Tip here your bet about the new animal!

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: Tip here your bet about the new animal!

Post by stancomputerhunter »

gas56 wrote:I don't mind getting a new bird,.......... I just hope it is put on a map that it will work right.......... :D
That is the key! Not in the trees!! How many quail hunters would ever have hunted them in the trees?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

Radamus wrote: I love seeing this admission of reality :lol: .. anyone who says they didn't jump out of their pants is fibbing and never hunted them. I remember actually seeing the ground move by my boots as a covey blasted out in every direction - I thought of a good way to visualize it- fire off a pack of bottle rockets with the sticks snapped off and imagine tennis balls with wings with the flight characteristics of a hummingbird and you got quail :lol:

There's no quail around here anymore, or at least very rare because of the BLizzard of 78' - That storm killed off all the quail, turkey and pheasants (all the game birds), sadly they were all smothered and it's taken a long time to fix through stocking efforts. Pheasants are doing OK, Turkey are thriving but the coyotes are getting so bad a pheasant is kind of rare anymore.
:lol:
I couldn't help the "admission of reality", it's really hard to explain all of the racket they make, but it really was exhilarating. Almost like, but not quite as bad as, walking through 40 acres of corn stubble & not seeing one Pheasant. Then you get to that last few feet before the ditch & they all blow up cackling.
I grew up hunting rabbits, squirrels & pheasants. It was great. Only hunted over dogs (for rabbits) a couple of times & really didn't care for it. I remember hearing the Quail at dusk but rarely ever saw any around this area. Lots of people blame the lack of gravel roads for the lack of pheasants... :roll: I think that's a big stretch. I think it has more to do with the fields being 6 inches from the roads. No ditches anymore.
We do have a lot of turkeys, we can easily count 60-80 of them walking single file thru a little strip of field between a fence row & our woods. I'm always happy to see the occasional rabbit in those woods. Coyotes are a problem.
Sometimes the Ptarmigan in the game remind me of the Quail... a little bit. No where near as startling, that would be fun if they could pull it off.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hey Guys and Gals,

Clue number two is now out.

One part of this short clip is a hint, the other is still relevant, but a little misleading. Which is the misleading clue, and which is the correct one? Its up to you to work it out :)

Good Luck,

TK
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

snow goose
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Difinetly sounds like geese.
Code: Select all
Wetland
Outfitter

Post by Wetland »

I agree them are GEESE! Sure hope that's what it is. he he

Wetland
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I'll second that! and here's 3.5 hours of Snow geese and flowers to make your day go a lot slower :D
I'm glad it's geese! *if that's what it is* Certainly not quail or grouse - I think there was a lot of votes for another goose after we got all the extra ducks so this was an easy one! But lets see if they pull a fast one on us and stick them on another reserve besides Hirsch- Wouldn't surprise me in the least- but if they did, ... oh boy, get ready for the bashing :shock:

"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
greylaghunter
Scout

Post by greylaghunter »

certainly sounds like snow geese but what reserve would they be coming into layout blinds would be great too
dmbHunter7
Spotter

Post by dmbHunter7 »

I must have missed where they've stated that the bird will be huntable. Maybe the "next animal" will be a Bird of Prey that we can use when hunting. Either an Eagle, Hawk or Falcon. That would add to the hunting experience. Especially, when hunting small to medium game. The Second clue might be Geese warning others that a Bird of Prey is flying nearby.
Ringolf
Spotter

Post by Ringolf »

nachthexe wrote:Difinetly sounds like geese.
Either this or the sound is the misleading part TK was talking about. The sound might then refer to the reserve, maybe, which would be the only reserve that currently has geese.

Return to “General Chat”