TheHunter Call of The Wild VS TheHunter Classic 2

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: TheHunter Call of The Wild VS TheHunter Classic 2

Post by Tanngnjostr »

VonStratos wrote:Lets say tomorrow some new online hunting sim from another company show up, with the same style and functionalities than The Hunter but in a engine actualized to nowadays, new players and future players would jump there just for the eye candy, even old The hunter players would at least check it out, and that competition would make a dramatic impact on EW and the future of "classic" and any possible The Hunter 2 development.
Ask yourself why it hasn't happened yet, in all those years that th:C was on the market with its "special" business model. My guess: because getting into this market doesn't really offer the income possibilities that many of us think.

There were a few attempts at creating new hunting games (does anyone remember "Hunting Simulator"? It's just been a year: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=80072), but those games rather seemed to prove that it's not easy to get a hunting game "right", so that it covers enough realism and still is a business success.

Imagine we could put some of our money together and try to port the game to a new engine as a community effort? How much would all of you be willing to invest? Mind you, we're talking about money that could be completely lost if the project fails. Five hundred from me, so if David's estimation is correct, we only need another 5,999,500 bucks now! :lol:
Image Image Image
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

Im in, 500 from me.

5,999,000 bucks left.
Now offline. Forever.
skogseide
Scout

Post by skogseide »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
VonStratos wrote:Lets say tomorrow some new online hunting sim from another company show up, with the same style and functionalities than The Hunter but in a engine actualized to nowadays, new players and future players would jump there just for the eye candy, even old The hunter players would at least check it out, and that competition would make a dramatic impact on EW and the future of "classic" and any possible The Hunter 2 development.
Ask yourself why it hasn't happened yet, in all those years that th:C was on the market with its "special" business model. My guess: because getting into this market doesn't really offer the income possibilities that many of us think.

There were a few attempts at creating new hunting games (does anyone remember "Hunting Simulator"? It's just been a year: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=80072), but those games rather seemed to prove that it's not easy to get a hunting game "right", so that it covers enough realism and still is a business success.

Imagine we could put some of our money together and try to port the game to a new engine as a community effort? How much would all of you be willing to invest? Mind you, we're talking about money that could be completely lost if the project fails. Five hundred from me, so if David's estimation is correct, we only need another 5,999,500 bucks now! :lol:
Oh trust me, several new hunting games will come! And it's just a matter of time before the competition gets real between hunting games.

I just can't see how this game is ever going to survive for another 10 years unless it gets a new engine, even though it has to be done from scratch. However, I'm not sure it needs to be so complicated all together, after all, the codes for the gameplay excist in this game already, it's coding for the graphic that needs to be overhauled/written all over into a new game.

TheHunter Classic needs to excist alongside the new game, at least for year and maybe more. While the new game slowly gets what this game already has.

New questions though.. do we have any other games like this? With micro transactions, that wasn't portable? That eventually got new life in a new game? Or is it just impossible no matter what?

and I would pay 500 too if it was needed. So, 5,998,500 bucks to go!
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

theHunter classic didnt make any profit from what was said for 5 years.when bankrupt once had to be took over again.now....would you risk 5 years of no money again ?.imagine taking that to i need money to make this game.you would need to come up with figures to make it work.

if you look at it like this.avalanche is the main people behind this product.they are massive.is it worth it to them to make a newer version of it ?

with the risk this game has took and as said many years to get here is there a market for the 2nd game.classic is at probably its lowest playerbase wise its been for many a year. then you would have to invest millions probably to get the game upto what people would expect for theHunter 2. unless its on apex or unreal 4 engine on a skeleton screw of recruits.then factor in many here and are a big amount of the actual player base are on ancient pcs.could they even run it ?

so millions of dollars/pounds to make.many of the current small player base probably struggle to play it so who would buy into it ? it would be amazing to have this game on a modern engine. fresh start and keep everyone playing and get new players joining. that is a dream.can you make the dream come true ? that is the true question.

