Low Settings debate / digression

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Low Settings debate / digression

Post by JimboCrow »

I'm always somewhat surprised that people choose to play at lower resolutions when their equipment runs sufficiently smooth at max. The game looks so much better at high res that I bought the best video card I could afford just to be able to KEEP playing at max settings with smooth framerates. To me it's worth it just for the sheer beauty of the game, nothing else, nothing more. It is unfortunate (especially for comps) that we cannot all enjoy playing at one and the same settings for all, that is, maxed out.
Violator31
Outfitter

Re: Getting stuck in between tree roots on piccabeen

Post by Violator31 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Oh wow.
The reality is that they are not hunting in a manner that reflects the real life aspects of the game.....
... using the natural formations and high ground or exhibiting the skills of discovery and recognition of the prey animal in its natural surroundings.
Agreed.
I hunt in this game a lot like the way I hunt in real life. And that's what I like about the game... I can. If someone else does not want to,...fine by me...do so because you can.
stancomputerhunter wrote:DTMB..please document the co-ordinates on any map in the EHR where you have found animal trails that are always used by a species, and at what time of day? There are no animal trails to scout in tH.
I am in no way speaking for Dan, but there are many threads pointing out the different times of day & good areas where different animals spawn more.
As far as trails, I'm actually glad that there aren't any trails in this game. It gets me to travel more of the maps.
DanthemanBoone wrote: And while I prefer to hunt on the highest settings my rig can handle, I accept that anyone else may play the game any way they like for any reason they like.
Personally, that's why I don't enter too many of the comps.
If they are using the lower settings I do see where some might call it an exploit, if you consider the comps. But, since this game has no rules on how you have to play, the word "exploit" is a little harsh.
Everyone plays how they want. Have fun. As soon as comps are added, the competitive nature of the participants will want a fair & equal chance of winning. So, in my opinion, either lower your standards or accept the fact that the others have lowered theirs.
I don't know if it's possible, or even worth the effort, but different comps for different setting, just like the way the separate it for # of kills, might be an option. But it seems like overkill that would really clutter up the competition pages.

Leaderboards....I'm always excited when I see my scores & how close they might be to getting on the boards, but, same as the comps, I am not here hunting for the competition or to win anything. I treat it like my real life hunting....I enjoy the hunt.
I hope that others do as well, in any settings or style that you want to.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

Getting all emotional about it sometimes, I know. But when it comes to comps especially, and someone intentionally lower their settings, I'd gladly call it an exploit. I'd even go so far to say: Shame on you! ;)
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Getting stuck in between tree roots on piccabeen

Post by DanthemanBoone »

stancomputerhunter wrote:DTMB..please document the co-ordinates on any map in the EHR where you have found animal trails that are always used by a species, and at what time of day? There are no animal trails to scout in tH. Yeesh. You took my comment about the foliage in PB always being at eye level (crouching) when on max settings and rambled on for several posts. The foliage in max settings at PB is at eye level when crouching..that's a dead balls fact. That was my point. Now, let's see you stalk a Sambar without crouching, or going prone, and see how many you harvest within 30 meters or less.
I don't need to document where I hunt, its there for anyone who wishes to take the time to find out.
Go back through my Piccabeen hunts ,( Specifically there because that's the map where conditions instigated this discussion ) make a map and mark all my kills and check the kill maps for each one.
with a full analysis you will be able to clearly see the pattern of where I am finding the animals.
Ok there are no Trails as such but definite patterns of movement that can be intersected at the points the animals cross the open areas ( here my towers and stands have been placed ) and the general areas of thick vegetation they travel between those points. these pattern exist on all the maps and can be found by scouting and observation.
Or as a quick view just check my last hunt and see how many Sambhur I shot at what ranges and under what conditions.

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dant ... statistics

Some I shot in the open, some in the trees and some with the cross bow at close range in thick cover. I even have one that was sleeping in the bushes at less than 20 yrds.
Now just to be specific, I put my settings up to very high, high and low shadows. My frame speeds were down to about 25 to 29 in the trees. Made it a little tougher than my usual 35 to 45 but still manageable.
I used no scent for the Sambhur but called and ambushed the Rusa.
I do crouch or go prone when shooting from the ground but not when travelling. Lets be plain about that.
I use a 32 inch L.G. TV monitor because using anything smaller I have found is what makes the game far more difficult, Its like going hunting with binoculars strapped to eyes backward on smaller screens, you truly need the bigger screens to get the best hunting experience and see things in a closer to true life perspective.
When I look at my hand holding the huntermate it is a comparative size to my real hand at that distance. Maybe this is the reason my experience is so different and the vegetation doesn't cause me the same problems. I doubt I could hunt at all on a 15 or 17 inch laptop.
But if that is really the case, anyone can do the same by running a HDMI from the laptop to a big screen.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Pretty_Boy
Outfitter

Post by Pretty_Boy »

stancomputerhunter wrote:...Hunting in Peekaboo is hard without low or medium settings. In max settings the foliage is thick and it's impossible to see Sambar and Rusa from a crouch position (they will bust you from 40+ meters). The only alternatives are:

1 Carry a tree stand and hope every call or sighting is from over 100 meters.
2. Call and stalk, going prone as soon as you hear footsteps. To see you have to crawl on to tree roots. Can't possibly have the time to research their incompatibility while all of this is going on.
Hey Stan, I got a call from Doc, he told me you're doing some Peekaboo to the animals at the Bay! Is this correct? As a gamekeeper I'we talked to Major Sambar about it. He told me it's going some rumors among the Rusa's. Something about a hunting dude crawling and sneaking around. They have seen his head going up and down, here and there, and sometimes it's so close it's like a Peekaboo, done on purpose! The Rusa's get freaked out of this you know, some of them are even wondering to travel over to the Bayou!

