TheHunter Call of The Wild VS TheHunter Classic 2

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Re: TheHunter Call of The Wild VS TheHunter Classic 2

Post by J_Birdman »

DanthemanBoone wrote:A new version would have to be built and coded from scratch as the Devs have already stated that the current game can not simply be copy and pasted to a new engine.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought EW stated that CotW was built from the ground up with the then-new Apex engine made by Avalanche. If this was actually the case, why has CotW suffered several of the exact same bugs as tHC?
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Because the same dopey buggers that were coding theHunter went over and coded COTW.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Skybird
Hunter

Post by Skybird »

I have been away from Classic since quite a while, played it rarely in past two years.

However, I somehow stumbled over CotW some time ago, as a backup title on PS4 at a time when my old PC was starting to fall apart and a new system was to be formed up, which took some time: choices, choices...:)

I expected not too much, candy over complexity. Actually I found that I was wrong. The game is a blast, I think. I love it.

Why did they do it, the topic starter asks. I think two reasons.

First, they have this nice, beautiful, in-house built engine which is much younger than that of Classic. Classic came in 2009, CotW is less than two years old now. Guess which one looks so much better. They wanted to make use of this shiny new engine, wanted to show what it is and what it can. Also, this new engine allows them to do things that they probably could not do in the old engine (which they got provided when they took over fro t he original builders of Hunter Classic long time ago).

Second, console market. Classic with its old engine and conception probably was not possible to port to consoles easily, if at all. But consoles is where the money lies.

And finally, but this is just my personally guessing game, I cold imagine that CotW marks their unannounced, sneaky migration fro Classic to Classic 2, so to speak, or in other words: it is The Hunter 2, they just do not advertise it as such to provide a smooth, noiseless migration. From playing it on consoles, I must say the game has many advantages, it does quite some things better than Classic, yes it does. And this I say although the first hours I cursed about aiming a scoped rifle with those tiny gamepad sticks. In-game achievements however later allow players to tone the problems down.

If the latter scenario matches their calculation indeed, then I admit for me their little trick has worked. i have mostly migrated to the new game, and I feel fully embedded and welcomed in it's world like I once felt in Classic. I like the sometimes several times as huge animal herds I meet. That I get attacked much more by various animals and must think seriously about how to prevent that. That callers no longer automatically command animals into my crosshairs. The game is not perfect or flawless, but then Classic never was like that either.

Give it a try, if you have not, and be open minded and ready to invest some hours into it. You might find out that you like it much better than you now imagine you will. The game is very well receive don consoles, and that is not for no reason, i tell you. And this is although also on consoles one must consider it to be a niche title. But a huge majority of those console players knowing it, are positive about it.

And do not be taken out of this option by this talking abiut "realism" Classic is NOT a realistic simulator, and it never was. Its a game with simulation aspects, but many of these are working quite mechanical, repetitive. I find the animal behaviour in CotW being slightly more diverse while the fleeing behaviour indeed is a bit weird at times, they return too easily and run too much in cycles). Beyond this, its like with any sim-game: you get back from it what you put into it. Handle it like an action shooter, and do not be surprised if it feels like an action shooter. Mimic routines from real life, and get a more subtle, complex gaming experience in return.

I think Classic has its heydays behind it, its in the late autumn of its life cycle. Active player base seem to be in a slow but constant decline. If they stick with the hunting genre, sooner or later a shift for something new must be done. Whether the basis will be CotW, or a completely different, new platform, remains to be seen. All i can say is that four 8x8 km maps you get in the new one, are a work of beauty and immersion that clearly show what things are heading for.
hours: >960 / Hunter Score: >8400
Stopnaggin

Post by Stopnaggin »

I can tell you as a console player COTW is the reason I got Classic. Classic seems to be a far better game so far, and I've invested a lot of time in COTW. I wish they would use whatever Classic uses in COTW. All the animals look the same, no rack or size variation. In COTW the animals seem waxy, and tracking them is a pain because they run in circles. There is much more functionality in Classic as well, on console you cant use the menu to view previous harvests, only the last 20 and only the stats. It has a scroll bar there but it doesn't work. Don't even get me started on using the 4 wheeler on there, just wow. Its a good game, don't get me wrong, adding it on console was probably a good thing from a monetary stand point. But as a console player that's all we have, as Classic isn't available for us. To be honest I would never have even heard of this series without COTW. I will probably build me another computer to play this, and sub. I'm sure I'm not the only convert either.
Skybird
Hunter

Post by Skybird »

The ATV is only to be used when exploring the map and unlocking the lookout points and cabins, or when doing a mission. Once you have done that and revealed all points of interests (usually highstands that you can build, and XP-collecting story points), the ATv is not useful anymore. As long as you do not want an action game.

Animal tracks in Classic mostly seem to be in a straight line, which makes it repetitive. You may find it easier to track and find and shoot and harvest the animal. But is that realistic? I find it more difficult to track and find animals in CotW, also because mostly the animals move faster, apparently, forcing you to move at higher sound cost as well.

