.17 HMR hv ammo is too OP

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: .17 HMR hv ammo is too OP

Post by gas56 »

SoftShoe wrote:I quoted the salient point I wanted to address. I understand your reasoning on the rest of your post & dont disagree with it but I see it as an etiquette thing in only quoting the part of someones post you want to discuss. Quoting someones entire post makes other readers reread a post to find the corollary plus it bloats the boards IMO. I wasnt discounting what you were saying by not quoting it is what I am trying to say.
Don't worry about space,.. there's plenty. And I don't usually repost the whole post of someone else either, so I do like to keep it short also.
It isn't always just the obvious things that need to be fixed in the game.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

What the hell does it matter if the 17 hmr hv doesn't give 100 % trophy integrity on a rabbit. Trophy rabbit hunting must be a Scandinavian pastime that is yet to catch on in the rest of the world.
But then isn't the game about choosing the right weapon for the right game at the right range to achieve 100% T.I.
Even the 12g shotgun cannot achieve 100% T.I. on a rabbit at close range. But the .22 and .22 air rifle can.
Putting the coyote on the permitted list was where they went wrong and trying to crank up the power to cope with it was the biggest mistake.
There's a huge difference between a rabbit and a coyote and expecting a 17 gr projectile to be a reasonable choice for coyote is really a bridge too far.
We didnt need an Hv round. A small power tweak to give slightly better results versus Bobcat and Fox coupled with a slight reduction in those animals health ratings would have sufficed.
It just goes to show that building a hunting game while not being an experienced hunter or familiar with firearms can lead to unreasonable outcomes.

As far as whether it matters that this hot round will kill Water buffalo. What will happen is that all the cowboys will want to kill Water buffs and any other unpermitted animal just because they can. Someone out there is going to want to kill every animal in the game with this gun ****-ant gun. That in effect destroys any integrity the game ever had.

Im going back to Primal. At least I know that is meant to be a Fantasy.
Last edited by DanthemanBoone on May 14th, 2018, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

DanthemanBoone wrote:What the hell does it matter if the 17 hmr hv doesn't give 100 % trophy integrity on a rabbit.
Just my thoughts...
There could be a comp/mission released down the road requiring 100% harvest value with that rifle on Rabbit.
Since the devs don't see everything the community posts and miss some things discussed it could happen.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Ravenousfox wrote:
DanthemanBoone wrote:What the hell does it matter if the 17 hmr hv doesn't give 100 % trophy integrity on a rabbit.
Just my thoughts...
There could be a comp/mission released down the road requiring 100% harvest value with that rifle on Rabbit.
Since the devs don't see everything the community posts and miss some things discussed it could happen.
LOL.
Seems you have even less faith in the current dev team Than me.
They already know the HV round won't achieve 100% T.I. on rabbits and have stated the reasons via T.K.'s explanation.

(Re: .17 HMR HV confusion
Postby TreeKiwi » Tue May 08, 2018 11:36 pm
In case you have missed it. Ideally we would have loved to put it all under the one ammo. However we could not get the Trophy integrity to register 100% on the rabbits and birds when the ammo was pumped up for the foxes etc. So this way the Trophy integrity is saved across all the species. I hope this helps clarify the confusion.)

So obviously the original round would still work.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:
Ravenousfox wrote:
Just my thoughts...
LOL.
Seems you have even less faith in the current dev team Than me.
They already know the HV round won't achieve 100% T.I. on rabbits and have stated the reasons via T.K.'s explanation.

(Re: .17 HMR HV confusion
Postby TreeKiwi » Tue May 08, 2018 11:36 pm
In case you have missed it. Ideally we would have loved to put it all under the one ammo. However we could not get the Trophy integrity to register 100% on the rabbits and birds when the ammo was pumped up for the foxes etc. So this way the Trophy integrity is saved across all the species. I hope this helps clarify the confusion.)

So obviously the original round would still work.
I am sure it was a typo but the .17HMR HV is not ethical for rabbits.
https://www.thehunter.com/#store/item/862

The .17 HMR is and it is possible to get 100% harvest value and trophy integrity with it.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/ridg ... /604473694
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

That is what this is all about,.. 2 ammo's that should be capable of doing what it was intended to do the same job.
They couldn't fix it so they added an HV end tag on a new bullet, which most .17 cal bullets are supposed to be HV already, but they made 2 separate allowable lists on them.
What really had got under my skin is I had gotten a .17 HMR rifle because the allow list was first rolled out to take rabbits and fox, but the first standard bullet did not have the umphhh
in it to take out foxes unless they were at really close range for 100% Harvest Value, the same way you shoot them with a bow to get consistent kills, this turned out to be just as slow waiting for a
fox to get within a really close range and was very bad at anything greater than that. Like DTMB says,... I agree with him the way they shouldn't have made it.
They didn't fix it. The end result is sure you can get 100% HV with the 17 HV(high Velocity,... maybe it really stands for Harvest Value.. :roll: ) but it is the
reflux of the way it works was a flop. It should have been done right. So what next rifle will be done to work improperly because they don't want to take the time to make it
work the way it should? Or anything that may arise. Why use a proper clamp when you can duct tape rig something and surpass it as efficient?
This just doesn't make sense. This game should be reliable and stable and it hasn't seen those days for a couple of years now.

This Harvest Value was never a really good Idea in the 1st place,.. although It is continuously used for comps and missions in this game.
As long as you get the animal IRL is all that matters, so if you shot a World Record WT Buck 5 times what would that matter at all?, As long as it's not blown up to pieces with
a Abrams Tank you can still harvest it. And I thought this game was supposed to be realistically close?..... I guess only in their eyes!
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Never underestimate the power of duct tape. :lol:
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

RidgeBack69 wrote:Never underestimate the power of duct tape. :lol:
Lol
I don't.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

It is the Handyman's secret weapon. :lol: :lol: Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

The main issue with all this shows up when you're trying to get shots on foxes, bobcats and coyotes with the .223 and it shows to be absolutely less powerful than the .17 HV round. It just gets a bit... Hollow...

Return to “General Chat”