17 HMR lever,.. Will the new bullet serve it justice?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
gas56
Outfitter

17 HMR lever,.. Will the new bullet serve it justice?

Post by gas56 »

With the problems I have with WRR game crashing,.. I have been on the map a lot more lately and also hunting it a lot more (that is until it crashes).
I picked up the 17 HMR last week to do a little bit of rabbit & fox hunting, You know kill 2 birds with one stone kind of rifle, taking a break in just using a bow on them.
But I had heard the scoffing of the inadequacies for harvesting Fox with the rifle,.. on the forums,.. and after shooting a few foxes and chasing them around the map
and I would surely agree entirely at this point & time.
But now a new bullet is going to be released and hopefully one that performs a whole lot better on dispatching foxes.
This one I don't quite understand though because a 17 HMR is a high velocity type of round and should kill a fox just like a small lap dog toy poodle kind of animal.
On the new box (as seen in the SU) it says .17 HMR HV........ is this a funny?
If they wanted a stronger hitting .17 cal they should have just made the .17 WSM (Winchester Super Magnum) rifle instead in the first place,
or made the .17 HMR to damage foxes more than it does now, or why put them on the allowable list if it has problems taking them out?
Anyways,... it almost caught me exactly ATM when I thought I had gotten a dud of a rifle until right afterwards of the news of the new bullet to be released,
and so I may get the chance to see if the problem is rectified in the game. Hopefully real soon.
IRL a .17 HMR shoots like a laser and takes small animals out without them running across the countryside, and if they do run it isn't very far.
I sure would like to put a better scope on this small rifle also in the game,.. I mean isn't there supposed to be variety and quality for attachments such a scopes and scope mounts?
Have you ever heard of the old saying "you get what you pay for"? But it is usually because you have the options of buying a lot of different stuff and are not so limited?
Seifer
Hunter

Re: 17 HMR lever,.. Will the new bullet serve it justice?

Post by Seifer »

I hope it does! Anxiously awaiting the new ammo. The only thing I use it on now is rabbits and turkeys and I have to go out of my way to use it when I feel like it. As it is now it takes like 5 rounds to put down a bobcat :roll: as has been my experience with it. Fingers crossed the new ammo will make it relevant!
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I had heard all the bad news boys complaining about how poor the 17 was against foxes. But I went ahead and bought one any way.
Slapped the 12 power scope on it and headed into the woods.
Found it to be great for rabbits and birds so I decided it was time to try a fox or two.
So far I have 80% success rate. Specifically out of 5 foxes 4 died instantly, .. and one is still running. Even Doc was not sure if I actually hit that one.
There was a small spot of body blood at the position where I shot him but from there on only wide spaced fleeing tracks and no more blood. Not the first 4 or 5 close spaced blood tracks one would have expected.
So at this point I'm not sure about this gun.
The ammo doesn't sound like a High velocity round. While the trajectory seems to fit a high velocity profile, it sounds more like a subsonic. Maybe that's why the devs have labeled the new round as high velocity.
I suppose I will just have to wait and see what the new ammo brings.

Oh, just a little hint. I shot all my instant kill foxes in the neck at under 30 m. They all had the neck bone taken out. The one that got away was out at 160m. Same aim point.
Maybe he just moved a little.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

Im not sure about this rifle tbh, i have it, its fun for geese but IRL people use them for coyotes and drop them with a headshot at 100m+ and in game a fox half the weight runs over 1km with a shot at 10m right into the chest.

This is on a fox but its at 135 yards with a 17hmr and it drops like a rock:
https://youtu.be/XEDzju-KJEQ

This is a video of someone even shooting a pig with the 17hmr and it drops like it was shot with a 308.
https://youtu.be/yU23w9YllYM
Nathan22Outdoors
ballester_molina
Spotter

Post by ballester_molina »

Nathan112244 wrote: but IRL people use them for coyotes and drop them with a headshot at 100m+ and
IRL poachers (not people) use .22 to drop moose with a headshot. My point is that it is not about able/unable to kill. It is about ethical harvesting.

Is .17 enough for solid result on coyote? I really doubt about that.

I know it is only a game, so i would like to have no restrictions at all!
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

ballester_molina wrote: Is .17 enough for solid result on coyote? I really doubt about that.
It really depends on where you are. I have hunted yotes from Texas to Minnesota & there are significant size differences. In Texas I would guess the average weight was around 20lbs & IMO a 17 would be fine on them. In fact I used a Remington 700 BDL in 17 Remington to shoot them (significantly higher velocity then the 17HMR). However hunting in Minnesota was a different thing entirely! In MN average body weight was around 40lbs (yes twice as big, in fact when I 1st spotted them I thought they were wolves) & the 17 Remington's didnt do nearly as well dropping them. I stepped up to a Ruger #1 in 22-250.

Coyotes are a nuisance species so IMO everything should be ethical to shoot them.

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Oh, just a little hint. I shot all my instant kill foxes in the neck at under 30 m. They all had the neck bone taken out. The one that got away was out at 160m. Same aim point. Maybe he just moved a little.
Well yeah,.. I figured that's how you would take them at close ranges,...
but the reason I got the rifle was so I could have a little more distance shooting them,.... and using a bow is as slow as you go. I am very impatient waiting for a fox to get to me........
But I like it a lot on rabbits,.. the distance doesn't matter they kill over just like the way they should.
After shooting foxes a long time with the .223 and the way it dispatches them it's hard to take the 17 HMR out in the game and expect great results,..
but I have a feeling that's why they're making this new round...
it gets pretty old when you have to carry a separate gun for a lot of species,.. especially small game.

A shotgun is allowable and works right? as long as you use birdshot on rabbits, and buckshot on fox,
I thought saving fox pelts were saved by most hunters to keep them in the best possible condition,..well not so much anymore with all the synthetic materials.
but in the game it's just a killing factor,.. but could you really imagine what the fox pelt would look like after using buckshot on it................. :lol:
I don't think they really have a clue.............. ;)
Theocrates

Post by Theocrates »

The 17 HMR loses a lot of energy after 150m but up until then should drop a fox or rabbit stone dead.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

I guess the new round will be permitted for the two different foxes and the bobcat. They said it will be added to the current one. I wonder if the current one still will be able to shoot fox and bobcat, after the release of the new one.
Ringolf
Spotter

Post by Ringolf »

That's what I was asking myself, will the new ammo only be allowed for two species? Or will it overlap a bit more with the current ammo?

We will see, I guess. Hopefully it will be useful for the new species, as well :)

Return to “General Chat”