.340 vs .45-70 vs .405

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
chewik
Outfitter

Re: .340 vs .45-70 vs .405

Post by chewik »

.340, without hesitation ;)
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

.340 is, in my (and many others) opinion(s), the best choice out of the three.
Apart from the objective reasoning (scopes, range, damage, etc), I'd like to add, that it is one of (if not THE) most nicely modeled guns and also has very nice animations.
Add to that an iron sight picture which I really like and you've got an all round nice big game gun.

Since I shoot a lot of open sights at long ranges, I don't much care for the levers.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

.340 no doubt
Nathan22Outdoors
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

MooseHunter330 wrote:.340 is, in my (and many others) opinion(s), the best choice out of the three.
Apart from the objective reasoning (scopes, range, damage, etc), I'd like to add, that it is one of (if not THE) most nicely modeled guns and also has very nice animations.
Add to that an iron sight picture which I really like and you've got an all round nice big game gun.

Since I shoot a lot of open sights at long ranges, I don't much care for the levers.
100% agree its the only rifle that when i look at the caliber matches the look of the gun the best. Also it is the only gun IMO that looks the most like an actual hunting rifle.
The gun looks amazing, everything from the wood satin color to the stock shape.
Nathan22Outdoors
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

lmp1986 wrote:Hi,

I'm considering buying one of the above mentioned cannons for dealing with the monsters of Piccabeen Bay. Yesterday I shot a couple of Water Buffalo with the .454 and found the results to be underwhelming.

Now, I'm not asking for things I can read in the store description or deduce from the excellent youtube presentations made by the community. I know what scopes the guns take (or don't take), how they sound, how quick the reload is etc. I don't know how reliable they are at putting down Buffalos, Bisons etc. Is there a significant difference? Are the guns better than the .454 revolver or do I simply need to git gud at shot placement?
You've had plenty of answers & responses,.. and the 454 pistol doesn't do the job well on WB compared to the big rifles.
Usually 3-4 shots to drop them with the 454. Of course I don't like WB to keep running away from me, or doing any tracking so I shoot until they are down just as if IRL.
I agree with the .340 as the go to gun,.. 1 well placed shot and they're going down even at excessive distances.
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

Yes, the .454 is underwhelming. I like the .45-70 and it is effective against all the big game I've shot. The single shot plains percussion version seems even a bit more powerful, actually. But the .340, in my experience, is just a knock 'em down gun no matter what you shoot it at.
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

JimboCrow wrote: the .340 is a stone cold killer all the way to render.
Oh yeah ;) This thing is a beast :P .340 to quote Killertut "For The Win" :D
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Of these weapons I have only used the .45-70 but I can say I find it a very satisfying weapon to shoot.

I plonked a full review on its thread here, if you haven't seen the thread itself:
http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... e&start=20

It has a pretty high Excellent rating. Looks and sounds good, great scope, very powerful at close range, less so at long range but still 100% accurate out to render, 5-shot ready, etc.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

lmp1986 wrote:Yesterday I shot a couple of Water Buffalo with the .454 and found the results to be underwhelming....

...Are the guns better than the .454 revolver or do I simply need to git gud at shot placement?
Griph wrote:Yes, the .454 is underwhelming.
Regarding the .454, hell yeah, it's useless against WB's. So I bought the new .50 Muzzleloading pistol. BIG difference. Now THAT'S a big game pistol. You still need to place your shots, but they don't bounce off like frozen peas either. Keep the peashooter for Bison, buy the muzzy, and go try to French kiss a WB with it. When the smoke clears (and your heart stops pounding) you'll be elated with the results!
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

JimboCrow wrote:
lmp1986 wrote:Yesterday I shot a couple of Water Buffalo with the .454 and found the results to be underwhelming....

...Are the guns better than the .454 revolver or do I simply need to git gud at shot placement?
Griph wrote:Yes, the .454 is underwhelming.
Regarding the .454, hell yeah, it's useless against WB's. So I bought the new .50 Muzzleloading pistol. BIG difference. Now THAT'S a big game pistol. You still need to place your shots, but they don't bounce off like frozen peas either. Keep the peashooter for Bison, buy the muzzy, and go try to French kiss a WB with it. When the smoke clears (and your heart stops pounding) you'll be elated with the results!
Be a man and go head to head with them armed with a recurve. :roll: :roll: :D
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”