Why are we hunting a protected species?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: Why are we hunting a protected species?

Post by SoftShoe »

InstinctiveArcher wrote: I wonder if people in Africa are offended by North American reserves in their games :lol:
Unlikely, they are offended by games like CoD & GTA. It seems like only in 1st world nations do we give voice to such nonsense as this.

RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

nachthexe wrote:Magpie Geese are a protected species in the Northern Territory of Australia.
https://nt.gov.au/environment/animals/w ... gpie-goose

Their population in the south seems to have already vanshed because the wet land there have been drained. While there is still a seemingly large number of them around, numbers are declining for s species that is basically a living fossil.
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/22679732/0

I understand that EW wanted to offer a new species but why a protected one? Yes this is a game and no animals are hurt, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Since when have pixels become an endangered species?
Spoiler:
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

As most people say, Its just a game, its a pix elated, non real animal in a game, i understand that some people don't feel good about killing species that is under threat in some parts of the world, but i dont think it will set a bad example, only about half of all the players hunt in real life. As a crazy animal lover in real life i would never shoot or kill a living creature, but its a game, its made to entertain people and help them make friends. Its a really special game and its community is very closely connected. This game is very old and the player constantly need new species to keep them entertained, i think EW chose the mag goose because the game needed another goose and it was very different from other animals. I don't personally see an issue with this species.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

And Now suddenly.. all these people playing this game who had never heard of this animal, now know it is one of the oldest living creatures on our planet, where it can be found , what it looks and sounds like and what its chances of survival are in the future.
If thats not doing something for conservation .. what is.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Well here comes the whole Polar Bear debate again. :roll: :lol:
Cause it's just a video game.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

This is the same kind of funny stuff like people complaining in the Elder Scrolls Online Forum about how we get to use ivory there as profession material with the next expansion - that we harvest from fictional species in a fantasy world there btw.
The whole internet has become a dank meme.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

DanthemanBoone wrote:And Now suddenly.. all these people playing this game who had never heard of this animal, now know it is one of the oldest living creatures on our planet, where it can be found , what it looks and sounds like and what its chances of survival are in the future.
If thats not doing something for conservation .. what is.
There is this I admit.
Well thanks for your opinions, I think this thread can be closed now.
Code: Select all
Commanche
Spotter

Post by Commanche »

Africa - bugger the big 5, they've got some great antelope. And birds...nothing like hearing the guinea fowl calling for more buckwheat as you have your coffee at 5 in the morning whilst sniffing some empty shells from the day before :lol:
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

He asked a fine question. He met the usual knee jerk defensiveness of gamers. The “it’s just a game” argument is lame. And those making it are often the very same people who are the loudest whiners when some aspect of the game isn’t enough like “reality.” There is significant attention to ensuring the animals are accurate, placed in accurate surroundings, hunted with ethical weapons for the species, etc. This game is a whole world more than “shooting pixels.” If these responses were at all legitimate, then we should have no problem shooting anything that moves in any location with anything available, like a shooting gallery at a carnival, where the animals just come at us in waves like a hunting version of DOOM. Can you hear the outcry and gnashing of teeth if that were seriously proposed as the way to play this game!? Indeed, if this is “just” shooting pixels, why not just play DOOM?!

The only valuable responses to the legitimate question of this thread were the official clarification, and the observation that the inclusion of the Magpie is educational. The rest was at best noise, and mostly needless belittling of the questioner, demonstrating the responder's own limited capacities.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Griph wrote:He asked a fine question.
No sir, the premise of his post was based on a false positive which makes it nothing more then rhetoric.

I would say he got more then a little rhetoric in return.

Return to “General Chat”