9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle - Feedback

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
ballester_molina
Spotter

Re: 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle - Feedback

Post by ballester_molina »

So, in the end, what i really dislike in this rifle :

1) fore-end wood doesn't match to the metal reciever.It looks ugly, I really hope EW would redone this model, so it would look nice and slik, as it should be.
2) shot sound is awful
3) wider scope selection(but i realy like this new scope)
BuckWill
Spotter

Post by BuckWill »

Schrider wrote:yeah, the permitted species list is pretty funky at times, and could definately go with an overhaul, but i'd say for the sake of consistancy, given the 30R and .300 win mag are both in the same ballpark for power and same bore diameter, they should get the same species list, so i'd drop both from bison/banteneg, and stick coyote on the list for both - although IRL i'd be hard pressed in my area to find anybody advocating the hunting of yotes with anything bigger than a .270 or 7mm rem mag - the cutoff for them should be bore diameters below .300, regardless of power factor

in the world of professional hunters and guides, i'm not aware of any that would advocate the use of 32 caliber or smaller rounds on big game - most would stick staunchly to "medium bore" cartridges being a must for big game - bores in diameter between .333 / .338 up to .40 cals, where "big bore" rounds begin, and with that i'd say anything below a .333 shouldnt be on the lists for big game (bison/banteneg and up) even with 250 gr pills, a 300 win mag or 300 rum would be seen as inadequate for the dangerous game shot on thick skinned and dangerous game, which the bison and banteneg definately fall under as large bovids, small bore (less than and including .323 dia bullets) just dont have enough sectional density to be ideal

i guess with that said, and to reflect reality, coyotes should be dropped from anying .300 dia or larger, and bison/banteneg, and the great bears (not black bear) should have anything lower than a medium bore cartridge dropped from the permited species list - and you'd wind up with what i feel would be good game balance - each caliber being permitted in game for species they'd be used on in reality would create its own very natural balance.

Anyways, back to the 9.3x74R, i need to go shoot some bison and moose with it, those are good benchmarks for how well a gun performs imo, and i expect it will do a absolutely fantastic job of it given how i could drop bison with the 9.3x62
Actually a smaller bore with equal grain bullet has the higher sectional density. That’s why you see the 6.5 so popular. A 140 gr .264 will out penetrate and carry its energy longer than a .277 or .284 with similar bullet weight. Obviously bullet construction plays into it but a lot of african PH prefer the heavy for caliber bullet for this reason. The smaller density with the high SD allows for better penetration.
Schrider

Post by Schrider »

I shouldnt have used only SD in my earlier post though, to do so was a simplification, and there's always a myriad of reasons for why some game should be taken which some cartridges, and to imply that less than and including .323 dia is inadequate for dangerous game, wasnt so much based entirely on SD alone, but also in sheer mass and momentum of the bullet. It's pretty much never the case that any problem can be reduced to just SD, BC, FPS, or FTLBS.

Sectional density is only half of the equation on very large animals though, heavy for caliber bullets in small diameters are good for penetration through flesh, heavy for caliber bullets in large diameters have much more momentum, and having a larger mass allows them to not only penetrate better on larger game - thick skinned, or dangerous ones, it also provides better results against bone, which is part of the reason why large, heavy, bullets, in medium or big bore guns, are prefered for dangerous game - the dangerous game shot involves shooting through a large shoulder blade, bone, and ribs - i agree completely with you on the 6.5x55 and other 6.5 cartridges having very good SD, but it doesnt make them an exceptionaly good choice against some game where sheer bullet mass is also important. In addition, heavy big bore bullets also deeply penetrate even when they're soft points or hollow points due to the momentum from the mass behind the expanded head - something that's difficult for the smaller bores.
OldMM1966
Scout

Post by OldMM1966 »

Generalkommendant wrote:
ballester_molina wrote:And again - not permittet for coyotes.There's always a 'catch'.
P\S Don't like the sound.Sounds like a .30R.And safety switch is kinda loud.
So they finally changed the permitted species list to add some consistency. At the last day. Well, if the .30 R couldn't get permitted for neither bison or coyote then the 9.3x74 definately shouldn't be able to shoot coyotes.
Now they just have to cross coyotes from the permitted species list regarding the following rounds: The .300, the 7mm, the 8x57IS and the 9.3x62. All of these can shoot bison and also coyotes - which I guess they shouldn't be able to if there were any kind of sense to it.
Coyotes are considered a nuisance species, many areas in the U.S. have offered bounties on them due to overpopulation and the threat they present to livestock and game animals. Doesn't matter how you killed it, as long as it is dead you collect the bounty.
Coyotes should be permitted species for any weapon that will kill it.
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

