9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle - Feedback

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
ballester_molina
Spotter

Re: 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle - Feedback

Post by ballester_molina »

Wetland wrote:I really like the New Rifle, but would prefer a Scope like the .30R has and the sound seemed a little weaker than I wished it had. I also prefer the looks of the .30R so may still keep that as my No.1 Weapon.

Wetland
Yes, it looks ugly and cheap compared to the .30R.Just look at the wooden furniture ! It has sharp edges.Looks like it is made of different parts from several rifles.EW could make better job on that.

http://prntscr.com/j0wes2

Just look at the fore-end! IRL manufacturers make rifles with this no-match wooden and metal edges?
Last edited by ballester_molina on April 4th, 2018, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Thanks for the speedy video Ron, probably will buy it, when I get over the 7x64 bolt action trauma.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Just got the gun. Haven't shot it yet, but will shortly go see how it performs.
The only thing that makes no sense is the allowable list on the rifle in the store,...
since when did coyotes become a small game animal?
Goats are bigger than coyotes?...........
don't make me laugh.............. :lol:
Coyotes kill goats, deer, medium game and every little small game animal they can catch.
But in no way considered to being a small game animal itself.
That is where it is included with in the game.
Oh and also with bobcats............. :roll:
This rifle should be a big game gun only... with a well thought out allowable list.
IMO
Last edited by gas56 on April 4th, 2018, 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

ronMctube wrote:here is my review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-r4zt3mmhE
Nice clip. I don't know when but the permitted species list doesn't include Coyote anymore, as you say it does in the clip.

Edit: I just realized that you've had this rifle since at least 2018-03-28 so ofc it was permitted for coyote at that time, one week ago. Reacted when you harvested a bronze egg in the clip and it was just the 4th bronze egg collected. I know you said a couple of days ago that the golden egg was the only one you were missing.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

yes when i had the rifle it was on the permitted list.i did add a disclaimer in the description about coyote.this is the problem if you do a video straight at release.often items are changed at last minute or on release.nothing much you can do about it.flinter done the same on his review.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Trying the rifle now and it does remind you a lot of the .30R. I can't even say that it seems stronger. I do like it. I do like the .30R too. They're both killers. Simply needs more testing. :D
Edit: It has a bit more penetration than the .30R. It also has a bit more bullet drop, very similar to the bullet drop of the 9.3x62.
Last edited by Generalkommendant on April 4th, 2018, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schrider

Post by Schrider »

Generalkommendant wrote:
Zarpa wrote:In my opinion the whole "Permitted species system" should be reworked. It was designed for a short list of weapons and it was a good concept. But it's not working anymore and with every gun it adds more inconsistecies.

Edit: Amazing work with the new gun. A bit disapointed with the sound but it's ok.
I think it's easily fixed actually, but I still agree with you.

Here's what they should do to add sense to it all:

Cross Bison OR Coyote from the list regarding the .300, the 7mm, the 8x57IS and the 9.3x62. (IMO - Take away Bison from the 7mm, and take away Coyote from the rest).
Add Bison OR Coyote to the list regarding the .30R. (IMO - Add Bison and also Banteng).

The rest can stay as is and suddenly there's a clear sense to it all. Other than that the 9.3x74R has a bit more advantage to the permitted species list compared to the rest.
If we look at the 30 blaser rimmed IRL, it's more of a plains game cartridge than a "big game" cartridge, i'd remove it for bison, stick it onto coyote, and keep the 9.3x74R for the big game - and keep it's current bottom end the same - it's actualy almost the same power as the 9.3x62, and the 9.3x62 is a permitted elephant cartridge in many places, even though it's below the minimum of 375 H&H or .375 caliber in those same places

As for the 7mm Rem mag, i'd be fine with it being removed from bison, actualy just bought the 7mm break action and used it on bison, and it works decently well, it just feels like using a .284 bullet on bison is being a little under gunned

i'd leave 9.3x62 on the list for bison, and infact expand it upward to water buffalo and banteneg, it's within spitting distance of the power of 9.3x74R - those two should have the same species list IMO

8mm Mauser / 8x57IS i can definately see being dropped from bison/banteneg, it's substantialy below the power of all the other cartridges permited for them

.300 win mag could stay for bison/banteneg, it's a very versitile round IRL, and i dont have a problem with it's very generous species list - it can be loaded from 30-06 levels to take anything you'd take a 30-06 with, and loaded up to chucking 220-250 gr pills into big game at close range, or loaded up to send 180-220 gr pills further, and flatter than a 30-06
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Schrider wrote:
Generalkommendant wrote:
Zarpa wrote:In my opinion the whole "Permitted species system" should be reworked. It was designed for a short list of weapons and it was a good concept. But it's not working anymore and with every gun it adds more inconsistecies.

