Tip here your bet about the new animal!

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Re: Tip here your bet about the new animal!

Post by INTIMID883R »

Magpie Geese With all the surveys, polls and request I have seen in all these years, I do not recall haven ever seen anyone ask for Magpie Geese. I have seen Snow Geese asked for but not this one. I guess my question is just where did these honkers come from. Why once again did EW not listen to the Community and give us something at least was somewhere on the list of animals wanted.
Spoiler:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Well, there is a big difference between Hirsch and PB, in hirsch you have very large open fields to visually hunt boars, reds, pheasants, roe and foxes, so its more forgiving. But in PB the topography and the wall of grass, plants, trees and tree roots and overall environment make it a more close encounter kind of hunt, where you need depend less in visual and more in your ears to hear that footsteps of some big animal coming close trough the trees, if you add an annoying geese sound all around it gonna make a lot of players forsake that reserve.

I think it gonna get divided into two groups, the ones willing to endure the noise in exchange to hunt the big buffalo, and those that will turn PB into a waterfowl only reserve, like RB. I would have prefer a goose species that were fit to Hirsch, after all that already have the geese and we are used to the sound for good or bad.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Thoke2014
Scout

Post by Thoke2014 »

Now that the Magpie geese are added I feel like we couldn't go to this but a solution I've always seen to this problem is make a reserve just for waterfowl and keep them there and only there. That way they wouldn't get in anyones way when hunting bigger game and if you hunted on the waterfowl map you would be ready for the noise. Right now a lot of the bird species (ducks, geese, ptarmigans) feel like a nuisance unless you're targeting them specifically and I've never seen that as completely right. I know this game isn't glued tight to reality but how many people hunt waterfowl and big game in the same hunt or have to be worried about spooking a flock of geese when stalking a roe deer, it just doesn't make sense.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

VonStratos wrote:if you add an annoying geese sound all around it gonna make a lot of players forsake that reserve.
To be honest I thought that map was already forsaken.
Thoke2014 wrote:Now that the Magpie geese are added I feel like we couldn't go to this but a solution I've always seen to this problem is make a reserve just for waterfowl and keep them there and only there. That way they wouldn't get in anyones way when hunting bigger game and if you hunted on the waterfowl map you would be ready for the noise. Right now a lot of the bird species (ducks, geese, ptarmigans) feel like a nuisance unless you're targeting them specifically and I've never seen that as completely right. I know this game isn't glued tight to reality but how many people hunt waterfowl and big game in the same hunt or have to be worried about spooking a flock of geese when stalking a roe deer, it just doesn't make sense.
I completely agree with you, good idea!
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Zarpa
Tracker

Post by Zarpa »

Thoke2014 wrote:Now that the Magpie geese are added I feel like we couldn't go to this but a solution I've always seen to this problem is make a reserve just for waterfowl and keep them there and only there.
This.
An exclusive reserve for waterfowl (and perhaps small game too) would be a nice idea to keep everyone happy.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

I don't know if it is because I grew up in a noisy family with a brother and sister who do not stop talking, but I must be one of the lucky ones that can blank a noise out completely after awhile. I don't even notice the geese or Ptarmigans anymore, unless I am after them of course :D

Interesting thoughts on the matter, I guess we will see when they are released how popular they will be! They are pretty awesome birds though, I did not even know they existed!

Cheers all have a good weekend! I think next time I will have to make the hints tougher ;)

TK!
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

This going to ba so much fun....

Feeding

Large, noisy flocks of up to a few thousand birds
congregate to feed on aquatic vegetation. The Magpie Goose is a specialized feeder with wild rice, Oryza, Paspalum, Panicum and spike-rush, Eleocharis, forming the bulk of its diet.
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

It was just a lot easier to make a re-skin of the Canada Goose and tweak it a little. Not much in development costs. Pretty much the same as Roosevelt Elk cows, Red Deer hinds,
and RME cows. Pretty much the same model, just tweaked a bit. Colors are different, faces are pretty much the same.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

or have to be worried about spooking a flock of geese when stalking a roe deer, it just doesn't make sense.
I don't know about the Roe deer, but in the area I hunt, you spook the local geese & you might just as well have a picnic (but you'll still have to find another spot because there is Goose sh!t everywhere). Everything in the area is on alert now.
The property I hunt on is next to the river so I hear geese, on & off, all the while I'm there, just like hunting Hirsch, so it doesn't phase me.
Back in the days when we would hunt small game around here it was always cool to be walking in a frosty field of corn stubble & hear the geese flying over.
I like the occasional goose hunt in this game, I don't mind the noise overhead while hunting something else (it just seems to have the right feel), but in real life....other than seeing them where they should be - on the water or flying overhead - I HATE those feathery, dysentery riddled, flapping, "get the hell out of my way" worthless critters. They are everywhere. There is a little bitty puddle of a pond in front of a strip mall, maybe 1000 gallons, & there is about 80-100 geese gathered around it. About 2 miles from the river is another strip mall, no pond or other water, but a nice big section of land waiting to be developed - if they can get the 14 tons of geese to move.
Sorry, a little bit of a meltdown there,....
Having to try & sneak around them in the game, to go after a different animal just adds another challenge to a game that many people complain about being too easy (call - wait - kill). Hearing them fly overhead while walking through the forest or field, brings immersion into play, that so many people complain that just isn't there for one reason or another. Does the calling seem to be over exaggerated, not when I look up & see 20 of them, when I know that (around here at least) 3 of them sound like 30 & 30 of them sounds like they are the only other creature on the face of the earth, other than yourself.
Bottom line is, it's not the new animal I would have preferred, but it is the new animal, it's my choice if I hunt it or not, same as it is yours. It's a new feature that is designed to create more revenue, & that's what keeps the lights on. Churning out a new gun every week isn't going to pay the bills, but tweaking an existing animal for a different map (with different camo requirements) is going to stand a better chance of drawing in more cash. New blinds, new decoys, new calls..... = $$$.Creating the Axis deer, for example, might only take a little tweaking of an existing deer, but what kind of cash do you get in return? A new caller won't even supply the team with a month of Red Bull (I'm guessing).
Don't like them, don't hunt them. Can't stand the noise, try to ignore it - hell I've been trying to ignore that racket the Roe deer makes for years, as well as the excessive noise created from walking or crouch walking (good luck trying to get the noises adjusted)(seriously, good luck).
....and I know the mob mentality will bash me because the only opinion wanted is the sour one, but it is still an opinion, like it or not.

I always get a chuckle out of checking the stats on the people that complain the most about a new gun or animal & see that they are using the hell out of it, it's that thing about chasing the expensive Hunterscore, isn't it? :lol: (leave the lights on when you make your exit though, please)
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

stancomputerhunter wrote:It was just a lot easier to make a re-skin of the Canada Goose and tweak it a little. Not much in development costs. Pretty much the same as Roosevelt Elk cows, Red Deer hinds,
and RME cows. Pretty much the same model, just tweaked a bit. Colors are different, faces are pretty much the same.
This model was built from ground up stan :) The models are actually very different. Once we can get them side by side in a trophy lodge it should become much clearer :) It is amazing watching how they build all the animals!

Return to “General Chat”