Magpie Geese Initial Observations

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Magpie Geese Initial Observations

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Here are my observations after a couple of Magpie hunts. I used Schlactwolf's spot as shown in the pictures on page 2 of this thread. https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=87139

1. (Audio Problems) Unless you have your blind at least 15 meters from the water's edge, you constantly hear the water rippling sound, which interferes with the sound of the Magpie flocks. Extremely difficult to hear them, even if they aren't the silent ones. Even worse for those with hearing disorders. Just grab a book and forget about anything else if it rains. In addition, I never hear them until they are literally just above those trees, so by the time I toot on the long range caller even twice (it's God-awful slow) they are gone.

2. While I had my blind at Schlactwolf's spot, the ONLY flocks came from behind me, and were difficult to see. So I moved it across the walkway to the other side of that bay, and the ONLY flocks came from behind the trees on that side. Yeesh. In both spots, I never once got a flock coming from the north or the south. All east or all west, depending which side the blind was on.

3. I also experienced geese landing in the deep water, and not coming to the surface until I whistled them up.

4. There are many little atolls or little bitty islands, in the waters at PB. I put a blind on one, and it worked good because I was away from the trees. However the water noise forced me to move it back to land. There has to be a compromise somewhere! For me, being hearing impaired, the sound is critical. I would like to see the sounds of the flocks amplified so they can be heard when they become visual to the naked eye, like the Canada Geese.

I'm going to move my blind to the far south of the water way/bays that I started with. I will report the results.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Re: Magpie Geese Initial Observations

Post by ronMctube »

i would go with only one set up.two blinds in the games i been in like ducks and geese seem to ruin the flow of action.sometimes the geese dont even make noise and you just see them break.weird.need a bit of tweaking.piccabeen with the weather can be a challenge.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Several of the issues we're getting would at least be mitigated if the shallow water areas were more plentiful, but on most spots you can't take more than half a dozen steps into the water before getting stuck.
Spoiler:
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

I have noticed too, that majority of the flocks are flying from east to west.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

BuiuRei wrote:Several of the issues we're getting would at least be mitigated if the shallow water areas were more plentiful, but on most spots you can't take more than half a dozen steps into the water before getting stuck.
We urgently need these in the game.
I had these wellies when I was a wee boy. There were no puddles too deep for me. Gotta love the 80s.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

caledonianblues wrote:
BuiuRei wrote:Several of the issues we're getting would at least be mitigated if the shallow water areas were more plentiful, but on most spots you can't take more than half a dozen steps into the water before getting stuck.
We urgently need these in the game.
I had these wellies when I was a wee boy. There were no puddles too deep for me. Gotta love the 80s.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spoiler:
Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

i fully agree with stans observations

regarding the flocks coming only from behind: i noticed this too, but only on the big river; at the delta they were also coming from other directions.

my thoughts regarding the running water sound i mentioned already here: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=87154
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

If the magpie land on both water and land, then why not can the decoys be setup on both land and water?

Return to “General Chat”