If the rumor above is true, then I have a 3rd option for you: Join my multiplayer when I'm online. I got some toys in some nice sweet spots you can use, then they at least don't freak out :D

Pupic
Hunter

Post by Pupic »

Some of you guys....... ;)
Don`t get me wrong but 90% of statements made here i found to be ridiculous.
Someone intentionally lowering their settings to won competitions or pick up collectibles....... WHO? PLEASE NAME ONE PLAYER!
I will get off topic and describe my personal experience with TH and the game settings you all talk about. Feel free to skip my whining (tho, its important for overall understanding of where some players are `coming from`)
Here it goes (the part you can skip) - In general i play TH on low settings (Texture and Shadow high but everything else on low as possible)
Its not because i try to get some advantage, its because my rig cant handle anything higher (the hell, i cant even play PB or TT because my pc is on the edge to catch fire, ....on usual spring day there is some 27+ Celsius inside my apartment so you can imagine how hot my GPU could get with some of the more demanding games/settings).
Yes, i could get the better computer, better cooling and so on..... but at what cost? I earn 800-1000 EUR per month (some 25% higher than my country average) my wife is unemployed (who in the right mind would hire her with....) 4 kids (9,7,5 & 2) and live in rented apartment (400 EUR per month)..... somehow the new computer is not my priority (...try to buy gaming comp. in Croatia and tell me how it goes...) , especially since i can play perfectly fine most of the time and on most of the maps.
I cant say i like it (the look of my game) but its the best i can get for the price.
NOW, back on the topic.....
This is a niche game as i understand and from my 10 years TH experience it is played by non-gaming community, a mid-aged people loving the hunting but not able to participate in a real deal, they will not spend money on new comp. just because the game will look a bit better, and who could blame them. Most of the people i met here use their PC to play TH and read daily news. ( And i salute the TH devs for not discarding those type of community over the years. )

Could it be that someone really lowers their settings (from the posts here look like its the often case) to gain some advantage? ...Well yeah, there are strange folks everywhere, but i just cant believe its the `usual` thing to do .
I would trade all of my 647 trophies for a chance to set my Scene Complexity to `Very High`....... for those who don`t believe me, just set everything to low....and tell me how many competition did you won and how much you enjoyed it, aiming trough that big green block that should represent a grass or a treetop is much harder than you think.
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

Relax Pupic, situations like yours are really understandable and you would be crazy to spend the money you need for living and the family into the game!
Hunters which cant use high settings and/or cant afford new pc-parts or a new pc are doing everything correctly with their settings. Hunters which could play in comps with good fps on high settings but dont play with them .. these are the ones to worry about.

I hunt with max settings and nvidia inspector tweak for a graphic enhancement and i would like to see better graphics and a higher landscape lod tomorrow, even if this means that i would need a complete new pc ..but i could afford it without thinking about it. I dont play comps and do rarely missions (cuz i use th to relax), but i understand that for comps its like exploiting if someone uses low scenery settings and the pc could use high settings easily.

Regards!
Now offline. Forever.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

:arrow: Pupic

All over this thread it can be read that there's no hard feeling against fellow hunters who have no choice. It's the other ones being aimed at. The exploiting (noobie) ones. One can think; so what for an 100em$ in a comp, one can think. But when it's done to make profit in the longer perspective, or done in the "UHC" comps where the prize can be huge, it can be a problem. Because there's a huge different playing in low vs high settings!

Man, they even had this question in their survey. That says alot.
What graphical settings do you have when playing the game? *

Low

Medium

High / Very high

If low, what is the main reason for you choosing these settings?

My computer is too weak to handle the game on higher settings

:arrow: I want to see animals better and farther away :!:

Other:
So. "Be real", please!

Edit: Sorry but, when I see a trophy shot in the "TruRacs, Trophy of the week, Post your albino... etc" thread, being submitted in low settings. I, unintentionally, don't bother at all. But/and I sure do want to compete, whenever I compete, on the same terms. Simple.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Pupic, please, I don't know you, or what you can or cannot see at the settings your rig supports, but I tried lowering my settings to minimum (with my old video card) to find teddy bears I needed to complete an event. I was suddenly able to see all the teddy bears, but also cottontails much closer and easier than I ever had. It made a HUGE difference, but the game looked like shite so I put it back. If you don't know what I'm referring to why are you so upset? Incidentally, no one here names names. Only the very best to you sir. Jim.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
DanthemanBoone wrote:
gas56 wrote:Seems like the simplest solution is to just stay away from the roots, they aren't really a problem.
Exactly my feeling as well. I hunt piccabeen a lot and after the first couple of instances I learned the lesson.
Its no different than real life, where you may encounter stinging nettle, poison Ivy, lawyer bushes and married women, you learn pretty darn quick what to keep away from,.
I respectfully disagree. Hunting in Peekaboo is hard without low or medium settings. In max settings the foliage is thick and it's impossible to see Sambar and Rusa from a crouch position (they will bust you from 40+ meters). The only alternatives are:

1 Carry a tree stand and hope every call or sighting is from over 100 meters.
2. Call and stalk, going prone as soon as you hear footsteps. To see you have to crawl on to tree roots. Can't possibly have the time to research their incompatibility while all of this is going on.
If you read this first post,.. by the time you get to the last posts it looks like it should have been put into another post topic again.
I wonder if it was posted again what would come out of the topic..............but it all looks like it grew into something pretty negative IMO.
Have some fun in the game! everything isn't about the worst scenario for a post like who's trying to exploit graphic settings.

Return to “General Chat”