Settler Creeks - Your Experience?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Settler Creeks - Your Experience?

Post by TheSheWolf »

So! I'm looking to do a little more hunting on the reserve I've always basically ignored. While rifle-hunting and without a scenthound the thick brush was always a put-off, and as a newbie I was getting mauled by bear and hog too often to like it :lol: Now that I've been hunting small setups on RFF and Whitehart I figured I'd try to round it off with a tent and a stand, tower or both on Settler. I really like the general feel of the place, the Eastern American (home) atmosphere with all those all-American animals. (I live in Europe, and I love it here, but sometimes i miss home!) After getting a 194 WT here last week I'm hyped to give it some more gametime.

I'm looking at maybe the farms in the north, and the mountains all around there. I like Whitetail, and elk, I will also take bear and hog, but do not care about turkey and bobcat. I primarily bow-hunt and am looking for tower/stand locations as well.

So, with that in mind--what experience do people have with different animals here?

- Where do you find different animals here?
- Any Whitetail hotspots on SC?
- Are the farms any good for WT? I really like the looks of them and would love to put a tower here, but no idea if they're worth it.
- What about elk and hog? Can they be gotten in the north?
- Anything else?

Thanks for any feedback! It's always good to have more info when planning and testing :)
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: Settler Creeks - Your Experience?

Post by DYEUZ »

Strictly speaking from my own experiences in SC , here is some observations .
I also, did not like hunting / tracking there because of all the bushes and rocks , but i managed to work this reserve a bit differently than the others and have a bit more success and enjoy it more also .

- The two red circles are where i find the most WT / Elk .Coming in mostly from the mountain .
- The two blue circles are well known areas for Elks and WT also . I do not visit them often though .
- The yellow part is also well known for Elk / WT .
I don't really care about hunting Hogs there , so not talking about that .
- Two good spots with Turkey decoys .
- The orange flag is my spot for Bobcat .

I don't have much yet , but it satisfies me .

;)

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

I'll have a look around those locations, thanks man!
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

NW and SE parts are good for hogs. SE is probably better, IMO.
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

The areas at the yellow line and the red circles from DYEUZ are good for wt and elk.
I would also check the southest part of sc. Got a tent at the south there, and there are always wt while walking to my southest tower at a hill. Got them at both sides of the river.
Spoiler:
Here you can see the position of the tent and tower
https://www.uhcapps.co.uk/myreserve/?co ... KCLCLOOKKH
Now offline. Forever.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Imho Settlers looks good, but have a serious drawback, and is that every animal (but rabbit maybe) can be more easily found int other reserves, by example Elk have a whole area north east in RFF for them alone + White Hart, White Tails have their area in the south island of WH too, bears can be easy to spot in RFF and in longer distances at the north west, the turky, well middle of WH is plenty, and hogs...well everywhere. Settlers need something that made the reserve unique, maybe a new species.

That said its a beautiful reserve, i found Bears in the south east fields, rabbits out of the southern lodges, whites in the middle east and center, and elks at north of north lodge,then make the route to north east and from there to the southern lodge always in the east side, that's how has worked for my but i haunt made a hunt in that reserve since a couple of seasons, for the reasons i stated before.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I dont hunt Settlers much either. I think I just kinda overlook it. It does have some nice areas to hunt & I have gotten several nice whitetail out of the hills in the North East part of the map. Hogs are plentiful around the farms though I have never gotten a big one. More of my own bad luck then a lack of them I would think. Honestly I have never hunted the southern part of the map. I need to check it out soon.

Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Use this link to help, scroll to the bottom of the page where it shows the map and animal locations.
http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Settler_Creeks
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Ravenousfox wrote:Use this link to help, scroll to the bottom of the page where it shows the map and animal locations.
http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Settler_Creeks
Thanks, though I have looked at that; it's general spawn locations. I'm looking for something a little more specific and for people who've maybe set up WT tents/stands here but it looks like this is a fairly forgotten reserve :( Appreciated regardless.

The other responses--ty guys too. I'm trying to look into various spots but the WT just don't seem very prevalent on this map. It's more realistic, I guess, but very boring compared to popping to a tent+stand on Whitehart and taking down 30 WT.
kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

TheSheWolf wrote:
I would advise you to check out the east part of the map. I don’t usually hunt Settler Creeks, but when i do i always walk the road that goes from the northeast area and down to southeast. Just start at the Highland Lodge and walk northeast to the road, and when you get there follow the river or road down southeast.

I usually get a good amount of Whitetail and Elk, sometimes you will see a couple of bears too :)

Return to “General Chat”