.17 HMR HV confusion

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: .17 HMR HV confusion

Post by gas56 »

Theocrates wrote:So I was on WRR earlier today and shot an Arctic Fox withe HV and dropped it solid, very nice. I then spotted a male Snowshoe Hare which I shot and got the Unpermitted Hit message. I was like ***? Anyway I put the .17 away completely and eventually tested if the Warning were working right by using the .308 rival on a Bison. Same message. Of course only the letter from Doc on the .308 hit my inbox. Can someone tell me if this round has been screwed up, if its working as intended and hte messages might not be fully working? Kind of ticked frankly as there is no logical reason for any .17 HMR round to not be ethical for rabbits.
Updates...... they are put there for you to read on any new changes.

But besides that... they didn't want to do the work of changing the new ammo on the small animal files for the small rifle.............. :)
Change rounds when your hunting, so you need to carry both types if you want to shoot all the animals on both allow lists...... :roll:
I begged them to listen but now you know how that went.
lmp1986

Post by lmp1986 »

Bit of a bummer you have to keep switching ammo. I wonder how long it'll take before I lose track of what I have in the gun and I shoot the wrong critter with the wrong bullet... Still, being able to dispatch foxes or bobcats relatively quietly is a plus. In my limited experience, the new ammo kills them just as dead as the .223 or .243.
rockynz

Post by rockynz »

Love the 17 HMR
dj.p.king
Scout

Post by dj.p.king »

Yes it's a nice rifle with the hv ammo, but there is something wrong when people can get a kill on polar bear using it,
the score for the animal was on a hunters score sheet in their hunt history, if it got a score it was not disqualified.

I did try putting a post up about this but the post was disapproved.
Season 26

1 Range record Season 23 - Dall 583.110 m, 1 Range record Season 25 - Dall 601.410 m
PB range, Xbow 230.230, Bow 471.180, Rifle 601.410
Game play 2700+ hours/hunter score 19000+ http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/stats.php?username=djpking
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

gas56 wrote:
Theocrates wrote:So I was on WRR earlier today and shot an Arctic Fox withe HV and dropped it solid, very nice. I then spotted a male Snowshoe Hare which I shot and got the Unpermitted Hit message. I was like ***? Anyway I put the .17 away completely and eventually tested if the Warning were working right by using the .308 rival on a Bison. Same message. Of course only the letter from Doc on the .308 hit my inbox. Can someone tell me if this round has been screwed up, if its working as intended and hte messages might not be fully working? Kind of ticked frankly as there is no logical reason for any .17 HMR round to not be ethical for rabbits.

But besides that... they didn't want to do the work of changing the new ammo on the small animal files for the small rifle.............. :)
Change rounds when your hunting, so you need to carry both types if you want to shoot all the animals on both allow lists...... :roll:
TreeKiwi wrote:In case you have missed it. Ideally we would have loved to put it all under the one ammo. However we could not get the Trophy integrity to register 100% on the rabbits and birds when the ammo was pumped up for the foxes etc. So this way the Trophy integrity is saved across all the species. I hope this helps clarify the confusion.
I hope this helps Gas.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I like the new ammo just fine. Sure its OP but in the scope that it is to be used I dont think that is much of a problem. While I havent shot anything larger then a bobcat with it I have seen reports that people have killed deer & now even polar bears with it. For those that think that is an issue please remember every single land animal on Gods green earth can be killed with a 22lr. All it takes is shot placement & time. That is where ethical lists come in. Just because its possible to do a thing doesnt mean its a good idea.

Switching between the ammo types isnt as much of a PIA as I thought it would be. Sure I would prefer not to have switch ammo but it is what it is.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

TreeKiwi wrote:
gas56 wrote:

TreeKiwi wrote:In case you have missed it. Ideally we would have loved to put it all under the one ammo. However we could not get the Trophy integrity to register 100% on the rabbits and birds when the ammo was pumped up for the foxes etc. So this way the Trophy integrity is saved across all the species. I hope this helps clarify the confusion.
I hope this helps Gas.
I already read that the 1st time you wrote it,... and sorry to say that doesn't help, that was the part I mentioned of changing the new ammo on the small animal files to work (Trophy Integrity).
Sorry you didn't understand what I meant........ ;)
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

gas56 wrote:
TreeKiwi wrote:
gas56 wrote:

I hope this helps Gas.
I already read that the 1st time you wrote it,... and sorry to say that doesn't help, that was the part I mentioned of changing the new ammo on the small animal files to work (Trophy Integrity).
If only it was that easy :D
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

TreeKiwi wrote:
gas56 wrote:
TreeKiwi wrote:

I hope this helps Gas.
If only it was that easy :D
Hard work is never easy, be it physically or mentally, but in the end it gets done.
That's how people learn, from the people who know how it's done.
Hire Luna Back!!!
She was worth her weight in gold,..... well $Em.............. :lol:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

gas56 wrote:Hire Luna Back!!!
Luna was great but she was a backend developer. This is game design, or if you want to start changing ballistics, then it becomes client.

Return to “General Chat”