9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle - Feedback

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
L3M182
Outfitter

Re: 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle - Feedback

Post by L3M182 »

Yeah I suppose your right. It’s just so toxic in here. Haven’t seen it this bad since the WRR release era.

No smoke without Fire I guess
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

L3M182 wrote:Yeah I suppose your right. It’s just so toxic in here. Haven’t seen it this bad since the WRR release era.

No smoke without Fire I guess
I'm sorry but I feel I must say that I do not see or agree with there being anything toxic in this thread.. Unless you're talking about flatulence of course.. :P
supercelldrw wrote:Might as well change the sound to a farting sound :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, I think this thread is pretty darn chill and informative in fulfilling TreeKiwi's request.
OldMM1966 wrote:
Generalkommendant wrote:
ballester_molina wrote:And again - not permittet for coyotes.There's always a 'catch'.
P\S Don't like the sound.Sounds like a .30R.And safety switch is kinda loud.
So they finally changed the permitted species list to add some consistency. At the last day. Well, if the .30 R couldn't get permitted for neither bison or coyote then the 9.3x74 definately shouldn't be able to shoot coyotes.
Now they just have to cross coyotes from the permitted species list regarding the following rounds: The .300, the 7mm, the 8x57IS and the 9.3x62. All of these can shoot bison and also coyotes - which I guess they shouldn't be able to if there were any kind of sense to it.
Coyotes are considered a nuisance species, many areas in the U.S. have offered bounties on them due to overpopulation and the threat they present to livestock and game animals. Doesn't matter how you killed it, as long as it is dead you collect the bounty.
Coyotes should be permitted species for any weapon that will kill it.
THIS. They are indeed a nuisance species and this is the way I have viewed the yotes' rather long permitted weapons list since first playing the game. I've seen so many ballistics discussions and comparisons to the coyote's weapon list, but I never see this factor taken into account ..until now, thanks to OldMM1966. I think it would be more logical to remove coyotes from just about every weapon power/permitted species discussion and comparison for this reason. I truly think that EW has intentionally been more liberal with coyotes in regards to the weapons permitted to hunt them, rightfully, due their nuisance "status" and the realism/laws on how they may be killed.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

J_Birdman wrote:
OldMM1966 wrote:
Generalkommendant wrote: So they finally changed the permitted species list to add some consistency. At the last day. Well, if the .30 R couldn't get permitted for neither bison or coyote then the 9.3x74 definately shouldn't be able to shoot coyotes.
Now they just have to cross coyotes from the permitted species list regarding the following rounds: The .300, the 7mm, the 8x57IS and the 9.3x62. All of these can shoot bison and also coyotes - which I guess they shouldn't be able to if there were any kind of sense to it.
Coyotes are considered a nuisance species, many areas in the U.S. have offered bounties on them due to overpopulation and the threat they present to livestock and game animals. Doesn't matter how you killed it, as long as it is dead you collect the bounty.
THIS. They are indeed a nuisance species and this is the way I have viewed the yotes' rather long permitted weapons list since first playing the game. I've seen so many ballistics discussions and comparisons to the coyote's weapon list, but I never see this factor taken into account ..until now, thanks to OldMM1966. I think it would be more logical to remove coyotes from just about every weapon power/permitted species discussion and comparison for this reason. I truly think that EW has intentionally been more liberal with coyotes in regards to the weapons permitted to hunt them, rightfully, due their nuisance "status" and the realism/laws on how they may be killed.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you. And I don't doubt you've seen your fair share of discussions about power/ballistics threads.
Problem is that EW announced trough TreeKiwi in the last live stream that they had removed Coyote from the list due to its high power (the 9.3x74R). Since it can be used on Water Buffalo and so on. You know the drill.
But tell me then why oh why the .30R isn't permitted for Coyote when so many rifles, with a higher permission in the species list, are? Take the .300 or 7mm as examples. That's all I'm asking 'cause it doesn't make sense to me.
bk91604

Post by bk91604 »

