Low Settings debate / digression

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Getting stuck in between tree roots on piccabeen

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Oh wow.
Doesn't this debate date from back in the deer hunter 2004 or even earlier days. And any time competitions are involved there are always arguments about taking advantage of lower settings to enhance your chances of success being bad sportsmanship ( or worse ).

Buts thats not where I agree.
What I disagree with is players saying that successful hunting cant be done on high settings because ... (and the myriad reasons they quote.)
The reality is that they are not hunting in a manner that reflects the real life aspects of the game.
First learn to be a hunter. Then you will become a better at this game.
Learning the animals patterns , using the natural formations and high ground or exhibiting the skills of discovery and recognition of the prey animal in its natural surroundings.
The artificial calling systems we have in game are minimally successful in real life. The constant vocalisation by the animals is also absent except during certain seasonal events.
But scouting, observing and identifying travel patterns and natural killing zones, then planning your route in order to set up stand positions,( which is what a hunter does in the real world ) will go a long way further to giving you good returns and playing satisfaction than resorting to lower settings ever will.
There are only a fraction of alternative behaviors that can be encountered in this game. Unlike the infinity of possibilities found in the real world, It is limited to the amount of programing each animal has. Doesn't take long to learn. Hell even the wind direction never changes, and every animal you spook or wound is going to run a straight line away from you for almost exactly the same distance every time.

And while I prefer to hunt on the highest settings my rig can handle, I accept that anyone else may play the game any way they like for any reason they like.
Just don't try and justify those decisions purely by saying the dynamic vegetation levels make it impossible to see anything. Vegetation levels in this game are nothing like that which can be encountered in a real environment.
Remember the whole point is to have fun, and not spoil someone else's while your doing it.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

DTMB..please document the co-ordinates on any map in the EHR where you have found animal trails that are always used by a species, and at what time of day? There are no animal trails to scout in tH. Yeesh. You took my comment about the foliage in PB always being at eye level (crouching) when on max settings and rambled on for several posts. The foliage in max settings at PB is at eye level when crouching..that's a dead balls fact. That was my point. Now, let's see you stalk a Sambar without crouching, or going prone, and see how many you harvest within 30 meters or less.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: Low Settings debate / digression

It seems EW has pulled these posts from a thread called "getting stuck in the tree roots at PB", and given it a new name. Why?

RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But isn't the lowest scene complexity medium on newly released maps since Timbergold trails. That is the impression I was under.
Spoiler:
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

stancomputerhunter wrote:It seems EW has pulled these posts from a thread called "getting stuck in the tree roots at PB", and given it a new name. Why?
I'm no mod but it looks like it was because a mod thought it was diverting too far from the topic and split it off.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Its amazing the differance between min & max settings. My gaming PC I run everything at max & have never even considered running it at less. I also have Classic installed on my work PC where I use it mainly as a mule for moving equipment & occasionally shooting something that gets in my way. MY work PC barely moves with everything on max so I changed it to min. In any case, a few weeks ago I decided to put some TS up in PB & was BLOWN AWAY at the difference. Like most of you have noticed, most places you cant seem more then 40m & in some spots 1/2 that. When I loaded it on my work PC & being able to see out to render amazed me!

IMO anyone who runs at min settings when they could run at max is using it as an exploit. Its not unique to this game. I play a few military simulations & there are those who do the same thing so they can shoot farther. Personally I see doing it as akin to cheating at solitaire. Yeah you won, so what?

D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

RidgeBack69 wrote:Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But isn't the lowest scene complexity medium on newly released maps since Timbergold trails. That is the impression I was under.
Yes it is. and if i remember right it was said in a stream back before PB went live. But its still a good difference between this and high.

And to add to the main discussion - if people like playing on lower settings to find more "success" or make the overall experience easier its totally fine in my book. Its a feature of the game. No exploit were u use a badly programmed,bugged or glitched part of the game to your advantage.
Its insanely ugly tho and i myself cant enjoy it.

Some people arent playing to get superhyped in immersion and rl near experience by the game. Some only go in to find trophys for their lodge or personal collecting or comps or whatever and ofc most of the goal only oriented players in any game prefer to go the way of min maxing if possible.
Thats the good thing in games like thehunter , u can enjoy the experience in whatever way u like or find fitting. I know i burned myself out by forcing to much pressure on myself with finding trophys and havent really played actively for a while now cause every time i went out on a longer hunt and came back empty handed i felt like i wasted my time which wasnt the case when i first startet and explored and tested out more stuff so i stopped and will come back actively when i can enjoy the experience again. but each to their own. Enough ranting.

Let everyone play however they like. If they dont use hacks or cheats or real exploits its fine.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
DanthemanBoone wrote:
gas56 wrote:Seems like the simplest solution is to just stay away from the roots, they aren't really a problem.
Exactly my feeling as well. I hunt piccabeen a lot and after the first couple of instances I learned the lesson.
Its no different than real life, where you may encounter stinging nettle, poison Ivy, lawyer bushes and married women, you learn pretty darn quick what to keep away from,.
I respectfully disagree. Hunting in Peekaboo is hard without low or medium settings. In max settings the foliage is thick and it's impossible to see Sambar and Rusa from a crouch position (they will bust you from 40+ meters). The only alternatives are:

1 Carry a tree stand and hope every call or sighting is from over 100 meters.
2. Call and stalk, going prone as soon as you hear footsteps. To see you have to crawl on to tree roots. Can't possibly have the time to research their incompatibility while all of this is going on.
IMO whether the settings are forced medium or you set them on the highest that the deer's A.I. is just a lot more jacked up which makes them harder to stalk.

1. Carry a tree stand when you get a call, look at the distance it is from you on the HM , if it is too far get closer then set the TS up. Then go closer yet to where the deer's call position was on the HM,.. call back then retreat back to the TS. Watch for the deer, then call it in again to new spot at TS.
2. Call and wait if it is close enough on the HM, set yourself up in a spot where you have visual advantage from where you called from, and the deer is not looking in your direction.
Do it just like any other reserve with animals you call in.

P.S. just make sure the wind is right............. :lol:

Stan,.. you probably know all these things already, but why aren't you using them here? and you don't need to use the tree roots unless you really want to.
Have a good 1.............. :D
kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

stancomputerhunter wrote:DTMB..please document the co-ordinates on any map in the EHR where you have found animal trails that are always used by a species, and at what time of day?
Saying «always» used might not be right, i see what you mean about that. But there are places that i would say you will see a specific species feeding/sleeping during a specific time on around 60-80% of your hunts. Or do you consider trails as an exact route they walk?

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

kevin2106 wrote:
stancomputerhunter wrote:DTMB..please document the co-ordinates on any map in the EHR where you have found animal trails that are always used by a species, and at what time of day?
Saying «always» used might not be right, i see what you mean about that. But there are places that i would say you will see a specific species feeding/sleeping during a specific time on around 60-80% of your hunts. Or do you consider trails as an exact route they walk?
Yes, I meant an exact route they walk. That's what creates trails.

Also. I just want to point out that this comment means I play on low settings. I don't. Every hunt, every reserve..max settings.

"Hunting in Peekaboo is hard without low or medium settings."

Return to “General Chat”