Edit: Amazing work with the new gun. A bit disapointed with the sound but it's ok.
I think it's easily fixed actually, but I still agree with you.

Here's what they should do to add sense to it all:

Cross Bison OR Coyote from the list regarding the .300, the 7mm, the 8x57IS and the 9.3x62. (IMO - Take away Bison from the 7mm, and take away Coyote from the rest).
Add Bison OR Coyote to the list regarding the .30R. (IMO - Add Bison and also Banteng).

The rest can stay as is and suddenly there's a clear sense to it all. Other than that the 9.3x74R has a bit more advantage to the permitted species list compared to the rest.
:arrow: I can agree with you Shrider. And for the sake of the disputed "game balance" I will fill in the following:

If we look at the 30 blaser rimmed IRL, it's more of a plains game cartridge than a "big game" cartridge, i'd remove it for bison, stick it onto coyote, and keep the 9.3x74R for the big game - and keep it's current bottom end the same - it's actualy almost the same power as the 9.3x62, and the 9.3x62 is a permitted elephant cartridge in many places, even though it's below the minimum of 375 H&H or .375 caliber in those same places

Then add Coyote to the .30R.

As for the 7mm Rem mag, i'd be fine with it being removed from bison, actualy just bought the 7mm break action and used it on bison, and it works decently well, it just feels like using a .284 bullet on bison is being a little under gunned

Absolutely. If the .30R (which feels very powerful in-game) isn't permitted for Bison nor should the 7mm be.

i'd leave 9.3x62 on the list for bison, and infact expand it upward to water buffalo and banteneg, it's within spitting distance of the power of 9.3x74R - those two should have the same species list IMO

I have no objections for the upward expansion. But then take it off from Coyote for the, again, sake of "game balance".

8mm Mauser / 8x57IS i can definately see being dropped from bison/banteneg, it's substantialy below the power of all the other cartridges permited for them

Sure.

.300 win mag could stay for bison/banteneg, it's a very versitile round IRL, and i dont have a problem with it's very generous species list - it can be loaded from 30-06 levels to take anything you'd take a 30-06 with, and loaded up to chucking 220-250 gr pills into big game at close range, or loaded up to send 180-220 gr pills further, and flatter than a 30-06

Yes, indeed. And it's my favourite round in-game. But, once again, for the sake of the "game balance" it should be crossed out for Coyote.
All I'm trying to do here is to make a statement that there's no consistency in the permitted species list in-game otherwise.
Schrider

Post by Schrider »

yeah, the permitted species list is pretty funky at times, and could definately go with an overhaul, but i'd say for the sake of consistancy, given the 30R and .300 win mag are both in the same ballpark for power and same bore diameter, they should get the same species list, so i'd drop both from bison/banteneg, and stick coyote on the list for both - although IRL i'd be hard pressed in my area to find anybody advocating the hunting of yotes with anything bigger than a .270 or 7mm rem mag - the cutoff for them should be bore diameters below .300, regardless of power factor

in the world of professional hunters and guides, i'm not aware of any that would advocate the use of 32 caliber or smaller rounds on big game - most would stick staunchly to "medium bore" cartridges being a must for big game - bores in diameter between .333 / .338 up to .40 cals, where "big bore" rounds begin, and with that i'd say anything below a .333 shouldnt be on the lists for big game (bison/banteneg and up) even with 250 gr pills, a 300 win mag or 300 rum would be seen as inadequate for the dangerous game shot on thick skinned and dangerous game, which the bison and banteneg definately fall under as large bovids, small bore (less than and including .323 dia bullets) just dont have enough sectional density to be ideal

i guess with that said, and to reflect reality, coyotes should be dropped from anying .300 dia or larger, and bison/banteneg, and the great bears (not black bear) should have anything lower than a medium bore cartridge dropped from the permited species list - and you'd wind up with what i feel would be good game balance - each caliber being permitted in game for species they'd be used on in reality would create its own very natural balance.

Anyways, back to the 9.3x74R, i need to go shoot some bison and moose with it, those are good benchmarks for how well a gun performs imo, and i expect it will do a absolutely fantastic job of it given how i could drop bison with the 9.3x62
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

25 shots, 25 kills Brown Bears easy at 180+m....enough said.
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

Return to “General Chat”