Seifer wrote:Wiki needs fixin if it's not permitted for coyote.
You know we have a legit wiki when this stuff can be pointed out. lol. I just sent a thank you to hoocairs a few days ago for all the stuff he does.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Generalkommendant wrote:
J_Birdman wrote:
OldMM1966 wrote:
I don't think anyone disagrees with you. And I don't doubt you've seen your fair share of discussions about power/ballistics threads.
Problem is that EW announced trough TreeKiwi in the last live stream that they had removed Coyote from the list due to its high power (the 9.3x74R). Since it can be used on Water Buffalo and so on. You know the drill.
But tell me then why oh why the .30R isn't permitted for Coyote when so many rifles, with a higher permission in the species list, are? Take the .300 or 7mm as examples. That's all I'm asking 'cause it doesn't make sense to me.
Yep, in this case the yotes are certainly more directly involved in this discussion for more than just the usual permitted weapons comparisons. I probably should have put a disclaimer on my yote comments as they really a side-note. I was just struck by seeing OldMM1966's post because it's the first time I've personally seen anyone bring the "nuisance factor "to the table. Sorry for causing misunderstanding.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Seifer wrote:Wiki needs fixin if it's not permitted for coyote.
Sorry about that and thanks for the note. I removed it for Coyote.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

J_Birdman wrote:Yep, in this case the yotes are certainly more directly involved in this discussion for more than just the usual permitted weapons comparisons. I probably should have put a disclaimer on my yote comments as they really a side-note. I was just struck by seeing OldMM1966's post because it's the first time I've personally seen anyone bring the "nuisance factor "to the table. Sorry for causing misunderstanding.
It's not the first time, or the 2nd, third, well you get my drift............. and everyone doesn't call them a nuisance factor directly, just a "Varmint" which is a nuisance.......... :)
I think most posts like that go into the "thoughts and suggestions" under "weapons" instead of general chat.
It sure was brought up when "small rifle calibers" like the .17 HMR, .17 WSM, .22 Mag, .222 Remington rimless, were suggested for Varmints.
Varmints IMO can be shot with anything.

Varmint | Definition of Varmint
Define varmint: an animal considered a pest; specifically : one classed as vermin and unprotected by game law
— varmint in a sentence
"That varmint is a real nuisance getting into the chicken coop!"
BuckWill
Spotter

Post by BuckWill »

Schrider wrote:I shouldnt have used only SD in my earlier post though, to do so was a simplification, and there's always a myriad of reasons for why some game should be taken which some cartridges, and to imply that less than and including .323 dia is inadequate for dangerous game, wasnt so much based entirely on SD alone, but also in sheer mass and momentum of the bullet. It's pretty much never the case that any problem can be reduced to just SD, BC, FPS, or FTLBS.

Sectional density is only half of the equation on very large animals though, heavy for caliber bullets in small diameters are good for penetration through flesh, heavy for caliber bullets in large diameters have much more momentum, and having a larger mass allows them to not only penetrate better on larger game - thick skinned, or dangerous ones, it also provides better results against bone, which is part of the reason why large, heavy, bullets, in medium or big bore guns, are prefered for dangerous game - the dangerous game shot involves shooting through a large shoulder blade, bone, and ribs - i agree completely with you on the 6.5x55 and other 6.5 cartridges having very good SD, but it doesnt make them an exceptionaly good choice against some game where sheer bullet mass is also important. In addition, heavy big bore bullets also deeply penetrate even when they're soft points or hollow points due to the momentum from the mass behind the expanded head - something that's difficult for the smaller bores.

I agree with what you say about bigger bores preferred for large game. I have read many arguments about heavy for caliber bullets vs velocity or muzzle energy. A heavier bullet will hit harder and carry its energy at longer range allowing better penetration,though a .375 350 gr bullet will out penetrate a .40 or.45 caliber with the same bullet weight. A smaller diameter will meet less resistance and the higher SD allows for a denser bullet that will carry its energy further allowing better penetration.bullet construction and obviously shot placementis is most important. WDM Bell shot over 1000 elephants with a .275 rigby with fun bulkets because he knew the anatomy of an elephant and was a better shot that well almost everyone.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

Well. To get back on topic. And be reminded that it's not IRL.
I find it that it's very easy to subconsciously compare it with the .30R. And I find it to resemble the 9.3x62 Anschütz in-game. There's a very similar bullet trajectory imo. So, unwillingly, I come to think they're alike.
Whereas the .30R is very comparable to the .300. The bullet trajectory (and power). In-game. And as before if I would choose between the 9.3x62 Anschütz and the .300 it would always be the .300.
There's a little better reload animation for the 9.3x74R and the bullets looks awesome when reloading. The scope is a negative factor compared to the .30R.
I'd go for the .30R.
OldMM1966
Scout

Post by OldMM1966 »

Generalkommendant wrote:
J_Birdman wrote:
OldMM1966 wrote:
I agree that it makes no sense, but rather than removing yotes as a permitted species for higher powered weapons they should be added to the list for the .30R, 9.3x74R, and .45-70.

Return to “General Chat”