The last herd of red deer I ran into (and got almost plowed under by...) had estimated 25-30 animals, two males I spotted, the rest females of two sizes at least, and another category of smaller animals which either were very small females, or calves. Anyhow, whether their fur was all the same or not, I cannot tell - I had no time to pay attention to such things. :) The animations are more natural, pace varies more, the animal behaviour looks far more convincing to me.

I LOVE it that callers do not work as robot-like as in classics. Mostly when i use callers, the animals do not react to it. Makes hunting more difficult, just laying in ambush and waiting to snipe can be done, but is another gameplay now.

Actually I now can identify not just by visual markers on the map but by animal behaviour that they have eating, drinking and resting areas. That they come out to the lake in early morning hours or evening hours to drink. That they rest. n classics I never was able to reliably identifiy in their behaviour that they followed such attractors for sure. Could as well have been me reading something into the situation that was not real.

The statiscal gameplay and scoring stuff I do not care for at all, I never was interested in that part of Classic. I played for the immersion of gameplay, the experience of taking part in the game's world. Thats why all this trophy posing and point scoring and such means nothing to me.

I was attacked multiple times in CotW by now, and killed four times. In Classic, that happened exactly four times as well: in 800 hours of gameplay. CotW so far I have played less than fifty hours. In general I find hunting more difficult in CotW. Which is good. More attempts in going after an animal i tracked or heard calling, fail. Also that is good, sicne more relaistic. The massacres players commit in a Classic session has nothing to do with realism, me thinks. :D

Anyhow, its just my two cents, its different strokes for different folks. I'm out again.
hours: >960 / Hunter Score: >8400
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Stopnaggin wrote:In COTW the animals seem waxy, and tracking them is a pain because they run in circles.
As a Classic player I thought tracking might also be essential in CotW and found it completely useless and needless at the same time. In the meantime they have figured out an exploit to determine an animal's exact weight and hope for a high score by using the map information, but the average player will barely track a lot except when trying to find a wounded animal.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I have to say I completely agree with Skybirds assessment of CoTW.

As a real hunter IRL some of the aspects of classic that irritate me are not present in CoTW. Animals do not wander about aimlessly as they do in Classic. They will when they are feeding but that is in localized areas. When they are moving they are usually going from one location to another. Any hunter will tell you to look for the game trails to have good success while hunting. In Classic the animals really do just wander about aimlessly; CoTW OTOH the animals are semi predictable just like IRL. Identify an animals need zones & check the times they are active. Position yourself between 2 need zones & SHAZAM you will find the animals moving between them at the given times just like IRL.
I also like how the callers only sometimes work. if I had a nickel for every time I called in a coyote & he decides he something isnt right & run off. Or a deer that is headed my way & then decided he aint feeling it; well I would have a helluvabunch of nickels! CoTW works the same way. Just last night I was calling a Jackal & he was trotting towards me & then stopped about 70yds away. He looked around for awhile then started trotting away. While aggravating because I wanted the bow kill & had to settle for a rifle one instead I was also gratified because I had seen that same sort of animal reaction IRL. That wouldnt have happened in Classic! A coyote comes in like hes on rails until you shoot him or he spooks.

I agree the ATVs utility only lasts until you have explored the map. I however LIKE to use it. If I decide I am going to move to another part of the map instead of fast traveling I will drive the ATV to within 300yds of where I want to hunt & stalk in. That is exactly the kind of hunting I do on my own farm so its enjoyable to replicate it in a game.

Now all of this might sound like I am a CoTW fanboy but I want to assure you that isnt the case. While I undoubtedly LIKE CoTW, Classic does have several things I like more & thats whats keeping me coming back.

Here is a rough list in no particular order of things that Classic has & CoTW doesnt. If CoTW were to get them I cant guarantee I would continue to play Classic. At least not nearly as often.

Hunt history/Statistics
TruRacks
Trophy Shots
User placeable treestands, tripods & towers
Trophy Lodge

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

SoftShoe wrote:Now all of this might sound like I am a CoTW fanboy...
It doesn't, actually. :)
SoftShoe wrote:Here is a rough list in no particular order of things that Classic has & CoTW doesnt. If CoTW were to get them I cant guarantee I would continue to play Classic. At least not nearly as often.
Hunt history/Statistics
TruRacks
Trophy Shots
User placeable treestands, tripods & towers
Trophy Lodge
Dogs
Waterfowling
Spoiler:
Giuh
Spotter

Post by Giuh »

Apparently ducks are coming soon. And dogs are not a must have imo so idc.

Though until CotW includes TruRACS and an advanced scoring system I won't prefer it over THC (i like it tho)
Since 2012 sucking at theHunter :D
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Giuh wrote:Apparently ducks are coming soon. And dogs are not a must have imo so idc.
Have they announced ducks? I forgot they have geese but these had so many issues I don't remember if I even shot one. How's that going these days?
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”