within 15m of them and shot them all with the bow. It was my European Bison/Elk experience all over again. I'm also not a fan of $$ for kill. It cheapens the experience for me. So, downgraded graphics, kill for $$ and terrible A.I. have once again soured me on COTW. Not impressed in the least bit, I could overlook some things when the scenery was magnificent, cannot even enjoy that anymore...
Giuh
Spotter

Post by Giuh »

People complaints about CotW in a nutshell:
Map with too many animals, this game is crap there are animals everywhere.
Map with few animals, this game is crap you don't see any animals.
You can take down an entire elk herd in 20 minutes (yet is so easy to take elk herds down in THC).
Game's got bugs! (been in development for like 8 years less than THC, yet this last one still offers many bugs).

Animal AI is equal or better than THC in many aspects, you shoot and animal and won't just fall dead to the side, it might kick and move on the ground while dying. You call a buck and it won't come roaming like not interested, depending on its state it might come trotting (like irl). And so on.

For real, people. Don't like the game, don't play it. They're DIFFERENT games, and each one needs from the other to keep being profitable and not discontinued.

I play and support both games. I'm prefer THC but won't negate CotW has lot of pros over the Classic.
Since 2012 sucking at theHunter :D
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Radamus wrote:COTW doesn't even make sense to me- If THC goes dark I'll find something else to do quite simply.
I would suggest giving it some time. The UI in Classic didnt make sense to me either at 1st when coming from CoTW. Now I prefer Classics UI but it is what it is. You get used to it.

I think you just need to treat it like a completely new game & not have any Classic expectations of it.

Return to “General Chat”