how i would personally do this if it was to happen is totally change how it is now.that would probably scare the dragons den approach :D

i would make the game ftp.like fortnite.cross platform.all weapons equipment free.you would need to charge something though somewhere to make the money but just like fortnite you would get people playing in big numbers and please lots of players who already play. the cross platform approach could really open up the game.you can see call of the wild is already popular on consoles so if the console people could play theHunter 2 with pc players it opens up lots of possibilities.

apex obviously works well on pc and console. so im sure this approach would work well. one of the hold backs for many players is the cost of the game.i think done right this could remove that but still make the same or more money and increase the player base at the same time. you obviously cant do it with the current platform.it would have to be totally new.

i really do hope theHunter 2 happens. i believe it would work.its just whether the money people think it will work.i hope so.would love to play a newer version of this game for another ten years. ;)
Hifisch
Scout

Post by Hifisch »

ronMctube wrote:i really do hope theHunter 2 happens. i believe it would work.its just whether the money people think it will work.i hope so.would love to play a newer version of this game for another ten years. ;)
Could be my words. I'm in. Classic is by far my favorite game since I started playing in 2012. But I couldn't stand the expiry of the current engine and a decreasing community for the same amount of time again.
skogseide
Scout

Post by skogseide »

ronMctube wrote:theHunter classic didnt make any profit from what was said for 5 years.when bankrupt once had to be took over again.now....would you risk 5 years of no money again ?.imagine taking that to i need money to make this game.you would need to come up with figures to make it work.

if you look at it like this.avalanche is the main people behind this product.they are massive.is it worth it to them to make a newer version of it ?

with the risk this game has took and as said many years to get here is there a market for the 2nd game.classic is at probably its lowest playerbase wise its been for many a year. then you would have to invest millions probably to get the game upto what people would expect for theHunter 2. unless its on apex or unreal 4 engine on a skeleton screw of recruits.then factor in many here and are a big amount of the actual player base are on ancient pcs.could they even run it ?

so millions of dollars/pounds to make.many of the current small player base probably struggle to play it so who would buy into it ? it would be amazing to have this game on a modern engine. fresh start and keep everyone playing and get new players joining. that is a dream.can you make the dream come true ? that is the true question.

how i would personally do this if it was to happen is totally change how it is now.that would probably scare the dragons den approach :D

i would make the game ftp.like fortnite.cross platform.all weapons equipment free.you would need to charge something though somewhere to make the money but just like fortnite you would get people playing in big numbers and please lots of players who already play. the cross platform approach could really open up the game.you can see call of the wild is already popular on consoles so if the console people could play theHunter 2 with pc players it opens up lots of possibilities.

apex obviously works well on pc and console. so im sure this approach would work well. one of the hold backs for many players is the cost of the game.i think done right this could remove that but still make the same or more money and increase the player base at the same time. you obviously cant do it with the current platform.it would have to be totally new.

i really do hope theHunter 2 happens. i believe it would work.its just whether the money people think it will work.i hope so.would love to play a newer version of this game for another ten years. ;)
I really like what you are saying ronMctube!

It may have to be something new for it to work, I just really really want this game to live on for many many years, but I think it has to be upgraded one way or the other to survive.

I'm all in for waking up the dragons den, as long as the devs can make this happen! :D

Lets say a random number of players the game will loose due to poor computers; 10000. Half of those will most like upgrade and come back sooner or later. The rest will be replaced by new players due to the upgraded game.

Maybe I want this so much that I can't accept the fact of how difficult it would be. However, I'm a believer, and I believe we can have theHunter 2! :) and I rather see it now before players starts leaving due to outdated graphics or leave to play other new hunting games.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

