9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle - Feedback

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
ArwenerI
Spotter

Re: 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle - Feedback

Post by ArwenerI »

bullet travels so slow,dont to mention the bullet drop over 100m. Advertised as the allmighty ''buffalo killer'' and all of us waited for it to get release and now can barely penetrate a double lung moose and even you manage to get double lung it will die in about 7-9 sec not to mention lung shot at bisons in 1.40 min(not even close to 45-70 or 340).30R is way faster and can easily drop moose on the spot with double lung even at 150m+.Im very dissapointed with the new 9.3. i thought 9.3 was the reason EW increased water buffalo's hp so 9.3 would be the one that would do the job in any distance not in 20m.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

ArwenerI wrote:bullet travels so slow,dont to mention the bullet drop over 100m. Advertised as the allmighty ''buffalo killer'' and all of us waited for it to get release and now can barely penetrate a double lung moose and even you manage to get double lung it will die in about 7-9 sec not to mention lung shot at bisons in 1.40 min(not even close to 45-70 or 340).30R is way faster and can easily drop moose on the spot with double lung even at 150m+.Im very dissapointed with the new 9.3. i thought 9.3 was the reason EW increased water buffalo's hp so 9.3 would be the one that would do the job in any distance not in 20m.

Mate,please use grammar or atleast break up your post.Thats a real nightmare to read.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Final assumption of regular use on the 9.3x74 O/U.
A good shot will put down most big game, except for the biggest animals at 150 meters plus, namely Bison, Moose, & Buffalo.
Mainly the reason is the limited scope,.. of getting an exceptional on target hit. It may take 2 rounds to get the job done if
not lining up for a good hit on the first shot. It is not as a forgiving gun with a bad hit like the more powerful .340 Wbee or 45-70 gov at longer ranges
with their damage and is not in their class. It has the allowable list because it can kill the biggest of game, but a wiser hunter that
will limit his distance with them to repeatedly kill bigger animals if longer shots are taken using slight hold-over will need to be adjusted.
I've put Elk, Sambar, and everything else down at 100-200 meters with a good hit with no problem.
Even if the animal does not kill over on the spot it isn't going far. This gun excels with medium animals and I really like using it for
them, and if I carry it along in PB it is the only gun I need to hunt everything there and is capable of taking the Cows.
Being a double there is no doubt of its fast response of a follow-up shot,.. and a lot IRL hunters use the gun without a scope for closer ranges,
but use the scope in the game, at least to get longer shots with it.
I am really pleased with this rifle for it really does produce well for in its class, aside the .300 mag.
You can't go wrong getting this rifle if you like doubles........... ;)
MaxVe
Scout

Post by MaxVe »

Good weapon with horrible optics, I look forward to new scope ...
jeff1963
Hunter

Post by jeff1963 »

Great rifle so far, just dump the cartoon Reticle on the one scope they allow this rifle.
Thanks, ~Jeff

BuckWill
Spotter

Post by BuckWill »

gas56 wrote:Final assumption of regular use on the 9.3x74 O/U.
A good shot will put down most big game, except for the biggest animals at 150 meters plus, namely Bison, Moose, & Buffalo.
Mainly the reason is the limited scope,.. of getting an exceptional on target hit. It may take 2 rounds to get the job done if
not lining up for a good hit on the first shot. It is not as a forgiving gun with a bad hit like the more powerful .340 Wbee or 45-70 gov at longer ranges
with their damage and is not in their class. It has the allowable list because it can kill the biggest of game, but a wiser hunter that
will limit his distance with them to repeatedly kill bigger animals if longer shots are taken using slight hold-over will need to be adjusted.
I've put Elk, Sambar, and everything else down at 100-200 meters with a good hit with no problem.
Even if the animal does not kill over on the spot it isn't going far. This gun excels with medium animals and I really like using it for
them, and if I carry it along in PB it is the only gun I need to hunt everything there and is capable of taking the Cows.
Being a double there is no doubt of its fast response of a follow-up shot,.. and a lot IRL hunters use the gun without a scope for closer ranges,
but use the scope in the game, at least to get longer shots with it.
I am really pleased with this rifle for it really does produce well for in its class, aside the .300 mag.
You can't go wrong getting this rifle if you like doubles........... ;)
These bigger calibers aren’t meant to be long range guns. I mean nobody in there right mind shoots a Buffalo at 200 yards. It’s unethical and dangerous. Buffaloes ( especially cape buffaloes) get a bit angry when wounded, if it doesn’t kill you or your ph it might kill a local citizen. So take your time and get close and take a broadside shot and kill them with the first shot.
Last edited by BuckWill on May 6th, 2018, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckWill
Spotter

