Hunting geese -which shotgun is best?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: Hunting geese -which shotgun is best?

Post by SoftShoe »

I would say the 10ga is the easy pick for a single gun. When I hunt geese I take 2 12ga. The SxS & OU. I fire 2 shots then switch to the 2nd gun before the reload animation kicks in. I can get 4 shots off in a flash with good range & hitting power. Just make sure you reload both guns before the next flock comes in! I cant tell you how many times I tried to shoulder an empty gun because I forgot.

MaxVe
Scout

Post by MaxVe »

With a bow and the .17 you're fine, you do not need anything else, i harvest and confirm only those that make sense for the comps ranking while the others do not lose even the time to collect them since after the great changes regarding the HS do not give me anything but the increase in the skill of the weapon that i use if it is not at its best and this does not require the confirmation of the prey at the end often i leave a few dozen on the ground each game...
Wetrocky45
Spotter

Post by Wetrocky45 »

12 ga pump is the way to go

i5 6500 | GTX 1060 3GB mini | 8GB DDR4 |Nothing special
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

MaxVe wrote:With a bow and the .17 you're fine, you do not need anything else,
I like it!!! :!:
Spoiler:
BuckWill
Spotter

Post by BuckWill »

If you want pure numbers get the 12 gauge pump or 10 ga lever action. I love to use the o/u for close work and quick swap to the 10 ga or 17 hmr and get some at longer range. The 20 ga is great for ducks and clay shooting but I’d stay away for the Canadians. Not sure if the magpies are as tough but I doubt it. Also don’t get antsy and shoot too soon, just like irl they are farther than you think.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

caledonianblues wrote:Until the 10 GA lever action was released, the 12 GA pump would have been my recommendation. Now I would recommend the 10 GA without question. Even without a scope, I think it's the best shotgun in the game. Plus, like Jimbo said, it has much better range than any other shotgun in the game.
Absolutely agree, although you will need to practice a bit since it has no scope and you can't really see birds flying under the barrel of the gun.
muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

the best shotgun is with free ammo so the gm$ moved in your pocked
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

muledeer wrote:the best shotgun is with free ammo so the gm$ moved in your pocked
I completely agree with your reasoning, but eventually, you are going to have so much gm that it does not even matter which ammunition you use.
Say you buy a pack of 30, 68 gm, even if you only get 10 gm a harvest you will still make profit if you hit more then 7 of your shots.
TannerRivers
Tracker

Post by TannerRivers »

12 GA pump action
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Geese are heavy and probably the toughest of small game to kill. I would also recommend the 10 GA. Their only downside is the slow and elaborate loading animation.

For ducks I don't see much of a difference and would probably suggest all shotguns with a magazine.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”