.17 HMR HV confusion

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Theocrates

.17 HMR HV confusion

Post by Theocrates »

So I was on WRR earlier today and shot an Arctic Fox withe HV and dropped it solid, very nice. I then spotted a male Snowshoe Hare which I shot and got the Unpermitted Hit message. I was like ***? Anyway I put the .17 away completely and eventually tested if the Warning were working right by using the .308 rival on a Bison. Same message. Of course only the letter from Doc on the .308 hit my inbox. Can someone tell me if this round has been screwed up, if its working as intended and hte messages might not be fully working? Kind of ticked frankly as there is no logical reason for any .17 HMR round to not be ethical for rabbits.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: .17 HMR HV confusion

Post by JimboCrow »

The new .17 HMR HV ammo is permitted for the Arctic Fox, but not the Snowshoe Hare. The hare is still only permitted with the original .17 HMR ammo. The Arctic Fox, Red Fox, Coyote, Bobcat, Turkey, and Geese have been made separate and permissible only with the HMR HV ammo. No particular logic involved, just game balance.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

As Jimbo said It is working as intended.
https://www.thehunter.com/#store/item/770
Spoiler:
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

JimboCrow wrote:The new .17 HMR HV ammo is permitted for the Arctic Fox, but not the Snowshoe Hare. The hare is still only permitted with the original .17 HMR ammo. The Arctic Fox, Red Fox, Coyote, Bobcat, Turkey, and Geese have been made separate and permissible only with the HMR HV ammo. No particular logic involved, just game balance.
And what balance issue is covered by that split of ammotypes? Only EW knows. I appreciate the new HV ammo I really do but did we really need a split? I understand if it is easier to introduce a new ammo type instead of twinking a present one, but still what balance problem?
Code: Select all
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

In case you have missed it. Ideally we would have loved to put it all under the one ammo. However we could not get the Trophy integrity to register 100% on the rabbits and birds when the ammo was pumped up for the foxes etc. So this way the Trophy integrity is saved across all the species. I hope this helps clarify the confusion.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

It's more ammo to buy, if you're a guest & have to buy ammo, and want to use that weapon.

I have to believe that "Game Balance" has more to do with sales than realism. Yes, in reality there are ammo that should & shouldn't be used on specific animals.
And they capture some realism with the permitted ammo specification.

I'm sure many are happy that the HV is permitted for Coyote. It's a pretty hot round. I was able to consistently knock down whitetail doe with it. (Ignoring the nasty-grams from Doc).
The big snafu that it fixed was ineffectiveness of the HMR on fox. The thing it didn't address was needing 2 weapons for arctic fox & snowshoe.

So, it's a trade off.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

The new ammo is great, I accidentally shot a goat from 60m with it but it dropped on the spot....
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

TreeKiwi wrote:In case you have missed it. Ideally we would have loved to put it all under the one ammo. However we could not get the Trophy integrity to register 100% on the rabbits and birds when the ammo was pumped up for the foxes etc. So this way the Trophy integrity is saved across all the species. I hope this helps clarify the confusion.
A good explanation and reason! Ty for taking the time to explain it to people who did not follow its creation closely.
Code: Select all
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Tod1d wrote:It's more ammo to buy, if you're a guest & have to buy ammo, and want to use that weapon.

I have to believe that "Game Balance" has more to do with sales than realism. Yes, in reality there are ammo that should & shouldn't be used on specific animals.
And they capture some realism with the permitted ammo specification.

I'm sure many are happy that the HV is permitted for Coyote. It's a pretty hot round. I was able to consistently knock down whitetail doe with it. (Ignoring the nasty-grams from Doc).
The big snafu that it fixed was ineffectiveness of the HMR on fox. The thing it didn't address was needing 2 weapons for arctic fox & snowshoe.

So, it's a trade off.
WT does, Tod? Check this out then: https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/buiu ... /604003124
I assure you it was a honest mistake, but it didn't suffer! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But seriously, heart double lung and liver on a red deer is probably better than the .308 I'm currently grinding.
Spoiler:
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

nachthexe wrote:
TreeKiwi wrote:In case you have missed it. Ideally we would have loved to put it all under the one ammo. However we could not get the Trophy integrity to register 100% on the rabbits and birds when the ammo was pumped up for the foxes etc. So this way the Trophy integrity is saved across all the species. I hope this helps clarify the confusion.
A good explanation and reason! Ty for taking the time to explain it to people who did not follow its creation closely.
Yes, a good explanation indeed, and a perfect reason for making the change accordingly. It was a very responsive corrective action taken by EW and deserves to be recognized as such, absolutely! I humbly withdraw my game balance comment and apologize for misleading or offending anyone. The new HMR HV ammo is much more effective than the original on Arctic Fox. I will try it on Red Fox and even Coyote later tonight. Thank you TK and EW.

Return to “General Chat”