Question about large caliber rifles

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Griph
Spotter

Re: Question about large caliber rifles

Post by Griph »

Ah, thanks for the tip. I hadn’t tried to put a pistol in a weapon slot. I’ll take the .44 with me next time and try it out. I do like pistols, but I don’t hunt with them.
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

the other pouches also don't increase the total carrying capacity, they just unlock more slots for gear. You have to buy backpack, to have total 20 capacity, then the only option is to buy a dog and dogbackpack, it will add another 5.
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

What do you guys think of the scent dogs? I'm not a bird hunter (yet), so am not sure I need a retriever. But I've had a couple of marathon tracking sessions so far, with animals wounded and bleeding, but traveling quite a distance, and crossing their own trails. Made for some significant backtracking a few times to pick up the correct trail. Are the scent dogs good at this? Are they worth it? I'm intrigued if only because of the companionship aspect.

So far, I don't mind just switching things from inventory to a slot when I need them. I use the last open slot to switch between callers and other pieces of equipment. I'll wait to unlock the pouches and holster through score. The amount of time I'm spending in the sim, it shouldn't take too long.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I'd recommend to use the search function for your questions about scent hounds - there's hundreds of threads with thousands of opinions about them out there! :)
Image Image Image
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Griph wrote:What do you guys think of the scent dogs? I'm not a bird hunter (yet), so am not sure I need a retriever. But I've had a couple of marathon tracking sessions so far, with animals wounded and bleeding, but traveling quite a distance, and crossing their own trails. Made for some significant backtracking a few times to pick up the correct trail. Are the scent dogs good at this? Are they worth it? I'm intrigued if only because of the companionship aspect.

So far, I don't mind just switching things from inventory to a slot when I need them. I use the last open slot to switch between callers and other pieces of equipment. I'll wait to unlock the pouches and holster through score. The amount of time I'm spending in the sim, it shouldn't take too long.

There is a lot of debate about the utility of scent dogs, some people hate them and other love them, you will find a lot of info in the Kennel area of the forum but i will resume my personal experience since my dog is already lvl30. The thing is... it wont help with tracking for the first month or so, depends on how long takes you to leveling to 19, dogs need training, and are based in a system of skills that go upgrading with training, kind of similar to the players weapons skill and it will be losing the track constantly at early levels, it turns "good" and i said good not great nor reliable when reach lvl19, then they learn the lvl 2 of Footprint Tracking, but after that it will only improve so if you have the patience to level it it will eventually worth it in the long term, but again at early levels it wont help a damm... so if you are new and still learning to track, chances are that you will be very good at tracking much before your dog becomes a good tracker. But, and this is good, you can use the dog as an extra backpack, so while its in training even if cant track its own tail it can help to carry items, that it is useful indeed, but the whole pack, Dog + dog backpack its almost 1500ems... its your call if that is too much or cheap.

Personally i find more practical get a good rifle with a good sight and practice shoot placement, one good shoot means no need for tracking at all. :)

Here is the dog leveling system explained:
http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Dogs

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

Thanks. I'll do some digging for info on the dogs. Thanks for the link to the wiki.

Just hunted Val de Bois for the first time. Two brown bears and two Roe deer with the 7mm. Excellent gun! So, I wound up getting the .45-70 lever action, the .30R and the 7mm. I'm very happy with the latter two. I guess I need to go hunt Whiterime with the .45-70 to try it out now. And the scopes that came with the 2013 pack fit all three.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

chewik wrote:the other pouches also don't increase the total carrying capacity, they just unlock more slots for gear. You have to buy backpack,...
This might be misleading. Backpack as an item do not give any carrying capacity. It is only for appearance. I bought it not reading the description, because I tought it is obvious it should increase my inventory space. But no, no... :P

This thing increase capacity:
https://www.thehunter.com/#store/item/92
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

Griph wrote: I need to go hunt Whiterime
remember, You will need arctic clothing to go there. just go to the store and "buy" arctic clothes, for free. they are blue, but they are just fine.
Sherab86 wrote:This might be misleading. Backpack as an item do not give any carrying capacity. It is only for appearance. I bought it not reading the description, because I tought it is obvious it should increase my inventory space. But no, no... :P

This thing increase capacity:
https://www.thehunter.com/#store/item/92
well, when I started playing the game, You had to get BAckpack, to increase YOur capacity :) They obviosly changed it in the store :D
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Sherab86 wrote:This might be misleading. Backpack as an item do not give any carrying capacity. It is only for appearance. I bought it not reading the description, because I tought it is obvious it should increase my inventory space. But no, no... :P
Before we had backpacks as clothing items, the "Increased capacity" was indeed called "Backpack" - so you will still find older players that call it this way. But you're right, now the backpacks are just cosmetic and offer a little visual camo...
Image Image Image

Return to “General Chat”