Hunting geese -which shotgun is best?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Herzbube

Hunting geese -which shotgun is best?

Post by Herzbube »

I want to get into goose hunting but I don't know which shotgun I should get. For example the 20GA semi-automatic does not have a scope and a small magazine of only 3 shots. But it fires really fast. Meanwhile the 12GA pump-action has a nice scope and a big magazine but it fires rather slowly due to the pump animation.

So which shotgun would you recommend? There are so many I'm a bit overwhelmed...
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Hunting geese -which shotgun is best?

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Moved to "General chat" since it's a gameplay question, not a technical issue.

I wouldn't recommend the 20GA for geese - it's too weak in my opinion. With one of the 12GA O/U shotguns (or the Side-by-Sides) you'll have two quick shots in succession, but reloading after those two shots takes a while and the birds are usually out of range once reloading is done. For me, the Pump Action is fast enough to get 4 or more geese from a single flock sometimes, but of course it depends a bit on luck and having the right timing and aim. The 10GA Lever Action is a nice weapon too, but my go-to shotgun for geese would really be the 12GA Pump Action.
Image Image Image
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Just to add a little to what Tanngnjostr already said The 12G pump action is overall the best shotgun for geese or ducks the 10G lever action it also good.
I find that the 10G makes it easier to get multiple geese with one shot. And if you really want to challenge yourself also take the .22 or 17hmr for some good fun
Spoiler:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

I agree with the .12 GA pump shotgun . I use it for Geese , ducks, Turkeys .
The .20 GA , i use it surprisingly very successfully , with the Ptarmigan species and do not do that good , with species mentioned above .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

For me the Blaser F3 is far the best, 2 fast shots, fast reload and a good sight, i can get the 4 ducks sometimes, my weapon of choice for any bird. The 12ga pump is second and more all-around, but currently it have is pump sound bugged so its uncomfortable to keep the shots coming out fast, still so, well used you can get over 4 ducks or geese with that.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Easiest is the 12 gauge pump action with red dot scope.
I prefer the 10 gauge these days for the magazine and the range.
Code: Select all
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

10 ga. Lever Action is the best shotgun in the store. Quicker follow ups than the 12 ga. pump, but longer for a full reload. 6 shot magazine is usually plenty. Longer range with a good spread. No scope required and excellent sights. A beast.
RickC
Outfitter

Post by RickC »

JimboCrow wrote:10 ga. Lever Action is the best shotgun in the store. Quicker follow ups than the 12 ga. pump, but longer for a full reload. 6 shot magazine is usually plenty. Longer range with a good spread. No scope required and excellent sights. A beast.
I agree.

Unless like me, you have tired OLD eyes and cannot hit crap without the red dot scope, which ONLY works on the 12 ga pump. Scope aside, the 10 ga is best over all, especially for ducks and geese.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

as with any weapon item in the game it comes down to personal prefference. mine for literally all shotgun use is the 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun . great sight for it. amount of shells.the best all round shotgun available.the semi 3 shell ones are in flocks not ideal as often after the 3 shots fired if you missed and some left the birds will be gone.you could have 2 shotguns and quickly swap.what some do.to combat the 3 vs 6 shells.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Until the 10 GA lever action was released, the 12 GA pump would have been my recommendation. Now I would recommend the 10 GA without question. Even without a scope, I think it's the best shotgun in the game. Plus, like Jimbo said, it has much better range than any other shotgun in the game.

Return to “General Chat”