Dead Elk as bait?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
BuckWill
Spotter

Dead Elk as bait?

Post by BuckWill »

Has anyone found an elk with wolves near the carcass? I mean can it be used as bait or is it just something to attract the crows? I have never even seen elk tracks right next to them,but I have had a bobcat pounce on a whitetail under my tree stand. that only happened the one time.I think it would help with the immersion.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Dead Elk as bait?

Post by VonStratos »

I have found them in carcasses, so i think yes wolves are attracted, but i would not keep awaiting near one, it seem more simple roam around and hear the howls to find them.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Tenbulls
Hunter

Post by Tenbulls »

I had a grizzly come down to a carcass. Not sure if it was just a coincidence or what..
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

There's always a carcass where the crows are and the carcasses will attract wolves that are in the area. As far as I know, carcasses don't attract other animals. Also, the dead body of an elk (or any other animal) that was shot by a hunter doesn't attract animals either.

Understand the carcasses as pre-spawned bait sites for wolves, and the crows as hints that a carcass is in the area. There are predefined spots where the carcasses do spawn, though not each of those spots will have a carcass in every hunt.
Image Image Image
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

You can find a map made by RogerYar with carcass known areas in this thread :

https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... ap#p856041
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

When getting close to a dead Elk carcass area,.. look around it carefully and you may see a Wolf or two.
Although not at all the carcass area's you visit will there be Wolves as they do like to travel. The key is the Howling they do to get into hunting them.
The perfect scenario is when you put up a TS near an area that is active at the time and there are 2 or 3 Wolf packs
close enough howling where you can call them to you and take them out 1 by 1 with a silent bow, and even if they spook
they won't run far, just keep calling until they come back and you can arrow a lot of Wolves this way.

Unfortunately,.. Wolves that don't die right away will run a ways then die when arrow hit,... Keep track of those ones
and don't go too long without retrieving them, ...
I usually have a few dead at my feet, but some do run and I let up to 3 or 4 that ran then go get them.
This depends on how well you can track to leave higher numbers to run away or lower numbers to run away within a limited time frame you are comfortable with.
A chest shot is good advice to get a good hit to drop them but it always doesn't work out that way, even when shooting straight down at them.
Best of luck!
SoldierofGod
Tracker

Post by SoldierofGod »

I almost always see wolves somewhere nearby carcasses. I am pretty sure they are wolf spawn points.Yes they do attract wolves, because I have seen them eating elk carcasses before. But because of how much they like to roam around and chase elk, I wouldnt recommend waiting for one at a carcass to eat. Unless you have a caller and you are using it near a carcass.

Return to “General Chat”