.340 vs .45-70 vs .405

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: .340 vs .45-70 vs .405

Post by JimboCrow »

RidgeBack69 wrote:Be a man and go head to head with them armed with a recurve. :roll: :roll: :D
:lol: :lol: I tried it a couple of times early on but I kept getting stomped. My timing blows. Right now I'm trying to level up my muzzy, but I'm sure there'll be a mission where I get to try to wet my pants again. :? :oops: :lol:
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

JimboCrow wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote:Be a man and go head to head with them armed with a recurve. :roll: :roll: :D
:lol: :lol: I tried it a couple of times early on but I kept getting stomped. My timing blows. Right now I'm trying to level up my muzzy, but I'm sure there'll be a mission where I get to try to wet my pants again. :? :oops: :lol:
If I can do it you can. Just turn them into unicorns :lol: :lol:
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Nice shot! Was it a planned shot or were you shooting in self defense during a charge?

Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

I own all four. The .45-70 Buffalo. The .45-70 Lever Action. The .405 Lever Action and the .340 Weatherby.

I'll list them in order of my own preference:

1. .340 Weatherby - A real killer. Great penetration. Really powerful and no bullet drop what so ever. Long distance or point-blank, doesn't matter. It's simply the number one.

2. .45-70 Lever Action - It wins over the Buffalo version below due to its fast follow-up shots, 5 round magazine and great options for scopes. This rifle causes real damage. I don't experience any considering bullet drop.

3. .45-70 Buffalo - Feels stronger than the Lever Action version. Maybe due to its longer barrel. I like it alot. Old school and a real cannon. The available scope is with 6x magnification. Often enough. Could actually easy be the number 2 of this list.

4. .405 Lever Action - A cannon. Great damage. If you're close. Long range it sucks imo. Due to bullet drop and the iron sights. Still has its charm of course but it is undoubtedly the last I would choose of this four high power rifles.
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

ronMctube wrote:.340 weatherby for my choice gun.
I agree ron
Spoiler:
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

gas56 wrote:
lmp1986 wrote:Hi,

I'm considering buying one of the above mentioned cannons for dealing with the monsters of Piccabeen Bay. Yesterday I shot a couple of Water Buffalo with the .454 and found the results to be underwhelming.

Now, I'm not asking for things I can read in the store description or deduce from the excellent youtube presentations made by the community. I know what scopes the guns take (or don't take), how they sound, how quick the reload is etc. I don't know how reliable they are at putting down Buffalos, Bisons etc. Is there a significant difference? Are the guns better than the .454 revolver or do I simply need to git gud at shot placement?
You've had plenty of answers & responses,.. and the 454 pistol doesn't do the job well on WB compared to the big rifles.
Usually 3-4 shots to drop them with the 454. Of course I don't like WB to keep running away from me, or doing any tracking so I shoot until they are down just as if IRL.
I agree with the .340 as the go to gun,.. 1 well placed shot and they're going down even at excessive distances.
Use 50cal handgun
Spoiler:
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

SoftShoe wrote:Nice shot! Was it a planned shot or were you shooting in self defense during a charge?
Well I wouldn't say in self defence but thy were charging. Just like Bison except the bison come back for you after you heal.
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

supercelldrw wrote:
gas56 wrote:
lmp1986 wrote:Hi,

I'm considering buying one of the above mentioned cannons for dealing with the monsters of Piccabeen Bay. Yesterday I shot a couple of Water Buffalo with the .454 and found the results to be underwhelming.

Now, I'm not asking for things I can read in the store description or deduce from the excellent youtube presentations made by the community. I know what scopes the guns take (or don't take), how they sound, how quick the reload is etc. I don't know how reliable they are at putting down Buffalos, Bisons etc. Is there a significant difference? Are the guns better than the .454 revolver or do I simply need to git gud at shot placement?
You've had plenty of answers & responses,.. and the 454 pistol doesn't do the job well on WB compared to the big rifles.
Usually 3-4 shots to drop them with the 454. Of course I don't like WB to keep running away from me, or doing any tracking so I shoot until they are down just as if IRL.
I agree with the .340 as the go to gun,.. 1 well placed shot and they're going down even at excessive distances.
Use 50cal handgun
That has nothing to do with his question...... :)
but you never know he may consider it informative.............. ;)
Although I might also consider a 50 cal handgun if it wasn't a BP..........Pooof,... clear smoke away....... :lol:
The one below sometimes throws flames out.............. that I like.......... :D
lmp1986

Post by lmp1986 »

Thanks everyone, I think I have a good idea how the guns compare now. I'm a little torn between the .45-70 lever gun and the Weatherby. The Weatherby seems to be the optimal choice but I don't really own a lever action rifle that I use... Anyway that's a dilemma I'll solve myself (I have a feeling tomorrow may bring a sale on one of the big guns ;) ), you've all been very helpful.

Return to “General Chat”