Looks nice. Not sure I need it since I have the .30 R and several big game guns. The main thing keeping me from buying it is the scope with its thick neon crosshairs. Why can’t it mount the .30R scope!? No reason. Just to make more money. I’d probably buy it if it shared scopes.
Pupic
Hunter

Post by Pupic »

Regarding this new rifle feedback, unless it gets a different scope (different reticle) i will not buy it. I don`t expect allowing us to use already existing scopes, but creating a different scope with commonly used (e.g. German #4 or wide duplex) reticle for those that prefers it should not be a problem. (all the years here taught me different, but still.... :D )

Off topic...
Some of the posts here.... :)
I newer knew something flies out of that virtual barrel. Or that it has weight, length or diameter.
9x.3x74R is "ideal for bringing down medium to large game".... simple as that, setting up how the certain type (or size) of pixel made animal is reacting to a mouse click. Yes, there could be some calculations and settings to get it as close to outcome we expect to see IRL... but really i cant see a reason for overthinking this so much. ;)
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I have just rolled over 50 kills with the new 9.3 x 74 R.
The first thing I have noticed is that I am getting a lot more runners with this gun than I get with the 30R.
The main reason for this lies with the scope being lower powered than the 12 power I use on the 30 R.
At medium ranges it works fine but for Sambhur it is not possible to see the animal clearly enough over 180m to make a precise placement.
the 30 R with the 12 power allows me to put the bullet right where it needs to be but with the 9.3 rig it gets to be much more a matter of guese-work and luck, as you cant see the animal clearly enough through the gaps in the foliage to make a precision shot.
There is also a little more drop out at 180 yards plus than what is evident with the 30 R.
Personally I'm a little disappointed, I had hoped this would be the only gun I would need to carry given its permitted coverage of all deer species and the inclusion of all the big game, but for my type of hunting I may revert to using the 30R and the 340 on Piccabeen . They are way more a more precise tools.
I can only hope that a higher power scope can be added which would probably solve the problem and give us a gun that will then perform way better than it does at the moment and allow it to reach its full potential.
Plenty of power and penetration and great field of view for big slow moving animals at point blank to medium ranges, but with the current scope its a bit stretched for precise shooting on smaller faster animals at longer ranges.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

Schrider wrote:yeah, the permitted species list is pretty funky at times, and could definately go with an overhaul, but i'd say for the sake of consistancy, given the 30R and .300 win mag are both in the same ballpark for power and same bore diameter, they should get the same species list, so i'd drop both from bison/banteneg, and stick coyote on the list for both - although IRL i'd be hard pressed in my area to find anybody advocating the hunting of yotes with anything bigger than a .270 or 7mm rem mag - the cutoff for them should be bore diameters below .300, regardless of power factor

in the world of professional hunters and guides, i'm not aware of any that would advocate the use of 32 caliber or smaller rounds on big game - most would stick staunchly to "medium bore" cartridges being a must for big game - bores in diameter between .333 / .338 up to .40 cals, where "big bore" rounds begin, and with that i'd say anything below a .333 shouldnt be on the lists for big game (bison/banteneg and up) even with 250 gr pills, a 300 win mag or 300 rum would be seen as inadequate for the dangerous game shot on thick skinned and dangerous game, which the bison and banteneg definately fall under as large bovids, small bore (less than and including .323 dia bullets) just dont have enough sectional density to be ideal

i guess with that said, and to reflect reality, coyotes should be dropped from anying .300 dia or larger, and bison/banteneg, and the great bears (not black bear) should have anything lower than a medium bore cartridge dropped from the permited species list - and you'd wind up with what i feel would be good game balance - each caliber being permitted in game for species they'd be used on in reality would create its own very natural balance.

Anyways, back to the 9.3x74R, i need to go shoot some bison and moose with it, those are good benchmarks for how well a gun performs imo, and i expect it will do a absolutely fantastic job of it given how i could drop bison with the 9.3x62
Can't disagree with you Schrider but there's a big BUT.
When I'm talking about "game balance" I'm talking the EW language. That is the balance between the rifles next to each other in-game. Regarding IRL and calibers and so on... That train is looong gone. So the permitted species list should consist of some pros and cons equally troughout the list of available guns.
The 7mm and the .30R are prime examples, when compared next to each other in-game, that there's definately something very wrong.
Wetland
Outfitter

Post by Wetland »

I totally AGREE with what Danthemanboone posted above. My thoughts exactly!

Wetland
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

This rifle has alot of power, but it doesn't take down hogs like you would think.. i kinda feel like the .30 R is better for pigs then this but for the largest species list this rifle is great
Nathan22Outdoors

Return to “General Chat”