skogseide wrote:I have to dissagree. Sorry to see you feel this game doesn't have a future. What you're saying is that its too expencive to upgrade to a better engine, so we might as well stop playing and paying all together now cause the game will eventually die.
I didn't say the game doesn't have a future, and I certainly didn't say we might as well stop playing and paying because the game will eventually die. Do that, and the game absolutely will die, fast. I'm simply offering some perspective and trying to bring some reality to the discussion. A lot of players over the years just haven't been able to fathom why Expansive Worlds has chosen not to upgrade the engine. The answer is nothing more than money. Almost everything is technically possible if you want to do it and have the money to make it happen.
skogseide wrote:Oh trust me, several new hunting games will come! And it's just a matter of time before the competition gets real between hunting games.
Several new hunting games have come. They all sucked. Call of the Wild is the only one that has come close to being a contender, and although it's a fantastic accomplishment, it just doesn't come close to matching the depth and soul of Classic. At least one person on the forum has claimed that a competitor will come along one day and that Classic will be in trouble. Almost every year since 2009. I stopped worrying about it years ago, and I suspect Expansive Worlds did too.
skogseide wrote:Maybe I want this so much that I can't accept the fact of how difficult it would be.
It's great that you want it that much. I do too. I think we can agree that we all want the same thing around here. We just have to be realistic about what it would take to get us there. Trust me, if Expansive Worlds could have done this in a way that was profitable, it would have happened already. The fact is, anyone contemplating such a move absolutely must accept significant losses that won't be recovered for a long time, maybe ever. I have faith that at some point someone will make the commitment, and for that reason I very much see Classic being around, in some form or other, for a long time. Until then, we should continue to enjoy what we have.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

skogseide wrote: I just can't see how this game is ever going to survive for another 10 years unless it gets a new engine, even though it has to be done from scratch. However, I'm not sure it needs to be so complicated all together, after all, the codes for the gameplay excist in this game already, it's coding for the graphic that needs to be overhauled/written all over into a new game.

Let's all hope that if this game is re-done with a new engine, that it's done from scratch. I wouldn't use any of the codes from the current game play. None. EW just doesn't have the man power to fix everything it breaks every time it releases something new. They have to use the man power to keep rolling out content so the cash register continues to ding. I would want the "new engine" version to be tested and tested and tested, and then tested some more, before things are released. I would want a lot of the testing to be done by actual players, and not on a beta server. If that were the case now, surely a player would have reported there were no ropes at VDB, and the new spotting scope doesn't spot anything out to the new render. Others would have reported that the feeders were broken, and refilling system was broken. These are things that players find. If EW found them on the beta, and released the ERR anyway, I'd be disappointed.

TheHunter Classic needs to exist alongside the new game, at least for year and maybe more. While the new game slowly gets what this game already has.
This part of your post, I agree.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

caledonianblues wrote:
skogseide wrote:Maybe I want this so much that I can't accept the fact of how difficult it would be.
It's great that you want it that much. I do too. I think we can agree that we all want the same thing around here. We just have to be realistic about what it would take to get us there. Trust me, if Expansive Worlds could have done this in a way that was profitable, it would have happened already. The fact is, anyone contemplating such a move absolutely must accept significant losses that won't be recovered for a long time, maybe ever. I have faith that at some point someone will make the commitment, and for that reason I very much see Classic being around, in some form or other, for a long time. Until then, we should continue to enjoy what we have.

But, making that commitment becomes harder every month. Wich each new animal, weapon, reserve ect. you have more things that have to be moved to a new engine. I admit, I know nothing about programming but I assume it is harder to move a lot of content to a new engine than to move a little content.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Can the game last another 10 years just like it is actually? probably yes, because there well be people that look for more than graphics to join, in fact we got new members in the forum at almost daily basis and they are a fraction of the new members that come to the game, and the graphics are old, and hunters or simmers value the experience as much as the visual if not more, and that's where The Hunter runs alone, let me say an example, i like simulators of things that i don't rally have the chance to do in real life, like a submarine simulator where you need learn to use properly sonar, MAD, ecm and such, i am referring to a very old simulator called Sub Command, that sim is from like 1999-2001 and their community is still kicking.

So i believe this can survive, but that is not the same as say it will be always so healthy as is now. Its hard to say where a online game can go when is in a niche so specific like hunting, its a high risk in money terms, a bet, we can hope of a new The Hunter, or engine, but if never comes well, at least we have the actual and is an old game to nowadays standards, but that doesn't make it a bad game... i mean we are still here hunting and enjoying it right?

By the way, i know graphics are looking old, but what i hope most from a new engine is not graphic, but the capacity of my avatar of cross waters deeper than half a meter or not die in waters ponds of 2 meters deep or not being able to walk over a little rock that a small kid could walk over... that's are the limitations than make me wish for a new engine more than any new graphics imho.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “General Chat”