Low Settings debate / digression

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Low Settings debate / digression

Post by stancomputerhunter »

DanthemanBoone wrote:
gas56 wrote:Seems like the simplest solution is to just stay away from the roots, they aren't really a problem.
Exactly my feeling as well. I hunt piccabeen a lot and after the first couple of instances I learned the lesson.
Its no different than real life, where you may encounter stinging nettle, poison Ivy, lawyer bushes and married women, you learn pretty darn quick what to keep away from,.
I respectfully disagree. Hunting in Peekaboo is hard without low or medium settings. In max settings the foliage is thick and it's impossible to see Sambar and Rusa from a crouch position (they will bust you from 40+ meters). The only alternatives are:

1 Carry a tree stand and hope every call or sighting is from over 100 meters.
2. Call and stalk, going prone as soon as you hear footsteps. To see you have to crawl on to tree roots. Can't possibly have the time to research their incompatibility while all of this is going on.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Re: Getting stuck in between tree roots on piccabeen

Post by Generalkommendant »

Not having Max Settings gets a lot easier for many things. Almost like exploiting. Antler sheds, collectibles, line of sight etc etc. I would never do that. I like it as its meant to be. Hopefully people don't lower their settings if not absolutely necessary due to hardware issues.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Generalkommendant wrote:Not having Max Settings gets a lot easier for many things. Almost like exploiting. Antler sheds, collectibles, line of sight etc etc. I would never do that. I like it as its meant to be. Hopefully people don't lower their settings if not absolutely necessary due to hardware issues.
Agreed.

Some folks can't, and that's ok. Not for me though. I'm not in it to kill everything that moves. Mostly looking for trophies. I love the track and stalk. Which is why the birds are useless. ;)

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
DanthemanBoone wrote:
gas56 wrote:Seems like the simplest solution is to just stay away from the roots, they aren't really a problem.
Exactly my feeling as well. I hunt piccabeen a lot and after the first couple of instances I learned the lesson.
Its no different than real life, where you may encounter stinging nettle, poison Ivy, lawyer bushes and married women, you learn pretty darn quick what to keep away from,.
I respectfully disagree. Hunting in Peekaboo is hard without low or medium settings. In max settings the foliage is thick and it's impossible to see Sambar and Rusa from a crouch position (they will bust you from 40+ meters). The only alternatives are:

1 Carry a tree stand and hope every call or sighting is from over 100 meters.
2. Call and stalk, going prone as soon as you hear footsteps. To see you have to crawl on to tree roots. Can't possibly have the time to research their incompatibility while all of this is going on.
Sorry Stan. Cant wear that. I hunt on high and high with shadows low. I walk and run and sometimes sit in a stand. I hardly ever crouch and practically never crawl unless its from my tent to a stand with animals right on top of me. I hate low settings. I mostly hunt Sambhur and have a high success rate. There is much more to the game than stumbling around tree roots.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

yes i hunt piccabean maxxed out and shoot sambar at 200m.people like to hunt on low settings because its either easier to see animals cause of low vegitation or performance issues.which is understandable.

people asked for jump and climbing to be put in the game since it began nearly 10 years ago. the only issue is modify the jumping then you flying round the reserve.getting out the reserve.getting into other places to get stuck in that you wouldnt of without jump feature :D
Generalkommendant
Hunter

ronMctube wrote:people like to hunt on low settings because its either easier to see animals cause of low vegitation or performance issues.which is understandable.
If it is due to performance, I'm OK with it. If not. I consider it being nothing but exploiting.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Generalkommendant wrote:
ronMctube wrote:people like to hunt on low settings because its either easier to see animals cause of low vegitation or performance issues.which is understandable.
If it is due to performance, I'm OK with it. If not. I consider it being nothing but exploiting.
How can you exploit a feature that is open to everyone? It is a choice of features, and a way of hunting tactics.
Not everyone gets up in a TS to see Sambar & Rusa coming into a scent or call bait, thus eliminating further distances of dynamic objects (models you can walk through) that are rendered near you,
or hunting higher ground where you can watch animals below you way out to further distances past dynamic objects. You can do that whether your settings are on low or the highest. That doesn't mean it is exploiting when you use strategy to see your quarry to play the game. That is experience with how games work to render models and using it to your advantage. Anyone can do that!
and most players will do that. Just get up high enough on a hill or use a TS to see past max render of the dynamic objects on thick maps. But some players keep the settings lower because their machine has FPS problems of rendering higher settings. If it was a problem in the game there would be no differences made in quantity and quality of the view,.. and that my friend is a choice
for players that do have computers that have no problem with higher settings.............. and that will not make anyone a better hunter :)
Generalkommendant
Hunter

gas56 wrote:
Generalkommendant wrote:
How can you exploit a feature that is open to everyone? It is a choice of features, and a way of hunting tactics.
Not everyone gets up in a TS to see Sambar & Rusa coming into a scent or call bait, thus eliminating further distances of dynamic objects (models you can walk through) that are rendered near you,
or hunting higher ground where you can watch animals below you way out to further distances past dynamic objects. You can do that whether your settings are on low or the highest. That doesn't mean it is exploiting when you use strategy to see your quarry to play the game. That is experience with how games work to render models and using it to your advantage. Anyone can do that!
and most players will do that. Just get up high enough on a hill or use a TS to see past max render of the dynamic objects on thick maps. But some players keep the settings lower because their machine has FPS problems of rendering higher settings. If it was a problem in the game there would be no differences made in quantity and quality of the view,.. and that my friend is a choice
for players that do have computers that have no problem with higher settings.............. and that will not make anyone a better hunter :)
I get your point Gas. But from the look of all those players in the leaderboard (often guests but that has nothing to do about it of course), when inspecting their stats and all, I can see that most of 'em have the lowest setting. (Not saying that trophies spawn any differently). It clearly shows from the trophy shots. At least the ones actually getting that it's a trophy, and putting down some effort to take a trophy shot in the first place. I see for example that they have found many RME antlers, as an example. Well, it's not that antlers play any roll for me, but somehow it gets obvious that low settings get you to see more stuff close range. Especially in reserves like TgT etc. I have found one. And I have played TgT many hours, more than the ones I'm comparing with. Me too see things at long ranges where the foilage disappears and it can be really relieving. But overall, I do think it's more challenging to play with max settings compared to low settings.
Calling it an exploit may be a bit too hard, but if one do it just because it's easier, and not due to hardware issues, I at least think it's bad sportmanship.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Generalkommendant wrote: I at least think it's bad sportmanship.
That is your opinion and I have to respect the way you feel about it.
Sometimes the game has unwanted outcomes that may be taken advantage of,.. with nobody being the wiser for it,..
as I'm sure not every hunter player would bow kill a 400 + Elk 20 meters away stuck on some trees, but probably most would....... ;)
Generalkommendant
Hunter

gas56 wrote:
Generalkommendant wrote: I at least think it's bad sportmanship.
That is your opinion and I have to respect the way you feel about it.
Sometimes the game has unwanted outcomes that may be taken advantage of,.. with nobody being the wiser for it,..
as I'm sure not every hunter player would bow kill a 400 + Elk 20 meters away stuck on some trees, but probably most would....... ;)
The respect is mutual Gas. As always. (If I could ever SEE a 400+ elk I'd be so thrilled I'd probably poopoo my pants). I'd shoot it right away, no matter the circumstances.
I'll stick to max settings and enjoy the better graphics. And avoid Piccabeen since I'm in need of visiting a computer store to get a well deserved hardware update. ;)

Return to “General Chat”