17 HMR lever,.. Will the new bullet serve it justice?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Theocrates

Re: 17 HMR lever,.. Will the new bullet serve it justice?

Post by Theocrates »

Hopefully it will be a second full ration of ammo and not like 150 of the low Velocity 30 of the high velocity. That would put a serious crimp in duck and goose hunting.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Generalkommendant wrote:I guess the new round will be permitted for the two different foxes and the bobcat. They said it will be added to the current one. I wonder if the current one still will be able to shoot fox and bobcat, after the release of the new one.
I took it to mean they were just fixing the existing round not creating a whole new round for it or did I miss something?

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

SoftShoe wrote:
Generalkommendant wrote:I guess the new round will be permitted for the two different foxes and the bobcat. They said it will be added to the current one. I wonder if the current one still will be able to shoot fox and bobcat, after the release of the new one.
I took it to mean they were just fixing the existing round not creating a whole new round for it or did I miss something?
I would think so also,... I took it that it was going to replace the old ammo,... especially why would you want to use the old ammo if you can use
a better ammo? And actually I don't know if it will change the allowable list,.. It would make it a very good small game rifle for the already made allowable list.
The Bobcat & Coyote are just a little tougher than anything else on the .17 HMR list,.. so I don't see to make any including adjustments for them, or we might just have
another clusterfluck like it is right now with the old ammo on Foxes...........
I would rather have more than enough power to kill something than sometimes not enough.......... ;)
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

gas56 wrote:
SoftShoe wrote:
I would think so also,... I took it that it was going to replace the old ammo,... especially why would you want to use the old ammo if you can use
a better ammo? And actually I don't know if it will change the allowable list,.. It would make it a very good small game rifle for the already made allowable list.
The Bobcat & Coyote are just a little tougher than anything else on the .17 HMR list,.. so I don't see to make any including adjustments for them, or we might just have
another clusterfluck like it is right now with the old ammo on Foxes...........
I would rather have more than enough power to kill something than sometimes not enough.......... ;)
I asked TK during the latest stream on Twitch last Thursday. He clearly said it will be added to the current one. Not replacing it. ;)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Honestly that is pretty silly. It will make the old ammo completely obsolete unless they tweaked the old ammo some. Maybe reduce the spook radius to account for its diminished power?

kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

SoftShoe wrote:Honestly that is pretty silly. It will make the old ammo completely obsolete unless they tweaked the old ammo some. Maybe reduce the spook radius to account for its diminished power?
Maybe they will change the permitted species list on the HMR? And make the new ammo for the foxes and maybe some other animals? That could work

RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

If you look at the in-line muzzleloader ammo the two types do not have the same permitted species. I would guess that the 17HMR will be the same.
Spoiler:
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

Yep, it will be the first weapon in the "Rifle" category to have two different ammo types. As RidgeBack69 pointed out, there are not shared species between the ammo types in the "Muzzleloader" category. However, there is in the "Shotgun" category (Slugs and Buckshots share many species). Personally I don't think the new ammo will share species between each other.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

If it's definitely a new type of ammunition rather than a replacement, then it will almost certainly not share the same species list. There would be no logic to such an approach.
rockynz

Post by rockynz »

Love my. 17HMR :D

Return to “General Chat”