Cutting my teeth on ducks

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Re: Cutting my teeth on ducks

Post by baloo.the.dog »

these are my 3 favorite spots, all have had good success
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Cutting my teeth on ducks

Post by gas56 »

SoftShoe wrote:As I said earlier I bought the 36 decoy bundle & was having fair success. 3-4 ducks would break from every flock. Well I decided to splurge just a little more & put the 4 spinning decoy bundle in my set as well & the results are remarkable. Now with every flock that comes by 10+ will break towards me. Allot more then I can shoot! I also noticed that with the spinners they seem to break from farther away too. It has made me aware of a whole new problem I have to *****. How to prioritize my targets. There are so many birds coming in I need to get better at planning how to engage them. I will knock down 2-3 & the rest will be out of range by the time I get on them. I carry 2 shotguns. I lead off with the 20ga auto then when it runs dry switch to the 10ga. Doing so the best I have managed was downing 5 birds in a single flock but 2-3 is more typical.
The best timing is to watch the ducks as they come in and congregate very close to each other when they make there break from the flock coming toward your call & decoy set-up.
Try shooting at them this way when you can take down a group of birds in one shot.
Like I said timing is just a matter of watching how the ducks emerge together for just a second and that's when you want to shoot...... ;)

P.S. make sure they're within range also when you do it and the pattern of the shotgun covers them..... :D

Return to “General Chat”