Post by BuckWill »

gas56 wrote:Everything duly noted, from yotes to hogs,.. now back to the guns.............. :lol:
The scope IMO was a pre-advertised item with the 7x64,... and killing two birds with one stone as I got both rifles and knew ahead they used the same scope.
One thing I've really noticed with the 9.3x74R is the higher the skill level the more I like this gun, because when I hold this gun steady, getting prone with it really helps,
I can drop animals out to 200 yards, and I don't think it was the scope holding me back with the accuracy when I first started shooting it.
I am only at level 5 with the rifle, but it is a great improvement from the beginning, and a positive expectation of what this rifle will do when I really get it leveled up even more.
This is what the rifle sounds like.... and check out the kick it has..........enjoy :)
Hope it could be changed to sound like this........... ;)

I wish the 9.3x74R had the same sound as the 9.3x62mm. It’s odd how such a similar caliber would sounds so differently. Same with the 7x64mm and the 7mm.
BuckWill
Spotter

Post by BuckWill »

Griph wrote:They are feral, but not invasive, I’d say, using the standard meanings of these terms. Peccaries (javalina) are native to the Americas. Old world pigs were brought as livestock and have gone feral. Invasive species are species that have been brought un-intentionally, for the most part, and have spread overtaking and displacing native populations, and having a large adverse effect on the environment, which hogs haven’t done. They are a pest, for sure. And they do some damage; but they are not really harmful to the environment or ecosystem. No more so than deer when populations get too large. I was being generous when I said hogs may perhaps deserve the label. Like I said, I see plenty on my land. I see their rub spots and dig spots. The damage they do isn’t lasting, and they don’t really compete with my livestock for browse.

Again, all of this is really beside the point. I’m just overmuch a stickler with labels and averse to justifications. Shoot coyotes and hogs if you want to in RL. The laws allow it. I certainly shoot coyotes that prey on my sheep. And I’ve shot the occasional hog to put in my freezer. Just don’t pretend either is some dangerous species we need to shoot to prevent Armageddon. :-)

Coyotes, at least, get controlled just fine in natural ecosystems. Spreading, as they have, into pretty much every habitat in the US, including large urban areas, is a combination of their adaptability, the destruction of most wolf populations, and our own habits making rodent populations plentiful. Certainly has an effect on some livestock and pets, but doesn’t really threaten any ecosystem. They certainly damage my bottom line! But I have a significant, if grudging, respect for their smarts.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread on a new gun....
Hogs tear up the ground to get at the roots of plants so yes they are destroying the ecosystem and in turn hurting the native species. Invasive doesn’t have to be by accident, people bring these animals in and don’t worry about the repercussions. Not all introduced species are invasive but hogs would be one of them.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

The scopes allowed makes, imo, the .30R a winner in this "battle". Adding to that, the bullet feels just as powerful because of its better penetration, as the 9.3x74R. And it (the .30R) has got a rather flat trajectory, which along with the 12x50 scope and its high power, makes it perfect for longer shots.

So. No, the .30R is not going to be forgotten in a "showdown" between the two. Only if you merely read the store descriptions as a new potential buyer.

Despite the fact that the .30R has been handicapped by EW regarding the permitted species list, it's still the better choice. And a bit OP. And I definitely like that.

I don't regret the purchase of the 9.3x74R. Absolutely not! When my .30R breaks down on me, this will be my best available replacer.

This is based off approximately 1000 shots with them two combined in total.

Return to “General Chat”